Flat Iron to Iron Clothes ?

I read somewhere that  you can use your (hair) flat iron to iron your clothes (well - sort of)  😀

Has anyone tried this ? - What brand/type of flat iron

Thanks 

(I know this sounds like a trivial question during these trying times - but still optimistically planning on cruising - next booked one is in December ) 

Edited by GreenValleyDogWalker
typo

just buy clothes that  do not require  pressing 😎

I only take  DH linen shirts if i know  i can use  the irons onboard  otherwise  wash wear  only goes in the suitcase

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

Not sure what line you are going on but I know on NCL you can ask your steward for an iron/ironing board or call housekeeping to get one.

No need to improvise with a flat iron or a waffle maker.

Oh - I forgot about that ! - Seems that I did that once - several years ago and I had to wait for a long time for them to be delivered - but - will certainly try that again - thank you so much 

Ha ha ha - a "waffle maker"  ???

1 hour ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Oh - I forgot about that ! - Seems that I did that once - several years ago and I had to wait for a long time for them to be delivered - but - will certainly try that again - thank you so much 

Ha ha ha - a "waffle maker"  ???

Great for perking up seersucker.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

Stewards cannot bring an iron to a stateroom as they are a fire hazard on  ship.  Self service launderettes often have one or two and they are hard wired to the wall.

On which cruise line?  Absolutely not true on NCL ships.  Also NCL does not have self service laundry facilities.

We saw someone at another table with a wrinkled shirt and spent the entire dinner talking about them.  NOT!  haha

I will not spend time ironing clothes.  Don't care enough about it to worry.  And besides, I'm getting a little wrinkled anyway.  

1 hour ago, BlueRiband said:

Self service launderettes often have one or two and they are hard wired to the wall.

What line is that?

I have had to plug in the iron  in the laundry rooms

The irons I've used were not moveable from the boards, so I presume they were hard wired; they have always had a timer on them, so that if accidently left on, it would be for just a few minutes. 

1 hour ago, jocap said:

The irons I've used were not moveable from the boards, so I presume they were hard wired; they have always had a timer on them, so that if accidently left on, it would be for just a few minutes. 

Different lines might have different  rules

last cruise  the iron on one side of the room was not working  I  took the other one to the ironing board closer to the rack

Most have timers that I have used

YMMV

20 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I read somewhere that  you can use your (hair) flat iron to iron your clothes (well - sort of)  😀

Has anyone tried this ? - What brand/type of flat iron

Thanks 

(I know this sounds like a trivial question during these trying times - but still optimistically planning on cruising - next booked one is in December ) 

I have read of people doing this.  Personally, I don't own or have need of a flatiron, but if I wanted to use one this way, I would certainly try it out at home first to see if it actually worked for me.  you might also ask this on the Cruise Fashions board here, see if anyone has experience...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/107-cruise-fashions-amp-beauty/

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

On 7/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, ColeThornton said:

On which cruise line?  Absolutely not true on NCL ships.  Also NCL does not have self service laundry facilities.

We have cruised on 16 different cruise lines (including NCL).  I do not know the current NCL policy on irons since we had never asked on that line, but I do know that every other line we have cruised expressly forbids the use of irons in any cabin.  They are a fire hazard and fire is one of the most dangerous hazards on ay ship.  We have been on some lines (such as certain ships of HAL) that still have laundry rooms that are equipped with ironing boards and irons.   These are provided in a relatively safe environment designed for that purpose.  But these days, even the laundry rooms are disappearing from most modern cruise ships as most cruise lines prefer to avoid the potential safety and maintenance problems associated with that type of facility.  I suspect that the lines that still have public laundry facilities will eliminate that option since it would be a place that could foster the spread of viruses.   Social distancing in laundry rooms is a problem and constant sanitizing would be an additional burden on cruise line staff.

Hank

I have used one for edges of shirts or the plackets (areas where the buttons or button holes are) if they get puckered up after washing.  Mostly did this in college when I had a flat iron but not a clothes iron!  🤣  Might be hard to do a full garment but works for small touch ups.