New to FCC and have a question

Laceygrace

Hello,

Our honeymoon was booked on the now sold Veendam.  We plan to take the FCC and use it to upgrade our cabin.  After talking to our amazing PCC today I may be way off in guessing how much FCC we could expect and would like an experienced opinion.  We had already made several payments (not paid in full).  If our first payment was $500.00 but we made additional payments to total $2,000 paid should we be expecting $500 extra or $2,000 extra on top of the total $2,000 paid to date?  (Amounts are for examples).  I assumed we would receive an extra $500 because I thought our first payment would count as our deposit,  but our PCC said we should be getting our original full $2,000 plus an additional $2,000.  After everything this last year has brought I just want to be realistic and not get my hopes up.  Any advice is appreciated.   Thank you.

I'll take a stab at it for you.

I think the way it works is that you can use your minimum required deposit funds (doubled in value) from your cancelled cruise as deposits to book a new cruise. You can apply additional amounts paid (in excess of your required deposit funds) from that cancelled cruise to a existing or a new cruise on a dollar for dollar basis, but not as deposits.

This is confusing, but I think what they're trying to do is let you use your deposit money from a cancelled cruise as a deposit, doubled in value, for booking a new cruise.

Amounts paid in excess of the deposit amount are not doubled in value and are not usable as deposits. If you paid these in cash you could get a refund instead (eventually), or have them applied to your Mariner account as a Future Cruise Credit to be applied as payment on another cruise, but not usable as a deposit.

This makes much more sense.   Am I able to apply the excess funds towards taxes and port fees?  If the new cruise is less would the overpayment be available as credit I could use for the spa,  etc or would that only be able to be used on another future booking? 

The letter I got from HAL said they will give us double the amount already payed UP TO THE BASE FARE OF THE CRUISE. (You get no bonus for port fees and taxes, just the original amount.)

That means you should get an addition $2000 on top of the $2000 you paid.

The leftover FCC can be used for cruise fares, but not for on board purchases.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

I was on the telephone with my big box TA and HAL earlier today working on this issue.  Our Great Alaskan Explorer cruise (9/21) on the Maasdam was cancelled by HAL.  I confirmed that all of the money that was paid on the cruise to date will be doubled as a FCC (not just the initial deposit).  I used a FCD when i initially booked and added the March, 2020 DH Promo.  I also had other dollars credited from a cancelled air reservation.   I booked a new cruise today.  I had to pay a new deposit (I used another FCD that I had).  The FCC will not be available for some time.  It could be a couple of months I was told.  So none of the money I paid toward the cancelled cruise could be used today for a new booking.  However, the HAL rep. told me that when the FCC lands in my account, I can apply it to the cruise I booked today.  That's what sealed the deal for me to take the FCC versus a refund. When I apply the FCC when it is available, I'll have FCC remaining to use on another cruise booking. 

8 hours ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I was on the telephone with my big box TA and HAL earlier today working on this issue.  Our Great Alaskan Explorer cruise (9/21) on the Maasdam was cancelled by HAL.  I confirmed that all of the money that was paid on the cruise to date will be doubled as a FCC (not just the initial deposit).  I used a FCD when i initially booked and added the March, 2020 DH Promo.  I also had other dollars credited from a cancelled air reservation.   I booked a new cruise today.  I had to pay a new deposit (I used another FCD that I had).  The FCC will not be available for some time.  It could be a couple of months I was told.  So none of the money I paid toward the cancelled cruise could be used today for a new booking.  However, the HAL rep. told me that when the FCC lands in my account, I can apply it to the cruise I booked today.  That's what sealed the deal for me to take the FCC versus a refund. When I apply the FCC when it is available, I'll have FCC remaining to use on another cruise booking. 

Thank you for sharing!

So, I had 100 dollars pp on a Rotterdam cruise. It was an FCD. I opted for the FCC double the amount which would be $400.  I did this two days ago, and today only 100 dollars pp showed up in my account.  When I go to book a cruise, it also doesn't show up at checkout. However it showed available in my account. So I didn't get double the amount, and cant apply even though it is in the account. I guess I will call. 

Monitoring this thread. Our deposit was 600, had only paid 1400 for a cruise with 4 people. Was told by our BBTA that we should expect 700 pp. Today I checked and only had 350 FCC in my account. Also, no accounting for the previous 1400 paid.

I have one thought on not seeing the doubled amount in your account.  The HAL rep. told me yesterday that our doubled deposit for the cancelled cruise would be split between the two of us.  Is it possible that the other half of your deposit is under another account/mariner number/name? 

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreCruise said:

I have one thought on not seeing the doubled amount in your account.  The HAL rep. told me yesterday that our doubled deposit for the cancelled cruise would be split between the two of us.  Is it possible that the other half of your deposit is under another account/mariner number/name? 

I haven’t checked yet, but assume each mariner number would have received the FCC. What I can’t explain is why $350. My initial deposit was $600, I had paid $1400 at the time of cancellation.  If it’s double the deposit I should have $300 (600*2/4 passengers) if it’s off the $1400 I should have $700(1400*2/4 passengers) 

I’ll call later this week to get the details. 

Just a heads up, called my BBTA yesterday. The FCC I saw on my account is correct, however it doesn’t show the amount I had paid from my previous and cancelled cruise. Hence why I was only seeing half. HA and my TA were able to apply everything correctly to my new booking and even transferred over my OBC from my previous booking.

I’m curious how this is going to play out for us.  Our March cruise was cancelled by HAL a few days before sailing.  We opted for the FCC.  We used that FCC on. March 2021 Veendam cruise.  HAL cancelled that cruise, thanks to the sale of the ship.

Do we get even more FCC or just the amount we previously had from the original cancellation?   We haven’t received the official email from HAL on how to handle this cruise that was paid in full.

if this plays out too long can we get our original monies back as a refund?  Who thought it would be a year before we could sail again?  

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m curious how this is going to play out for us.  Our March cruise was cancelled by HAL a few days before sailing.  We opted for the FCC.  We used that FCC on. March 2021 Veendam cruise.  HAL cancelled that cruise, thanks to the sale of the ship.

Do we get even more FCC or just the amount we previously had from the original cancellation?   We haven’t received the official email from HAL on how to handle this cruise that was paid in full.

if this plays out too long can we get our original monies back as a refund?  Who thought it would be a year before we could sail again?  

We are in the same boat!  I spoke to our PCC today and she said our deposit on the August cruise would be doubled, and the FCC we added to it from our cancelled April cruise would go back into our mariner account  - however, I'm waiting to see exactly what will happen.  I did submit the form in the email to say we would take everything as FCC.  I have a difficult time figuring it all out.    We had our deposit from the April cruise show up as a doubled FCD on our account (I think!) and today, when I took advantage of a free cruise  offer for an oceanview cabin, and upgraded to a verandah for $199 each,  they used that FCD against what I owed.  It is too much for my little brain to figure out.  

I think it is possible to "change your mind" and just ask for everything back as a cash refund - however it's going to take some time....

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We are in the same boat!  I spoke to our PCC today and she said our deposit on the August cruise would be doubled, and the FCC we added to it from our cancelled April cruise would go back into our mariner account  - however, I'm waiting to see exactly what will happen.  I did submit the form in the email to say we would take everything as FCC.  I have a difficult time figuring it all out.    We had our deposit from the April cruise show up as a doubled FCD on our account (I think!) and today, when I took advantage of a free cruise  offer for an oceanview cabin, and upgraded to a verandah for $199 each,  they used that FCD against what I owed.  It is too much for my little brain to figure out.  

I think it is possible to "change your mind" and just ask for everything back as a cash refund - however it's going to take some time....

Oh yes, requesting a refund will take time alright. We were 1 week into a 6 week cruise in March when we were dumped off Oosterdam on 3-14. We originally requested a FCC, but after getting home and realizing how nasty the virus was, we changed our minds and sent an email requesting to change from FCC to refund. That was March 30th. We are still waiting, and now with the 4 ships that sold and canceling cruises, who knows how long this will take. Our refund request is over $20,000 by the way..

Update:  our 17 day Greenland cruise is now a 7 day Historic Coast Cruise out of Boston.  They took the FCD turned FCC and then said no additional deposit needed. I’m still pitching a smallish fit that losing 200 pp OBC seems unfair.  I did advise my PCC that this type of treatment is how you lose loyal customers.  May consider the refund path.

30 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Update:  our 17 day Greenland cruise is now a 7 day Historic Coast Cruise out of Boston.  They took the FCD turned FCC and then said no additional deposit needed. I’m still pitching a smallish fit that losing 200 pp OBC seems unfair.  I did advise my PCC that this type of treatment is how you lose loyal customers.  May consider the refund path.

I am not seeing that new cruise on the site.  We are also on the Greenland one - late August and no news yet.

45 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I am not seeing that new cruise on the site.  We are also on the Greenland one - late August and no news yet.

It's on the Zaandam out of Boston.  It sails on 8/21/21.  We had been scheduled to do it this year but ### hit the fan.