What to do in Belize...with restrictions

INeedAMaiTai

I'm looking for something to do with my blind and disabled mother (so no "sightseeing" or walking tours), that would also be fun for my 14 and 8 year old daughters.Ā  Maybe a beach near the port where we don't have to spend all day?Ā  Something to get us off the ship.Ā  Also, I can always take my mom back to the ship and go venture out with just my two daughters.Ā  Any ideas?Ā  I know this is a difficult question.

I don't think Belize really has a beach near the port. When I went with my son (he was 8 ) we did the cave tubing, it was ok, but not something your mom would be able to do. We are going again in 2022 (fingers crossed) and I'm planning to do an excursion from through the ship, there are some that seem to pick you up at the ship (it's a tender port, unless you are going to Harvest Caye, NCL's port?) so that seems really convenient. There are a few excursions that go to nice little islands with beaches, and snorkeling if you want to do it.Ā 

In port, you have a small area of shopping, typical cruise portĀ  vendors and a small but interesting craft market just outside the port area.

Ā 

There is a manmade beach, called Cucumber Beach, about 20 minutes by taxi from the cruise port.Ā  Used by locals.

Google "Old Belize City" for information.

Otherwise, doing a ship excursion to a "beach day" onĀ  a cay off shore.Ā  Find on that goes to a "resort" where there are facilities, and places inside for your Mom to sit if she wants to, versus one to a sandy cay where they set up a tent to serve food and beverages,Ā  but not other real shelter.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, INeedAMaiTai said:

I'm looking for something to do with my blind and disabled mother (so no "sightseeing" or walking tours), that would also be fun for my 14 and 8 year old daughters.Ā  Maybe a beach near the port where we don't have to spend all day?Ā  Something to get us off the ship.Ā  Also, I can always take my mom back to the ship and go venture out with just my two daughters.Ā  Any ideas?Ā  I know this is a difficult question.

The spice farm might be a good choice they have a large tractor pull a carriage through the spice farm.Ā  and while you mom wouldn't be able to see she can hear the narrative, and they bring lots of samples up for the people to taste and smell of the different spices and fruit.Ā  Lots of sounds too from the birds.Ā  that is a tour that is doable from Placencia area, not sure if you are going to harvest caye or bz city.Ā  If Belize city the zoo might be nice especially if you book a directors tour as you get to be in the animal areas and have alot of narrative.Ā  Ā  Even get to pet the taiper as you feed it.Ā  andĀ  again lots of sounds from the animals

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, lovejone72 said:

Lonedaddy, was the spice farm through the cruise or was is an excursion taken in port?Ā  Thanks šŸ˜‰

I live here in a retirement home but I think they offer as excursion coupled with mayan ruins from Harvest caye