Princess just posted pause till December 15,2020

Our next cruise is booked for Panama, 9 Dec 2020.

Been expecting this.  All we have on the line is a future cruise deposit.

Actually, HAL 'pause' on this cruise saves me the trouble of canceling it.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

I've been saying since at least May that I didn't expect cruising (for North American based lines) to resume in 2020. I'm now at about a 90% probability that it won't resume until at least mid Q2 of 2021, if anything. 

The good news in the latest Princess announcement for consumers is that very few would have paid their balance due and therefore will not be waiting for large refunds.

7 hours ago, Himself said:

HAL suspended through November 30.  I suspect it could be January before HAL actually sails.

Is there a link to that announcement.  I have not seen it.  Thanks

7 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I've been saying since at least May that I didn't expect cruising (for North American based lines) to resume in 2020. I'm now at about a 90% probability that it won't resume until at least mid Q2 of 2021, if anything. 

The good news in the latest Princess announcement for consumers is that very few would have paid their balance due and therefore will not be waiting for large refunds.

Yes they cancelled   cruises 5 month before sailing ...that is different 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Is there a link to that announcement.  I have not seen it.  Thanks

No. Himself has sort of a related inside connection regarding priests on board ships, which has indicated that priests will not be needed prior to Nov 30. But there has been no official statement from HAL.

• Like 1

I'm booked on NA on December 5 out of port Everglades. I've been waiting for a similar announcement from HAL so we could move on with my planning. I talked to my TA who said HAL Is still booking cruises for October of 2020 (she just booked one for a customer). This is all very frustrating and not a good look for Holland America. I applaud Princess for making the decision now so their customers can move on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

No. Himself has sort of a related inside connection regarding priests on board ships, which has indicated that priests will not be needed prior to Nov 30. But there has been no official statement from HAL.

My understanding is many in the Seattle office will be off until November 30 and operations and cruising will start sometime after that. By this time in July, I usually know what cruises will need priests and I do notexpect to hear anything until December at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Himself said:

My understanding is many in the Seattle office will be off until November 30 and operations and cruising will start sometime after that. By this time in July, I usually know what cruises will need priests and I do notexpect to hear anything until December at the earliest.

Many in Seattle are working from home.

2 hours ago, Charlie1422 said:

I'm booked on NA on December 5 out of port Everglades. I've been waiting for a similar announcement from HAL so we could move on with my planning. I talked to my TA who said HAL Is still booking cruises for October of 2020 (she just booked one for a customer). This is all very frustrating and not a good look for Holland America. I applaud Princess for making the decision now so their customers can move on.

I had a similar experience with Holland a few years back.  A website was advertising a full charter for a Jazz cruise.  Holland was still selling cabins on that ship too.  I cancelled my booking.  After a few weeks, Holland cancelled the cruise and turned the ship over to the chartering company.

I do not see a holiday season start up.  I cannot think of anyone who would take their children on a cruise or encourage seniors to do so either.  There will be no safe, widely available vaccine by that time.  

I do not think that given the covid situation in the US and it's trajectory that any cruise line would offer a cruise from a US port.  As non Americans, we would never consider flying into Florida, Texas, California,etc. in order to board a cruise-let alone take one.   Nor is a cruise with masks and the outward appearance of social distancing in the least bit attractive to us.

IMHO, the absolute last thing that any cruise line wants is a covid breakout on their ship.  This would set the industry back.  The CDC and health officials would be all over it.   The lawyers would have a heyday.  It would be a PR nightmare for any cruise line.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

At the risk of being flamed for even bringing it up, and I start by saying that I'm not particularly in favor of it but, How long do you think it would take the industry to consider commencing the Caribbean season (albeit a short one) in a non-US port.  Nassau is less than an hour flight, The D.R. now has some decent piers, and who knows where else within a short flight from Florida. There would seem to be a certain bias of the CDC and other U.S. governmental agencies against non-US flagged ships which drag out any regulatory approval. Does anyone think that this is even a consideration? I could see cash strapped, tourist dependent countries being interested taking on the risk. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Ryten said:

At the risk of being flamed for even bringing it up, and I start by saying that I'm not particularly in favor of it but, How long do you think it would take the industry to consider commencing the Caribbean season (albeit a short one) in a non-US port.  Nassau is less than an hour flight, The D.R. now has some decent piers, and who knows where else within a short flight from Florida. There would seem to be a certain bias of the CDC and other U.S. governmental agencies against non-US flagged ships which drag out any regulatory approval. Does anyone think that this is even a consideration? I could see cash strapped, tourist dependent countries being interested taking on the risk. Just a thought.

I think it is a real possibility.  I do think the caribbean is where the major lines will start with short cruises.