Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
grapau27

CL/SL future when cruising returns.

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

 

So KSF trumps a pin who actually paid to be on the ship🤔

KSF in a full suite or better.  Of course children receive their parent's C&A level and are entitled to the youth benefits of the applicable level. 

 

I might be in the  minority but I love   seeing families on cruises.  Reminds me of  30 plus years ago when we took our then young children on cruises.  

 

  We enjoy Coastal Kitchen on ships that have it.    We  often sail in the summer or holidays when ships are full of children.  The larger families having diner makes it a bit more difficult for those who want  to eat early,  as many of the tables are used for families of 6  or 8.     Often two smaller tables are pushed together to accommodate families.   Luckily we eat later and generally have no issue. 

 

We rarely see children in the cocktail areas ( on an Oasis class ship) as  it seems the families, especially those with  young children,  are more involved  in  ship board activities and dinner.  Rarely do we see families with young children  just lounging around pre dinner.    Same for  non Oasis class ships with CL or SL.  The night or two we use it, we rarely see children.  Then of course, on non summer sailings, those off season, there are way fewer children  and many more C&A high level passengers.  So, children, regardless if paid or KSF are not an issue.  

 

I am a morning user of the lounges, will visit what  ever lounge is closest to our cabin and  rarely, if ever, see  children of any age in the lounge at that time.  

 

M

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, little britain said:

IIRC, on March 30, 2009**  they stopped the Ds going into the CL, and made the CL just for D+  and Suites; , but there was such an uproar that by Sept 2009 they introduced the Diamond Event (wine and beer in a room).  
There was no DL fleet wide, only on Freedom class, Oasis and Allure then, but they gradually built a new DL location on other ships. 
 

Jan 21, 2011 they changed their points structure and introduced Pinnacles (and Emeralds)

 

**I remember this exact date as that was the same date I turned Diamond and they took the benefit away! 

 

I turned D about a year before they kicked us out of the CL.  DL's didn't exist at that point.  Didn't really care for the Nightly Diamond Event but at least it was something.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Have been on Brilliance/Serenade/Enchantment/Freedom with a CL and the atmosphere is definitely different than our experience with SL (only Oasis Class). CL’s always seem to us to be a competition of who has the most sailings and when they will make P, who can talk the loudest especially after drinks are flowing. Lots of seat saving. 
 

M8

 

If the SL and most CL are  are  both for suite and Pinnacle guests, why would the conversation be so different? Luckily, we've mostly had different experiences.

 

Mid way through our "recent" cruise  on Rhapsody we decided to visit the CL.  Obviously, those in the  lounge were either suite or Pinnacle,( or maybe D+ also).  We met a lovely couple and started conversation.  The conversation NEVER went to accommodations  or  C&A status. (we are not pin wearers). We even had a few dinners together. Wasn't till the end of the cruise that they asked how much we enjoyed our first cruise!  

 

With that said, the positive interaction outweigh the negatives.  Yes - we've come across the   bragging type, but that can happen anywhere.    Had a guy at seated lunch brag that it was his 10th  cruise and he was an expert ( his words)  - ask him anything.  The others at the table  were intrigued that someone could have 10 cruises.  We said nothing. 

 

What ever RCCL decides to do as we move forward,  someone will not be satisficed. 

 

I suspect the  C&A program is the last thing on any top executives mind.  Right now they are struggling   to keep the company solvent. 

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

 

I turned D about a year before they kicked us out of the CL.  DL's didn't exist at that point.  Didn't really care for the Nightly Diamond Event but at least it was something.

 

 

 

And there is the difference.  We were thrilled to have an event where we could get some beer/wine/sparkling wine/soft drink or a discounted drink.   The event was on all ships, even those that did not  have lounges before.  We went from  getting nothing to getting the event.  We were happy!   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Suites will get a "free"* drink package.

 

* $60/person/day surcharge included in suite price.

Someone else may have already pointed this out, but that's only for Star Class suites on ships that offer Royal Suite Class amenities.

 

Sky Class (e.g., Grand Suite, Owner's Suite, Crown Loft Suite, etc.) don't get that perk. They do get free internet for everyone in the cabin, but that's about it from the Cruise Planner offerings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Daghis said:

Someone else may have already pointed this out, but that's only for Star Class suites on ships that offer Royal Suite Class amenities.

 

Sky Class (e.g., Grand Suite, Owner's Suite, Crown Loft Suite, etc.) don't get that perk. They do get free internet for everyone in the cabin, but that's about it from the Cruise Planner offerings.

 

This thread is about guessing whst might happen 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh... duh! I completely misread the post I quoted.

 

Thank you for the gentle tap on the head with your Hammer of Obviousness. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

 

I turned D about a year before they kicked us out of the CL.  DL's didn't exist at that point.  Didn't really care for the Nightly Diamond Event but at least it was something.

 

 

 

I remember they had containers on tables with nuts/nibbles in during the diamond event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

And there is the difference.  We were thrilled to have an event where we could get some beer/wine/sparkling wine/soft drink or a discounted drink.   The event was on all ships, even those that did not  have lounges before.  We went from  getting nothing to getting the event.  We were happy!   

 

 

 

I simply said I didn't care for it but it was something.  Just because I wasn't "thrilled" doesn't mean I didn't appreciate the effort.  I just liked being able to access the CL better. 

 

Edited by voyager70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I remember they had containers on tables with nuts/nibbles in during the diamond event.

 

Yes they did.  Don't think that would work in the current environment!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We were on one of the first cruises with the Diamond  Event...it was clear they hadn’t worked it out yet. It was in one of the card rooms: - trolley with some drinks and a waiter.
No nibbles. So we used to order a plate of cheese and crackers from room service ( remember those days!) and bring it up... then we stopped by the WJ and got some sushi and cold cuts .... it turned into a bit of a joke with the guys on the other tables as to who could be most creative with the canapés!

They then got the hint and started supplying trail mix ( remember those days!) 

Edited by little britain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, little britain said:

They then got the hint and started supplying trail mix ( remember those days!) 

Yes.  I used to pick out the raisins and throw them away !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 In regard to D+ being allowed into the CL on Anthem, I don't believe that will be the case in the future and that it has nothing to do with the pandemic . Prior to the first sailing in January 2020, D+'s ability to use the CL varied by the sailing.  From that first sailing ,I believe was either Jan 4 or 5th, that was no longer the case.  Every sailing  going forward (those that actually got to sail), received a letter stating that due to the numbers of D+ for that sailing, the CL would be only for Suite  and Pinnacle guests. It is my understanding that this was not confined to just Anthem; there were passengers booked on other ships with CL's that also received that message. Was it all CL ships, frankly, I don't know, but while attending the Suite/Pinnacle cocktail party, one of officers in response to a comment about many of the D+'s on board being upset about not being able to use the CL said, "that's the way it's going to be from now on." I spent the month of Feb. on the Serenade and those D+s also received the same letter. So, though the pandemic is definitely going to affect how the lounges will be utilized for the short term,  the D+s have likely seen the last of the inside of the CL or whatever it winds up being called.  

Edited by MaritimeR&R
addtl info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

And there is the difference.  We were thrilled to have an event where we could get some beer/wine/sparkling wine/soft drink or a discounted drink.   The event was on all ships, even those that did not  have lounges before.  We went from  getting nothing to getting the event.  We were happy!   

 

 

To bad the beer was not free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I remember they had containers on tables with nuts/nibbles in during the diamond event.

 

And that is so hygenically friendly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Ok, my apologies.  I just get sick and tired of people who only ever book inside cabins and don't spend an extra dime onboard who moan about their freebies not being enough. 

I would say 50%+ of the P's I've spoken with book an inside cabin, they rarely complain about not enough freebies though. Is it true that HA has a dollar based loyalty program instead of a point(day) based program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Daghis said:

Oh... duh! I completely misread the post I quoted.

 

Thank you for the gentle tap on the head with your Hammer of Obviousness. 😄

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 

If the SL and most CL are  are  both for suite and Pinnacle guests, why would the conversation be so different? Luckily, we've mostly had different experiences.

 

Mid way through our "recent" cruise  on Rhapsody we decided to visit the CL.  Obviously, those in the  lounge were either suite or Pinnacle,( or maybe D+ also).  We met a lovely couple and started conversation.  The conversation NEVER went to accommodations  or  C&A status. (we are not pin wearers). We even had a few dinners together. Wasn't till the end of the cruise that they asked how much we enjoyed our first cruise!  

 

With that said, the positive interaction outweigh the negatives.  Yes - we've come across the   bragging type, but that can happen anywhere.    Had a guy at seated lunch brag that it was his 10th  cruise and he was an expert ( his words)  - ask him anything.  The others at the table  were intrigued that someone could have 10 cruises.  We said nothing. 

 

What ever RCCL decides to do as we move forward,  someone will not be satisficed. 

 

I suspect the  C&A program is the last thing on any top executives mind.  Right now they are struggling   to keep the company solvent. 

 

M

On Explorer in October the top 2 cruisers were in the CL and both were very pleasant.

1 was with her family and the other lady was on her own but chatted to a couple who joined her table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, little britain said:

**I remember this exact date as that was the same date I turned Diamond and they took the benefit away! 


So you’re the one that did it. The one that pushed the number of Diamonds over the edge and forced the cutbacks 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airbusdrvr said:

I would say 50%+ of the P's I've spoken with book an inside cabin, they rarely complain about not enough freebies though. Is it true that HA has a dollar based loyalty program instead of a point(day) based program?

I believe HA is also a point per day system at the moment. All the rewards systems can be changed at any moment though and in this financial climate nothing is off the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

 

If the SL and most CL are  are  both for suite and Pinnacle guests, why would the conversation be so different? Luckily, we've mostly had different experiences.

 

Mid way through our "recent" cruise  on Rhapsody we decided to visit the CL.  Obviously, those in the  lounge were either suite or Pinnacle,( or maybe D+ also).  We met a lovely couple and started conversation.  The conversation NEVER went to accommodations  or  C&A status. (we are not pin wearers). We even had a few dinners together. Wasn't till the end of the cruise that they asked how much we enjoyed our first cruise!  

 

With that said, the positive interaction outweigh the negatives.  Yes - we've come across the   bragging type, but that can happen anywhere.    Had a guy at seated lunch brag that it was his 10th  cruise and he was an expert ( his words)  - ask him anything.  The others at the table  were intrigued that someone could have 10 cruises.  We said nothing. 

 

What ever RCCL decides to do as we move forward,  someone will not be satisficed. 

 

I suspect the  C&A program is the last thing on any top executives mind.  Right now they are struggling   to keep the company solvent. 

 

M

See I was thinking the opposite. The cruiselines are in survival mode and will be for quite some time. I work for a major telecom in Canada and we have an entire major department called "Business Analytics" that is comprised of some of the best math minds.  They analyze, analyze, do more analyzing, and then make recommendations that are usually followed. There is no way that Royal (and the other cruiselines) is not doing a cost analysis on the cost of perks given out vs money spent on board for their loyalty tiers (and new cruisers). With cruising halted there is much time available to do such an analysis as well. I don't believe anything is off the table at the moment.

 

The couple who got my wife and I to try a cruise are good friends of my grandmother and are P. They haven't been able to cruise for a few years due to detiorating health (in their 80's) but when they were cruising they would book only the cheapest inside cabins and bragged about how they wouldn't spend an extra dime on board after their cruise fare. Contrast that with the most my wife and I have ever spent on board a Royal ship was on our first ever cruise. I don't think Royal misses them. 

 

We are D and if they take away our perks away we'll still cruise.....probably with Royal, maybe not with Royal.....or maybe we won't cruise......who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not a suggestion because I would hate to see it, but for all over Diamond, I have long wondered why Royal don't have a large lounge nightly cocktail party with a band and the cheap drinks being brought around on trays.

 

They could do it for just the period between dinner sittings - I am sure it would be cheaper for them, and the Pinnacles could even have their own roped off area to make them feel special

 

Oh, and . . .

The suite lounge should just be for suite guests

A loyalty lounge should just be for loyalty guests

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think suites get drink packs with their booking and the lounge exists as a place to sit and a place to get services from a concierge.  They will space restrict the venues.  

 

Are people ready for the reality of the new cruise experience on ships that are a lot less crowded?  Some may enjoy the slower pace and less crowded atmosphere, but for the mass market packing them in and having jam packed events is part of the cruise playbook.  I think a lot of people are going to be in for a rude shock when cruising returns and they are bored to tears after 2 days onboard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

There are still too many Suite passengers for CL/SL even before social distancing


It seems like each new class of ship has more space dedicated to suites... but I’ve never seen numbers on this. The number of non suite passengers is also growing, so maybe the *percentage* of passengers staying in a suite is actually going down. Anyone know for sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I think a lot of people are going to be in for a rude shock when cruising returns and they are bored to tears after 2 days onboard. 


That’s when the need for free booze kicks in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...