Hurtigruten Antartica Nov/Dec 2020?

khle

Anyone think that this is going ahead due to the current pandemic situation? It becomes more unlikely that cruises in other parts of the Americas will proceed anytime soon - but what about a Hurtigruten Antartica Expedition cruise in Nov or Dec 2020? Is there a likelihood or wishful thinking?

3 minutes ago, khle said:

Anyone think that this is going ahead due to the current pandemic situation? It becomes more unlikely that cruises in other parts of the Americas will proceed anytime soon - but what about a Hurtigruten Antartica Expedition cruise in Nov or Dec 2020? Is there a likelihood or wishful thinking?

Where are you based? That might also reflect what happens?

Just now, bones774 said:

Where are you based? That might also reflect what happens?

Ontario/Canada. Would be a direct flight from Toronto to Santiago (Chile). There it's a night in Santiago and then onward with the Hurtigruten organized flight with LATAM to Punta Arenas.

Thank you! I heard and read great things. We has a trip booked this month with Hurtigruten in Alaska but that was canceled - so we decided to go for the FCC and applied it to this trip. I hope there's good chances but one never knows given the fluidity of the situation.

I really hope the voyages to Antarctica can take place, and there's still time until the season starts, but on the other hand the pandemic is still raging through many countries in South America, and there is unrest in the whole of Chile. If you think back what happened in March when cases were just beginning and still the ports were closed firmly against cruise ships and expedition ships I wouldn't be too optimistic. I remember when Roald Amundsen, Hurtigruten's brand new ship with healthy passengers on board, was turned away and had to re-route to the Falklands where the passengers were at last able to disembark.

But I'd really love to see the Antarctica season begin without hindrance. But I'm also not sure if all nationalities will be accepted in Chile even if I keep all my fingers crossed for us all.

• Thanks 1

I suspect if it does go ahead it will be  with ltd capacity (even further than the norm 500 - rather like the 350 UK ones for Sep) so they can bypass the cruise size limitations .. And then it will be down to is starting port open and are you allowed to travel yourself.. Canada I hope should be ok by then as long as they keep the US border closed - US I doubt.. The rest - well it depends on how bad a winter surge is or isnt..

If not I think the boats will stay in Norway or EU and we'll get some interesting and well priced Northern EU Expeditions

Yes, I was absolutely envious when I saw all these lovely voyages to lesser-known and small ports around the British Isles from September onward, which are only offered on Hurtigruten -UK. On our national site voyages to Norway and to Spitzbergen are offered . Hurtigruten seems to split up and arrange voyages now to different nationalities , lesser passengers and smaller ports which is quite a sensible idea in this summer season full of uncertainties. And the prices are really affordable at the moment, reduced in comparison to 2021 where they seem to be eye-watering in some cases...

Yes, they do have some interesting itineraries for Northern Europe - I believe they will also make it to Iceland shortly - with the restrictions and requirements put in place.

South America - incl. Chile isn’t looking too good right now - but it depends how it develops.

If the first one in October doesn’t go ahead it’s likely a bad sign for the entire Antarctica season this year - they will probably keep their ships in the northern hemisphere/Europe at that point. At least that will be an indication then.

One good thing about Hurtigruten is that they appear to pull the plug relatively early - even for Alaska they pretty much canceled early on. Our TA stated that they will likely go ahead unless they are absolutely prohibited from doing so - but there is some natural bias in that assessment.

They also seem to have a good relationship with the ports / authorities --  mainly due to how they operate with small capacity (even before reducing it less) --- I think the problem with antartica will be more to do with what happens in S America.. 

I just received an email today saying we could now book excursions for the UK trips (they haven't been showing up before but now they are) -- hoping thats a good sign - fingers crossed...