CL/SL future when cruising returns.

Wow...you sure got some replies on this one Graham.  😉   

Guess I am just so tired of the politics of the SL/CL conflict...we have just given up and simply enjoy our glass of wine before dinner on our own balcony.  No waiting for a seat...best view...and very relaxing.  🤗😙🍷

All the lounges are getting so crowded now...and the DL has been made much worse with so many D baby boomers coming on board.  Yikes...just 80 points to make it to D?  And now D+ kicked out of CL going back to the DL?  Yeah...not worth it to go there.  

However...to keep to subject.... IMHO (and everyone has one of course)....the CLs are finished.  Some smaller ships don't even both to change the name on the door to SL...they just kick out the D+  and use it as an SL.  

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Sounds like we have a 3 piece band. We could call ourselves, "The CruiZers". The more those in the DL drink the better we sound. At least the more I drink the better I think I play. 🤣 

With my terrible singing voice Royal might employ us all to clear all the lounges and everyone would use their vouchers elsewhere.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I remember when we sailed on Allure the Diamond lounge location in Sept 2015 was replaced on Harmony when we sailed on her in May 2016 by Wonderland restaurant.

Awww...I miss the original CL on Oasis/Allure on deck 11 (which turned into DL and Wonderland).   Had to the option to order a hot lunch (though limited), with comp beer and wine...was never crowded.  Lots of room and nice view.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have two acoustics.... Yamaha 6 string and Takamine 12 string. My Mason & Hamlin grand is my real love but it, obviously, isn't very portable.

The Dr in our house has too many guitars for me to keep track. I accuse her of having a bigger collection than Steve Miller. Lol. She has a drum set too. 

M8

18 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Am I correct that when the Concierge lounges were opened, they were intended for suite passengers but at some point D+ ( the highest category at that time) was allowed access?  

Is there anyone on this thread that can recall if this is correct? 

Thanks.

m

Ds were welcomed into the CLs not that long ago.  Kicked out...came out with  "Diamond Events"..(which I loved actually) and then RCI installed the keyed entry DLs.   Now...D+ kicked out of CLs.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We sailed Grandeur,  Brilliance and Rhapsody within the past year and all three still had a CL.  We also sailed Majesty and there is no lounge of any kind.  

M

Never was...but totally enjoyed the "Diamond Event" (while it lasted) up in the VCL.  🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Awww...I miss the original CL on Oasis/Allure on deck 11 (which turned into DL and Wonderland).   Had to the option to order a hot lunch (though limited), with comp beer and wine...was never crowded.  Lots of room and nice view.  

Yes, those were the best.  The limited menu still had enough good choices.  Sat down, ordered lunch and wine and enjoyed watching the divers and acrobats practice.  How sweet it was!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

I was very clear. 

The part you are missing is that the 'original' Oasis Class DL was on deck 6 forward above Starbucks. Ridiculously small and no windows. 

Whst you know on deck 4 is an improvement 

It did have 3 or 4 tables overlooking Promenade that were pretty cool

Yup, and Happy Hour was in Blaze...since DL was so small.  

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Never was...but totally enjoyed the "Diamond Event" (while it lasted) up in the VCL.  🙂 

On Majesty, the waiters would walk around holding three or four bottles of wine and constantly refilling glasses.  The best times were had when John Denton was Hotel Manager.  He really cared about those who were D+.  Do you remember the special lunch gatherings at the Wacky Seagull?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, little britain said:

IIRC, on March 30, 2009**  they stopped the Ds going into the CL, and made the CL just for D+  and Suites; , but there was such an uproar that by Sept 2009 they introduced the Diamond Event (wine and beer in a room).  
There was no DL fleet wide, only on Freedom class, Oasis and Allure then, but they gradually built a new DL location on other ships. 

Jan 21, 2011 they changed their points structure and introduced Pinnacles (and Emeralds)

**I remember this exact date as that was the same date I turned Diamond and they took the benefit away! 

We were on a longer Jewel cruise to the PC when "the change" happened  bounced right over that silly short level of Emerald and went right to Diamond from Platinum.  Drats...never got pinned for Emerald.  😉 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...you sure got some replies on this one Graham.  😉   

Guess I am just so tired of the politics of the SL/CL conflict...we have just given up and simply enjoy our glass of wine before dinner on our own balcony.  No waiting for a seat...best view...and very relaxing.  🤗😙🍷

All the lounges are getting so crowded now...and the DL has been made much worse with so many D baby boomers coming on board.  Yikes...just 80 points to make it to D?  And now D+ kicked out of CL going back to the DL?  Yeah...not worth it to go there.  

However...to keep to subject.... IMHO (and everyone has one of course)....the CLs are finished.  Some smaller ships don't even both to change the name on the door to SL...they just kick out the D+  and use it as an SL.  

Thanks Pat.

Your opinion is always valued and very similar to mine.

Since they took Sauvignon Blanc from the Diamond list the lounges lost their appeal for us and even in Europe the DLs are now full or nearly full.

We went into the CL on Explorer in October but I agree the CL name is finished and they will be SLs when cruising returns.

We prefer to  have a drink in the champagne lounge and then use our vouchers in Chops or Giovanni's where the wine tastes nicer.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I remember they had containers on tables with nuts/nibbles in during the diamond event.

The best one (IMHO) was on Freedom in the huge forward lounge.  We had sooooo much fun in that one.  😁  The best times were with huge turn out for the "Diamonds in December"  program.  Everyone so festive and happy with the holiday season.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yogimax said:

On Majesty, the waiters would walk around holding three or four bottles of wine and constantly refilling glasses.  The best times were had when John Denton was Hotel Manager.  He really cared about those who were D+.  Do you remember the special lunch gatherings at the Wacky Seagull?

OMG...yes!!  We adore JD!  Saw him briefly just before cruising stopped...he was on the dock doing a stint on Empress.  Miss him a lot, he was the best HD ever!  He invited us to a dinner one night on MJ, great time...got seated next to him and had wonderful conversation...he kept us all laughing!  Treasured photo in my living room of that dinner.  🙂 

Yes, really enjoyed his special event on Coco Cay.  Great times there as well.  Never missed not having a DL/CL/SL on that ship..and still felt very special as a D+.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Diamond lounge location in Sept 2015 was replaced on Harmony when we sailed on her in May 2016 by Wonderland restaurant.

Don’t know how I missed this. Harmony NEVER had a DL on Deck 11 so it couldn’t be replaced. 😇

Just like our media, I know some like to make it a takeaway. It was on Oasis only. Maybe Allure soon. 

M8

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Pat.

Your opinion is always valued and very similar to mine.

Since they took Sauvignon Blanc from the Diamond list the lounges lost their appeal for us and even in Europe the DLs are now full or nearly full.

We went into the CL on Explorer in October but I agree the CL name is finished and they will be SLs when cruising returns.

We prefer to  have a drink in the champagne lounge and then use our vouchers in Chops or Giovanni's where the wine tastes nicer.

Thanks Graham...very kind of you!  🙂  

First time we were on EX, there was just the CL (the dark closet with no windows) and no DL.  We much preferred using our drink vouchers to sit at the circle bar up in the VCL with that great view.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Or the profits will be lower. The cruise lines can’t just charge whatever they want. 

They can charge what people are willing to pay. There will always be people willing to pay more. Heck, I'd pay more to be on a half empty ship! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Don’t know how I missed this. Harmony NEVER had a DL on Deck 11 so it couldn’t be replaced. 😇

Just like our media, I know some like to make it a takeaway. It was on Oasis only. Maybe Allure soon. 

M8

Harmony from new in 2016 had Wonderland restaurant in the location where Allure DL was in 2015.

We were on Harmonys second sailing in May 2016 from Southampton and again in June 2016 and September 2016 from Barcelona.

Harmonys DL has always been on deck 4.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG...yes!!  We adore JD!  Saw him briefly just before cruising stopped...he was on the dock doing a stint on Empress.  Miss him a lot, he was the best HD ever!  He invited us to a dinner one night on MJ, great time...got seated next to him and had wonderful conversation...he kept us all laughing!  Treasured photo in my living room of that dinner.  🙂 

Yes, really enjoyed his special event on Coco Cay.  Great times there as well.  Never missed not having a DL/CL/SL on that ship..and still felt very special as a D+.  

Yes, we may have been with you for that dinner.  John Denton was (is) was the best.  I remember we were the only ones left in the DR but we never noticed the time.  At our last dinner with him he told us RCCL was forcing him to retire, but lo and behold, when I looked a little while later he was back.  He lived in Florida and preferred the small ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Just for info Majesty and Empress are doing well over here, in Bournemouth Bay. Empress at anchor and Majesty circling near the Isle of Wight.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, island lady said:

It's interesting to hear about this HD and that HD and what they do....or do not do....for passengers. Makes me wonder if there is a bonus for not spending their budget. Or do they even have a budget. LOL...   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

I guess I did not answer the original question.  Yes, I would still stay in a suite, but we stay in Star Class suites so we would get the drink package, dining package and internet.  The lounge is a nice feature but we do not use it that much anyway. 

Sounds like us !

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, we may have been with you for that dinner.  John Denton was (is) was the best.  I remember we were the only ones left in the DR but we never noticed the time.  At our last dinner with him he told us RCCL was forcing him to retire, but lo and behold, when I looked a little while later he was back.  He lived in Florida and preferred the small ships.

He lives in New Smyrna Beach.  Is he still with Royal?  Also remember Wacky Seagull parties  I believe he was on the Grandeur last I had heard

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1