Princess Suspends cruises until Dec 15

Supposedly Heald is doing some big announcement on Facebook tomorrow re Carnival.  I'm sure there's a lot of speculation from folks who enjoy all the various CCL lines as to what's up.  

I don't get why supposedly some of the Princess Australian cruises are paused through only through October 31, when so many other itineraries are gone through December 15.  I wonder what I'm missing; I didn't think Australia would be open that quickly?

I actually applaud Princess for making this decision.  Unless one has been on the international space station,  the reality is that there will a considerable pause in cruising.  I personally find it unconscionable to take deposits and final payments for cruises a line knows (with pretty much certainty)  most probably will not happen.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

I actually applaud Princess for making this decision.  Unless one has been on the international space station,  the reality is that there will a considerable pause in cruising.  I personally find it unconscionable to take deposits and final payments for cruises a line knows (with pretty much certainty)  most probably will not happen.  

Amen!!!

I f Regent is not willing to cancel the questionable cruises out right, at least they should delay the final payment until they are certain the cruise will actually sail.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

The last November cruise, 28 Nov Splendor, final payment date is 31 July; I wonder how close to that date we will get before Regent cancels October and November cruises.

Maybe that is what they are waiting for?  My TA told me that Regent told her I should get "an announcement" about my October booking by the end of this week or early next week, but so far just crickets.

I am booked on 28 Nov Splendor back to back with 7 Dec Splendor.  Will be curious to see how they handle it if they cancel the 28 Nov but not 7 Dec (yet).

Time will tell, this one I am not in too much hurry to find out (i.e., I don't need to do anything since I haven't booked air yet).

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

The last November cruise, 28 Nov Splendor, final payment date is 31 July; I wonder how close to that date we will get before Regent cancels October and November cruises.

I thought final payment was 151 or 150 days before cruise (unless you want to incur penalties) ? Am I wrong here ? So that would be 7/1/2020.... 

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Gcto said:

I thought final payment was 151 or 150 days before cruise (unless you want to incur penalties) ? Am I wrong here ? So that would be 7/1/2020.... 

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

For cruises 15 days or longer 150 days; for 14 days or less is 120 days.  Since we are on the back to back our final payment date was 1 July.

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

For cruises 15 days or longer 150 days; for 14 days or less is 120 days.  Since we are on the back to back our final payment date was 1 July.

Thanks...  I'm following the Explorer right now as we are (hopefully) cruising on it later next year...Seeing all those waitlisted cruises so far on her "trip" from Barcelona to Singapore 

Our next cruise is on 280121 on Voyager from Buenos Aires to Lima . Coming round to the idea that it will not sail, especially as the previous cruises are from Brazil and South Africa, both virus hot spots and South America is not a likely start up location.

Have until October for final payment, so there is time for a change in circumstances !!

We made our final payment for the Explorer November cruise from Barcelona to Dubai.  I find it outrageous if they cancel it now and then take months to refund the money.  We still do not have a complete refund for a Celebrity cruise they cancelled in May.  When I book a cruise I do not expect to give an interest free loan to the cruise companies.  I understand the cash flow problem but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t get my money back immediately.

1 hour ago, tennis said:

When I book a cruise I do not expect to give an interest free loan to the cruise companies

To me the issue is good faith....if when they took your money (mine too after making final payment on an October sailing) they were intending to provide that sailing, then it’s all fair.  If at some point it is shown Regent and all the other cruise lines doing this knew they would not offer be able to offer those sailings I would forevermore not trust them as I always implicitly have.  Problem is, all lines seem to be doing this, so it might leave a choice of who is the least rotten of the lot.

6 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I am booked on 28 Nov Splendor back to back with 7 Dec Splendor.  Will be curious to see how they handle it if they cancel the 28 Nov but not 7 Dec (yet).

I am curious about this also.  Do they share the same booking number?  Would they cancel half of a booking and leave the other half intact?

4 hours ago, tennis said:

We made our final payment for the Explorer November cruise from Barcelona to Dubai.  I find it outrageous if they cancel it now and then take months to refund the money.  We still do not have a complete refund for a Celebrity cruise they cancelled in May.  When I book a cruise I do not expect to give an interest free loan to the cruise companies.  I understand the cash flow problem but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t get my money back immediately.

You may, or may not know this. Barcelona just went back into lockdown due to spike in cases. In any event, the EU is not accepting visitors from the USA, who knows until when that will extend. Good luck but I doubt your cruise will take place

When did you make final payment? Frankly, uncertainties have been known for a while now. If people still want to give their money to the cruise lines, sorry but that's on them. 

Edited by cruiseluv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, johng75370 said:

To me the issue is good faith....if when they took your money (mine too after making final payment on an October sailing) they were intending to provide that sailing, then it’s all fair.  If at some point it is shown Regent and all the other cruise lines doing this knew they would not offer be able to offer those sailings I would forevermore not trust them as I always implicitly have.  Problem is, all lines seem to be doing this, so it might leave a choice of who is the least rotten of the lot.

Its getting very difficult to rationalize at this point that they think these cruises in 2020 are going to happen. So frankly, caveat emptor

• Like 1

16 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

In addition, Princess has changed the final payment date for all cruises departing before 01 May 2021.  Final payments are now all due 60 days prior to sailing, versus previous policy of 90 to 150 days depending on the length of the cruise.  Given ongoing uncertainty of conditions for sailing, both of these moves seem sensible for the company and passengers.

12 hours ago, tennis said:

We were booked on this cruise , but we cancelled late in March one week after paying for custom air and booking our flights.

We thought there was no way this itinerary was going to sail as far back as mid March. While not officially cancelled yet, I believe we were correct in our assessment of the situation.