Help going from Southampton to Yorkshire

I've got a cruise on Anthem of the Seas next May (2021)  After the cruise I would like to travel up north tp Sheffield to visit where my family is from.   I won't have a car (don't drive) so I have to go by either coach or train.   The coach from what I can see takes about 7 or so hours.   The train is quicker,  but there's one problem.   The last time I was on a train it connected in London (quite likely where Southampton to Sheffield will connect)   and my experience was awful.   Granted it was 25 years ago,   but it was so confusing, and even the staff at the train station could not help at all.   It was a nightmare, and I don't want a repeat performance.   I know it was 25 years ago,   but I don't want the same thing.   Does anyone have any advice that could help me make this trip easier.   I would really like to go,  but I don't want to be lost and confused in a London train station full of unhelpful people.  

By National Express coach is cheapest, but it's about 7 hours because you have to go via a change of coach at central London's Victoria coach station.

On a random date next May.....

- the 10.05 am coach from Southampton coach station (no problem making that time from disembarking a cruise ship) gets to Victoria coach station at 12.50.

- a comfortable 40 minutes to switch to the 1.30 pm coach to Sheffield, arrives 6.05 pm. 

Fare just £13

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

By train the easiest route is via just one change, at Birmingham New Street. Journey time about 4 hours.

(There's an alternative via London, but that means Southampton to London Waterloo, then cross central London by tube or taxi to London St Pancras for the train to Sheffield. Takes 40 minutes longer, costs £10 extra, and that awkward hop between London stations).

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Problem with the train is it's expensive - £95 pp.

Can be cheaper - about £65 by buying cheap advance tickets.

But there are complications, because the UK ticketing terms are very user-unfriendly.............. 

- There are no cheap advance through-tickets for Southampton to Sheffield. But there are for Southampton to Birmingham New  Street and from there to Sheffield. So you book the two separate parts of the journey.

- You can only buy those cheap tickets from about 6 weeks out (so use August / September 2020 dates for research).

- Those cheap advance tickets are only good for the train time that you book. Miss that train and you pay the walk-up fare for the next train. 

- Additionally, the price of cheap tickets varies and they're only available for some train times, so cheapest advance tickets for a train to Birmingham may not be convenient for a cheap advance ticket from Birmingham.

Complicated, innit!! :classic_wacko:

But here's a for-instance.....

10.17 am from Southampton Central arrives Birmingham New Street at 12.48 pm. Advance ticket £41.70

1.03 pm from Birmingham New Street arrives Sheffield at 2.18 pm. Advance ticket £37.20. Total cost £78.90, total time 4 hrs

(or 2.03 pm from Birmingham New Street arrives Sheffield 3.18pm. Advance ticket £23. Total cost £65, total time 5 hrs) 

A whole little internet industry of "split-ticketing" has developed because of the complications, but also the savings, when buying separate tickets for different parts of a journey  - and that can even include a journey involving just one direct train by buying separate tickets to and from an intermediate station.:classic_rolleyes:

Best-known website is https://www.splittraintickets.net/

Their results are the same as mine, but I've just saved you their £1 booking fee :classic_biggrin:

Can I suggest you bookmark those websites, and book next year  - about Jan / Feb for coach, or March / April for train

JB :classic_smile:

Just to add to JB's comprehensive answer:

Birmingham New Street was completely modernised in 2015 and your change will only mean walking from one platform to another. All platforms can be accessed by lifts (elevators) so you should have no problems with wheeled luggage.

Both legs of your journey will probably be on "Cross Country Trains" although each part will be a different train.

You may find this website helpful: https://showmethejourney.com/train-station-guide/station/378-birminghamnewstreet Note the part abot how platforms are split into 'A' and 'B' parts along their length. Only the longer trains will use both parts (I have no idea if the train to Sheffield will be a long one) so you should be aware of this when you make your way to the platform.

Edited by Bob++

We've transferred at Birmingham New Street quite often and as Bob++ has said it was modernised in recent years and we find it pretty easy to navigate, with clear signing. We travel from the North frequently and will avoid travelling through London at all costs.

The A / B parts of the platforms at Birmingham NS  aren't a problem. It is usually shown on the electronic boards where the train will be arriving and you can make your way there.

Another option might be to change at Wolverhampton and it is often recommended by train companies. It is a much smaller station and it could be that your train from Southampton stops there as well as your onward train to Sheffield.  I would agree with booking the two parts of your journey separately: I always find that cheaper.

I book 12 weeks in advance but try dummy bookings in the 2 weeks before I expect the journey to be available so I know what price I should expect to pay. 

Let me know if I can help you any more 

9 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

Another option might be to change at Wolverhampton and it is often recommended by train companies. It is a much smaller station and it could be that your train from Southampton stops there as well as your onward train to Sheffield.

The Sheffield train heads northeast from Birmingham, so it does not call at Wolverhampton. The only possible change on this journey is at New Street, unfortunately. 

Cross Country currently only have 25% capacity on each train due to ‘social distancing’ requirements and you should book a space on a particular train, even if not on an Advance ticket. Their booking window is severely curtailed too, you can only book a few weeks in advance at the moment (12 weeks is when usually you should start looking for cheap Advance fares). 

Who knows how long this will last. I strongly recommend that you start looking at the situation early in the New Year for your travel in May and please come back here for any more advice you need! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

The Sheffield train heads northeast from Birmingham, so it does not call at Wolverhampton. The only possible change on this journey is at New Street, unfortunately. 

Cross Country currently only have 25% capacity on each train due to ‘social distancing’ requirements and you should book a space on a particular train, even if not on an Advance ticket. Their booking window is severely curtailed too, you can only book a few weeks in advance at the moment (12 weeks is when usually you should start looking for cheap Advance fares). 

Who knows how long this will last. I strongly recommend that you start looking at the situation early in the New Year for your travel in May and please come back here for any more advice you need! 

Please accept my sincere apologies Cotswold Eagle / Everyone. I try to make sure anything I post is accurate but failed abysmally here, by getting my wires crossed. I used to live near Leeds and used the route via Sheffield many times so I should've known it didn't go via Wolverhampton.  Sorry and I hope I didn't confuse the OP 

Thanks for all the advice.   it's been really helpful.   I like the idea of taking the train through Birmingham instead of London.   I'm giving myself plenty of time looking into things and hopefully things will improve enough for me to book in enough time.  

• 4 months later...

I endorse the advice to change trains at Birmingham New Street - much easier than trekking across London from Waterloo to St Pancras. New Street is well setup for connections. 

It does seem there are fewer train options nowadays. I remember travelling direct from York to Southampton Central (via Sheffield) and vice versa only a few years ago.