Cruising Solo

chirurgeon

I have never sailed on Celebrity. I was SUPPOSED to sail to Alaska next month with a group of friends. Oh Well. We have rescheduled for next August. Because my roomie has sailed Celebrity before, we are are going with a booking discount as opposed to using our 125% future cruise credit. My roomie has plans for another cruise that doesn’t interest me, so if we both choose credits, I need another cruise to go on. I loved the Panama Canal cruise I went on a few years ago on another line, so I was contemplating another Panama cruise. I’ve never cruised solo and since I haven’t been on Celebrity before, I’m vaguely apprehensive booking a solo trip. I’m leaning towards getting a refund, but I have a while to ponder. 

Pros? Cons? Opinions?

P.S. My roomie and I are hoping to sail the Disney Wish in her inaugural year, but who knows how long she will be delayed.

Edited by chirurgeon
Spelling

Over the years, I've met plenty of solos cruisers on Celebrity ships and I find Celebrity passengers overall to be very friendly and welcoming.  

One suggestion for you would be to check in on the roll call for a cruise you are considering.  Strike up a conversation and I bet you'll find others will welcome you, making it easy for you to get to know other Celebrity cruisers before you sail.  If you need help finding a specific roll call, let me know and I'll be happy to provide a link to a specific sailing.

I wouldn't hesitate sailing solo on a Celebrity ship.  

• Like 2

Just noting it is also easy to just be to yourself if you want that. I don’t cruise to make “friends”. I will talk with others, but I am very selective about who I let into my life to the point I would call them a friend - takes longer than a week on a ship for that to happen. I guess I am weird because I do not get the concept of a simple shipboard meeting making you true friends (or I just see friendship as something deeper than many).

I am perfectly content to curl up with a book and read. Never been made to feel weird about not being a social butterfly.

• Like 1

Another frequent solo cruiser here. Agree with everything that has been said above. I have found that most people are creatures of habit. Once they find an activity they like, such as trivia, they go every day. Find a bar you like, strike up conversation with others, and there is a good chance you will see those same folks again, around the same time, on other evenings.  I have been invited to dine or join activities  with others whom I met thru these kinds of situations. You can always politely decline if you don’t want to do it. Most cruisers, especially after a beverage or two are very friendly. 

I would second the idea of connecting with the roll call for your cruise. Easy to get to know others on your cruise, join shore excursions others are setting up, even set up your own, as I have done often. You can also find out who else is travelling solo and extend an invitation to meet onboard and possibly  arrange  to have dinner on the ship either once or twice , or even set up a standing plan for any in the group to show up for dinner at a prearranged time each evening. All kinds of possibilities!

• Like 2

A few years ago I ended up solo on a cruise in Spain due to the last minute illness of my friend.  The most important thing I did was join the cruise's roll call and join shore excursions arranged by others.  I was with groups almost every day and had a great time.  I also asked about others staying in the same hotel in Barcelona and had people to share dinner the 3 nights I was in Barcelona. Cruisers are very welcoming; you just have to reach out.

Carolyn

• Like 3

On 7/16/2020 at 10:01 PM, chirurgeon said:

I have never sailed on Celebrity. I was SUPPOSED to sail to Alaska next month with a group of friends. Oh Well. We have rescheduled for next August. Because my roomie has sailed Celebrity before, we are are going with a booking discount as opposed to using our 125% future cruise credit. My roomie has plans for another cruise that doesn’t interest me, so if we both choose credits, I need another cruise to go on. I loved the Panama Canal cruise I went on a few years ago on another line, so I was contemplating another Panama cruise. I’ve never cruised solo and since I haven’t been on Celebrity before, I’m vaguely apprehensive booking a solo trip. I’m leaning towards getting a refund, but I have a while to ponder. 

Pros? Cons? Opinions?

P.S. My roomie and I are hoping to sail the Disney Wish in her inaugural year, but who knows how long she will be delayed.

Love cruising solo. Since DH has health issues and we no longer sail together I either go solo or with a friend or my sister.  Always join the roll call and once organized a pre cruise dinner the night before the cruise. Once on board go to sail away. I always choose a dining table for 8 therefore lots of people to talk to go to shore excursions with,  shows etc

Still in touch with many of these people.   For me there are many pros cant thing of one con.