FRED OLSEN LINE

Rotterdam

We have always liked HAL and have always wanted to sail with Fred.Olsen.  The itineraries have just not worked for us yet.  We like the smaller ships and, after viewing the videos on YouTube of the renovations Fred.Olsen has made to these two ships, we are very interested.  We do look forward to sailing with Fred.Olsen line when cruising is actually possible again. 

I tried to sail with FO this year on March on Boudicca but the virus arrived and the cruise cancelled... so I moved my booking to the Balmoral on September but this cruise has been cancelled as well. Moved again to the Braemar next year.

I think FO offers nice small ships, good itineraries and a good choise of different categories for solo travellers.  Just hoping the virus will let to start sailing again!

Hello,

I haven't sailed with Fred. Olsen. I was sat next to a lady on Ventura who had sailed with them and she said that whilst they were very friendly and tried hard, the operation was 'amateur' - I remember that word distinctly.

Saying that, I would be interested in cruising on one of the former HAL ships with Fred. Moreover it would not surprise me if any of the current/former ships of CMV found their way to Fred. Olsen either.

Regards,

Cublet

• 1 month later...

Hello,

CMV used to sail out of Bristol, I could walk to the port from my house in about 15 minutes. The ship was the (very) old Marco Polo that never had balcony cabins that I must have as the aircon gives me nose bleeds in confined cabins from about day 9.

But it looks like Fred. Olsen is basing Borealis in Liverpool and Bolette is split between Dover and Southampton.

Regards,

Cublet

• 5 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

I haven't sailed with Fred. Olsen. I was sat next to a lady on Ventura who had sailed with them and she said that whilst they were very friendly and tried hard, the operation was 'amateur' - I remember that word distinctly.

Saying that, I would be interested in cruising on one of the former HAL ships with Fred. Moreover it would not surprise me if any of the current/former ships of CMV found their way to Fred. Olsen either.

Regards,

Cublet

That just sounds like P&O snobbery to me.....sailed with Fred three times & on each occasion there was a nice cross section of passengers.  Food was pretty good (& we usually cruise with Oceania) & service impeccable with lots of long serving crew.  Nothing amateur about them at all.  I'll miss Boudicca & Black Watch, but will give the HAL ships a go as Fred often have itineraries that Oceania dont.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:32 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

I have sailed on both Fred Olsen and P&O. I don't think Fred Olsen are "amateur" at all. They provide a more traditional cruise experience, a bit like CMV did but to a higher quality. The experience and passenger demographic are both very British and they do cater generally for the older age groups.

Their ships are small and, by today's standards, old but they look after them well and constantly update interiors etc. They are not flashy or glitzy (although some of the carpets are somewhat bizarre) but are comfortable. I don't know if this will translate to other countries but the ships are more 'country house' than 'boutique' style.

Their current prices are very high, especially when compared to the mega-ships of today. Not sure if this is due to the pandemic or not...

I'm hoping to be back with Fred on Balmoral next year, having had two cruises with them cancelled due to the current worldwide crisis.

• Like 1