CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

Regardless of the CDC announcements. From a British point of view there is little chance of any cruising this side of the pond or with Brits and Europeans until Easter 2021 at the earliest.

In many parts of the UK now travel out of your local authority is severely restricted (Wales ) and a quarter 16m Brits are in some form of local lockdown.

We are booked on Splendour in May 2021 , Southampton to Southampton so no flights etc and think this is now at best 50/50 as to whether it sails?

According to multiple sources, the CDC wanted to extend the no-sail order until February. Under pressure from the tourism industry and others, the White House overruled the CDC and blocked the no-sail extension.
I am not taking a political position on this controversy, but as you decide when/if you will cruise again, I think you should be aware of this controversy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

According to multiple sources, the CDC wanted to extend the no-sail order until February. Under pressure from the tourism industry and others, the White House overruled the CDC and blocked the no-sail extension.
I am not taking a political position on this controversy, but as you decide when/if you will cruise again, I think you should be aware of this controversy.

David, I didn't see you make a political statement when Europe or French Polynesia opened for cruising.  What difference does it make whether the no sail expires in October or February, once the protocols are established and approved then we can start cruising.  CDC can make a de facto ban by not establishing requirements and not approving protocols.  Why does everything have to be so political around here?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

8 hours ago, mrlevin said:

David, I didn't see you make a political statement when Europe or French Polynesia opened for cruising.  What difference does it make whether the no sail expires in October or February, once the protocols are established and approved then we can start cruising.  CDC can make a de facto ban by not establishing requirements and not approving protocols.  Why does everything have to be so political around here?

I don't see  David's post as "political".  It is a statement of what has been reported by many sources about the CDC and White House interactions related to cruising.

So I'm not sure what you mean by your question of why does everything have to be so political around here?  If "around here" refers to Cruise Critic boards, are you suggesting David shouldn't have reported on the controversy on Cruise Critic? 

• Like 5

White House meeting with cruise industry postponed.  I wouldn't expect a quick rescheduling.

https://www.porthole.com/white-house-meeting-postponed-due-to-positve-covid-19-tests/

Also, apparently two more cases at the WH.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-coronavirus-positive/h_b1d31a097a5d9158ce3d98600cc8608d

Azamara just cancelled all cruises until spring 2021, so that they can launch the cruises based in Europe.   They are launching 1 ship per month with them all to be up and running by May 2021.

Would not be a stretch to see Regent do something similar.   Maybe they would also have a ship or two based in North America

19 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Azamara just cancelled all cruises until spring 2021, so that they can launch the cruises based in Europe.   They are launching 1 ship per month with them all to be up and running by May 2021.

Would not be a stretch to see Regent do something similar.   Maybe they would also have a ship or two based in North America

This sounds so sensible.  Not that Azamara has done everything right, but this sounds right.  Why can't Regent do something like this? Of course, Azamara has lots of British customers, many more than Regent I suspect, so deploying in Europe makes sense.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This sounds so sensible. 

Similarly, Seabourn has cancelled sailings on all but one ship through April/May 2021.  Odyssey they still have sailing starting January 15, 2021.  Seems like they are doing what some thought Regent would do - have one ship start things off, then stage returns of other ships in other geographies.  I'm hoping that is what Regent will do, as it would boost confidence in them having a plan.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

HHS Secretary Azar and CDC Director Redfield ............................................ cautioned that the cruise industry would have to backstop their venture to resume operations

What does that mean?

Usually it would have to deal with having sufficient funds and resources; I think this might have to do with the ability of cruise lines to handle an outbreak on a ship without need for shore based government resources.  Maybe there is a desire for cruise lines to have third party insurance and resources to cover the cost and efforts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Usually it would have to deal with having sufficient funds and resources; I think this might have to do with the ability of cruise lines to handle an outbreak on a ship without need for shore based government resources.  Maybe there is a desire for cruise lines to have third party insurance and resources to cover the cost and efforts.

That's it mrlevin without the last sentence.  This was stated months ago in the initial requirements that cruise lines have in place contracts and procedures to take care of passengers and crew without impacting government or private facilities and services on shore. 

Just like in some states auto insurance is not required as long as the drivers show proof of financial responsibility equal to or above the minimum insurance requirements cruise lines would only need third party insurance should their own resources cover the ability to pay.

This requirement has been in work from the beginning and includes on board staff and facilities to take care of any sick passengers/crew, the ability to transport without impacting on shore facilities and hospital facilities that won't impact others.

• Like 1

Local media here in Central Florida are reporting a proposal by cruise lines to start "test cruises" out of Port Canaveral.  Reports did not include details on what that means, but one could speculate it could be short "bubble cruises" with mostly sea days and a stop at the lines' private islands.  One of the posters on the Oceania board reported a conversation with a neighbor who is an exec with DCL--presumably Disney Cruise Lines--who said the cruise lines are planning a re-start on 01 December 2020.  Port Canaveral is Disney's home port.  Princess cancelled all its cruises for 2020 except for sailings out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, and sailings from Miami make up the bulk of Regent's sailings still listed for December.  So, maybe some tea leaves are pointing in this direction?  Folks on CC.com have been speculating for a while that Florida ports and cruises to the private islands could be the first start-ups.  As always, of course, all speculation and only time will tell.

Edited by loriva
Misspelling

I'm concerned with both on-board and on-land medical protocols, as I think those may be the highest bars for the cruise lines to meet.  I understand they may not provide copies of contracts with healthcare systems, but I'd want to know exactly who is under contract and what the protocols are in case of minor and/or major infectious outbreaks.  I also would like to be assured of quick and full cash refunds, rather than a cycle of FCC's before I put any money into limbo.

But, to a point I've made peace with 'now times' - but lucky enough to have quite a few forest preserves near by, the ability to still take some decent walks in them and enjoy the small beauties of nature, and count myself fortunate.

• Like 1