They should be upfront about Inspiration and Fantasy soon

Cruiseboy06

Maybe they are going for a cup of Turkish coffee?

To all of the Pollyannas maybe you should look at the events of the last several weeks - after all where there is smoke there is often fire.

several weeks ago - rumour upon rumour upon rumour that the Oceana from P&O UK - a Carnival company would be sold. All the naysayers saying no no no - sure enough - sold.

for the last several weeks rumour upon rumour upon rumour that the Maasdam and Veendam from Holland America - a Carnival company would be sold. Again the naysayers saying no no no. Then shocker of shockers - this week HAL sold those ships plus two more.

Carnival has said they are planning on divesting themselves of 13 ships in the nearterm. There you have five ships, plus the one or two Costa ships - again preceeded by many rumours that have been sold.

Simple math dictates that another four Carnival company ships are on the block - perhaps one or two Aida ships - also Carnival - and Fantasy/Inspiration are obvious tRgets - after the coffee of course.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Maybe they are going for a cup of Turkish coffee?

To all of the Pollyannas maybe you should look at the events of the last several weeks - after all where there is smoke there is often fire.

several weeks ago - rumour upon rumour upon rumour that the Oceana from P&O UK - a Carnival company would be sold. All the naysayers saying no no no - sure enough - sold.

for the last several weeks rumour upon rumour upon rumour that the Maasdam and Veendam from Holland America - a Carnival company would be sold. Again the naysayers saying no no no. Then shocker of shockers - this week HAL sold those ships plus two more.

Carnival has said they are planning on divesting themselves of 13 ships in the nearterm. There you have five ships, plus the one or two Costa ships - again preceeded by many rumours that have been sold.

Simple math dictates that another four Carnival company ships are on the block - perhaps one or two Aida ships - also Carnival - and Fantasy/Inspiration are obvious tRgets - after the coffee of course.

Don't forget Princess and others. Fantasy/Inspiration may well be gone, but gone where? For sale or for scrap? There is even an outside chance of a transformation. Carnival Corp has announced ship sales, but how many for scrap?

Three of the eight Fantasy class ships have not been upgraded with balconies. Those ships include Fantasy, Imagination and Inspiration.  So two of these ships are on there way to be scraped. I wonder if the Imagination will be heading that direction as well?

15 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Being aware and complying are two different things.  They are currently under court order to fix illegal dumping issues they have been found guilty of violating.

I doubt Corporate told Princess or others to dump. They perhaps looked the other way. Most cruise lines have been busted at one time or another.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

So why 2 of the oldest ships in the fleet are on the way to Turkey????????  

Fantasy is the oldest, built it in 1990, but the Inspiration was built in 1996.  The ships older than Inspiration are Ecstasy built in 1991, Sensation 1993, Fascination 1994 and the Imagination 1995.

Only three of the eight Fantasy class ship have not been upgrade with balconies (Fantasy, Imagination and Inspiration). 

Updated list

Previously sold

Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise

Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)

Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV

Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV

P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure

P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed

Costa Victoria - sold for scrap

P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen

HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen

Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises

Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Very Likely

Carnival Fascination - sold for scrap

Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap

Carnival Elation - sold for scrap

Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap

Carnival Ecstasy - sold for scrap

Carnival Fantasy- sold for scrap

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Updated list

Previously sold

Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise

Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)

Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV

Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV

P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure

P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed

Costa Victoria - sold for scrap

P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen

HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen

Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises

Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Very Likely

Carnival Fascination - sold for scrap

Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap

Carnival Elation - sold for scrap

Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap

Carnival Ecstasy - sold for scrap

Carnival Fantasy- sold for scrap

I disagree ever so slightly on your "very likely" list. Id be surprised to see Fascination or Elation sold/scrapped before Sensation due to her age. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I disagree ever so slightly on your "very likely" list. Id be surprised to see Fascination or Elation sold/scrapped before Sensation due to her age. 

Fascination was spotted in Malta and is due to arrive in Cadiz soon. It’s one to watch. Age doesn’t matter in terms of profitability and short-term expenses. A required dry dock per maritime law can be very expensive and it would be a good business move to get rid of those ships if somewhat older.

• Like 2

This has been somewhat standard practice for cruise lines for years and years. They don't announce a ship heading for the breakers until the last minute. It's kind of a PR thing, because usually they're headed to Alang India, which is notorious for having almost non existant safety regulations. I'm sure Carnival Corp is very concious of that fact, due to their recent enviromental issues. I'm heartbroken about the loss of Inspy and Fantasy I love them both. 😪

Edited by heffy2
added content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heffy2 said:

This has been somewhat standard practice for cruise lines for years and years. They don't announce a ship heading for the breakers until the last minute. It's kind of a PR thing, because usually they're headed to Alang India, which is notorious for having almost non existant safety regulations. I'm sure Carnival Corp is very concious of that fact, due to their recent enviromental issues. I'm heartbroken about the loss of Inspy and Fantasy I love them both. 😪

I think typically a ship recycler doesn't take ownership until they they run the ship aground so technically they aren't sold, and everything is subject to change, until that event. Meanwhile Carnival would still be free to continue to shop the ship.

I think Sensation recently had a dry dock maintenance.
so they may not sell it

At this rate, if they keep on selling more ships, their capacity will be severely reduced and cruise fares will go up substantially after this virus pandemic is over.
I am looking forward to the virus becoming extinct but not inflated Cruise fares.

Ok so I read on here a few weeks ago an idea that was being floated around that the Sunrise was up for sale. Any more word on that?
I think that Carnival is done selling ships for now.

Selling so many ships already shows their desperation to generate cash flow.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, drsel said:

I think that Carnival is done selling ships for now.

Selling so many ships already shows their desperation to generate cash flow.

I think Carnival Corp will make every effort to move 13 ships this year. Costa has already shed 2 (Victoria, neoRomantica); Holland America has shed 4; and P&O has lost 1 ship. The only question will be how many Carnival Cruise Line and Princess shed. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Holland America make some more cuts. HAL's longer itineraries will be the hardest to bring back, and their older passenger base only compounds the issue.

Those 13 will be in addition to the scheduled 2021 departures.

It’s frustrating having had a reservation for my 60th birthday for a 2/14/2021 cruise booked for sometime. Fascination out of OSJ. Final payment will be coming up in a few months. Looking at the upcoming sailings there are none listed until 9/2021. I’ve already cancelled 2 land vacations to Hawaii. I’m not saying “poor me”,as family and I are healthy, thank God, just the unknown is frustrating. I’d like to be able to make different arrangements if the cruise is cancelled. We booked an airbnb on Vieques pre cruise, and would probably try to extend that. But visiting SJ right now has it’s own issues, having to have the negative Covid test 72 hours before you arrive, which would mean anyone cruising out of OSJ. The whole situation is complicated. 

10 hours ago, drsel said:

At this rate, if they keep on selling more ships, their capacity will be severely reduced and cruise fares will go up substantially after this virus pandemic is over.
I am looking forward to the virus becoming extinct but not inflated Cruise fares.

Not really, lets assume both the Fantasy and Inspiration  sold for scarp and I think they probably are. The Fantasy holds  2,675 (max)/2052(double) and the Inspiration holds 2,610(max)/2,056(double) . Together that is 6285(max)/4108 (Double) When the Mardi Gras  comes online it will have a total Capacity 6500(max)/5282(double) passengers. That is a increase of 215 passengers than the max occupancy and 1,174 passengers at a double occupancy.

Since two Mardi Gras ships are in the works, I would require more than 4 fantasy ships to result a net loss in passengers.

Yes I know the Mardi Gras is not service yet, but I think it quite possible it will be finished before any of the ships are allowed to sail. 

A side note, has anyone notice the official name of the Mardi Gras is just that and NOT Carnival Mardi Gras???

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Inflated cruise fares would only occur if demand remained strong. This cruiser is totally done sailing for the foreseeable future, and I suspect I am not alone. So fewer ships combined with weak demand may not result in higher prices. In fact, if the prices did rise, demand would surely fall, and the business model of mass market cruising may no longer work. You can see it in the stock prices now, and I think they could fall a lot more.... perhaps to zero. 

• Like 1