Epic - Med 2022

Misself

Looking at 2022 Epic cruises, and see they are squeezing an extra port in to the itinerary.  Instead of the usual day at sea on Monday they are going to Ajaccio in Corsica.   Then for some reason mixing up the Naples and Rome days some weeks.   Price compared to 2021 is a quite a bit more though, unless 2021 is artificially low to entice bookings.

Interesting.  I've booked two B2B Eastern Med cruises on the Spirit for October 2021.  The first is a 9-day cruise out of Venice and it doesn't have a single sea day.  The second is a 7-day out of Istanbul.  It also does not have a single sea day.  So I'll be 16 days without a sea day.  I'm either crazy or brilliant.  I generally don't really feel I need the sea day when I'm traveling solo like I will be on these 2 cruises, so I'll just focus on the next day's port and get my rest with early nights in bed. 

I wonder if reduced sea days is a trend for NCL?  Perhaps only in the Med.  Who knows.

In the med there are so many interesting ports close to each other(especially in Italy) that there is no need for a sea day. the only sea day you need is (usually) from west coast italy to greek islands or from east coast spain to west coast italy.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, Misself said:

Looking at 2022 Epic cruises, and see they are squeezing an extra port in to the itinerary.  Instead of the usual day at sea on Monday they are going to Ajaccio in Corsica.   Then for some reason mixing up the Naples and Rome days some weeks.   Price compared to 2021 is a quite a bit more though, unless 2021 is artificially low to entice bookings.

Switching has a bonus, particularly if you want to look outside the main tourist areas around Naples.  The archaeological sites apart from the big tourist ones are closed on Tuesdays, so changing round with Rome would allow  for trips around Naples museums as well as places to the North like Pozzuoli and Campi Flegrei.  There is a huge amphitheatre in Pozzuoli that is open to walk round on Wednesdays and it can all be seen without the masses of tourists that you  would get in Rome and Pompei (assuming you have already seen those of course). And Cumae has an absolutely fascinating history and is largely ignored by the bulk of tourists.  We went there a couple of years ago and there were only 3 or 4 other visitors apart from us!

On 7/26/2020 at 11:40 AM, Canadianmama3 said:

I have actually just started looking at those cruises as well.  But the one thing holding me back is the layout of the cabins.  We will be travelling with my 11 year old son.  Is the washroom layout as terrible as some people say?  

We were on the Epic last year my adult daughter and I and we didn’t find the bathroom layout that bad. There is a curtain that you can separate the the bed area from the shower/toilet area. We really enjoyed the Epic. 

On 7/22/2020 at 5:43 PM, CruiseMH said:

In the med there are so many interesting ports close to each other(especially in Italy) that there is no need for a sea day. the only sea day you need is (usually) from west coast italy to greek islands or from east coast spain to west coast italy.

You need it to recover. Many of those shore excursions are very long. I did an 11 day on Spirit a few years ago with only one sea day in the middle - overnight, literally every cabin sprouted a 'do not distrub' sign. Was very funny. 

Believe me,you don`t need it to rest. We europeans are used to having no sea days. If you want a rleaxind holiday you can do a bahamas or bermuda cruise. 😉

I personally help myself by skipping rome.In Civitavecchia i use the day to relax on the empty ship. I was once in rome,didn`t like it at all and so thats it.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, CruiseMH said:

Believe me,you don`t need it to rest. We europeans are used to having no sea days. If you want a rleaxind holiday you can do a bahamas or bermuda cruise. 😉

I personally help myself by skipping rome.In Civitavecchia i use the day to relax on the empty ship. I was once in rome,didn`t like it at all and so thats it.

But if you want to go out from Civitavecchia and don't fancy  the crowds etc in Rome, you could catch a half-day trip to Ostia Antica.   The town was the main port for Rome but was eventually abandoned and was covered in dust until quite recently.  I has been partially excavated and is now classed as second only in importance to Pompeii as a site of Roman antiquity.  Make sure you get a guide to bring it to light and you will find so much about how the Romans lived.  There will be very few others around so is an easy site to see. It is just beyond Fiumicino Airport so is a bit over an hour along what is a pretty quiet main road.