Silversea vs Azamara

Mackdogmolly

So now that Royal Caribbean has bought Silversea, I have suddenly started receiving promotional emails, the last referring to me as a valued member of their Venetian Society (I have never sailed with them). What can people who save sailed with them tell me about this line. The little research I have done shows small ships, pretty inclusive (including airfare). A little more money, but not that much. Comments?

8 hours ago, gskimmel said:

Every “cabin” is a suite with a butler. Fewer people. Food is outstanding. There are formal nights. Azamara is still our preferred line but Silversea is a close second. 

Ugh, formal nights. Are there alternative dining venues? What’s the passenger mix?

I honestly can’t remember because formal nights don’t bother me too much. On our 10 day cruise, I think we only had one or two formal nights. At night, the buffet area turned into an Italian restaurant and the outside grill area turned into a hot stone restaurant (you are given a hot stone and the food is cooked on that). We are in our mid 40s and were by far the youngest. 

There are alternative dining venues on formal nights if you don't wish to dress up. The basic cabins and bathrooms are bigger & better with walk-in closets & Bulgari toiletries as standard. Food & drink better. If the price were similar I would opt for Silversea, but we have just booked our tenth Azamara. It comes down to itinerary & cost. Not been with Azamara for a while but we still remember them as fun. The Captain will not often come to speak to you on Silversea, but that doesn't bother me at all. Our last Silversea was in January (oh, happy days!) & the demographic younger. Just my opinion. I'm sure you will hear others.

Thanks for the warning about Bulgaria toiletries as I can’t stand them.   The toiletries on Seabourn are all Molton Brown and you have a choice of the different fragrances.   If they merge the loyalty programs I am all for trying Silverseas but I will bring my own toiletries.    I don’t remember what we had on Azamara but whatever it was it did not irritate my skin.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:41 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

So now that Royal Caribbean has bought Silversea, I have suddenly started receiving promotional emails, the last referring to me as a valued member of their Venetian Society (I have never sailed with them). What can people who save sailed with them tell me about this line. The little research I have done shows small ships, pretty inclusive (including airfare). A little more money, but not that much. Comments?

I see this written often. I have never found them to be that close on price. Silverseas always seems to be a lot more expensive than Azamara.  Which isn't surprising as they are a luxury line rather than premium as Azamara is. 

Phil 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I see this written often. I have never found them to be that close on price. Silverseas always seems to be a lot more expensive than Azamara.  Which isn't surprising as they are a luxury line rather than premium as Azamara is. 

Phil 

I guess it’s only when I compare an Azamara suite to one of the SS lowest grade balcony suites (since it’s an all suites line). And their prices do appear to include airfare. I guess what I was after was a comparison of the experience and the passenger mix.

Thanks.

Betsey

21 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Thanks for the warning about Bulgaria toiletries as I can’t stand them.   The toiletries on Seabourn are all Molton Brown and you have a choice of the different fragrances.   If they merge the loyalty programs I am all for trying Silverseas but I will bring my own toiletries.    I don’t remember what we had on Azamara but whatever it was it did not irritate my skin.

From what I understand, at least at this time, the loyalty programs will not be merged.

How everyone's tastes are different! I absolutely love the Bvlgari gel/shamoo they have in suites on Celebrity. So much so that I bought this. Not cheap, but so nice and fixes my craving whilst I can't cruise. Not sure if this is the same one they have on Silverseas. 

Little and large!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZRPNKQ4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Phil 

EBC5DB4F-F7CC-4F9F-98B3-A4AE916512DF.jpeg

2C66B298-A59F-4B36-9C02-BBB760B93011.jpeg

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I agree, Phil, I really like this and I brought some home with me - along with a bunch of the soaps (both glycerin and regular) which are also lovely.   This Bulgari white tea is standard issue on Oceania with 2 different tea "flavors"  (green and blue) tfor the upper cabins and suites.   Never experienced the latter.  

• Like 2

We prefer Azamara’s relaxed ambience and found AZ guests friendlier and more down to earth. SS felt a little more European in service and guests. However, as others have mentioned AZ can’t compete regarding size of the basic suites and all-inclusiveness and quality of beverages. It’s AZ lack of quality in beverages and what we think is a declining price to value ratio that has us considering SS or SB again. If I can get SB or SS for only $250 more a night (or less) to me it’s a no-brainer and overall a better value.

1 hour ago, AllisonJames said:

We prefer Azamara’s relaxed ambience and found AZ guests friendlier and more down to earth. SS felt a little more European in service and guests. However, as others have mentioned AZ can’t compete regarding size of the basic suites and all-inclusiveness and quality of beverages. It’s AZ lack of quality in beverages and what we think is a declining price to value ratio that has us considering SS or SB again. If I can get SB or SS for only $250 more a night (or less) to me it’s a no-brainer and overall a better value.

Thanks. This is the sort of information I was after.

Betsey

15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

How everyone's tastes are different! I absolutely love the Bvlgari gel/shamoo they have in suites on Celebrity. So much so that I bought this. Not cheap, but so nice and fixes my craving whilst I can't cruise. Not sure if this is the same one they have on Silverseas. 

Little and large!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZRPNKQ4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Phil 

EBC5DB4F-F7CC-4F9F-98B3-A4AE916512DF.jpeg

2C66B298-A59F-4B36-9C02-BBB760B93011.jpeg

Not that we travel up the pointy end of a plane very often, but these are also provided by Emirates on the rare occasions we find ourselves in that very comfortable area of an A380 on a 14 hour flight. 😃

• Like 3

12 hours ago, the mice said:

I agree, Phil, I really like this and I brought some home with me - along with a bunch of the soaps (both glycerin and regular) which are also lovely.   This Bulgari white tea is standard issue on Oceania with 2 different tea "flavors"  (green and blue) tfor the upper cabins and suites.   Never experienced the latter.  

I should have said had in suites in Celebrity. I understand they are no longer and being phased out in favour of wall dispensers with a different product. Such a shame, but nice to still be able to enjoy it at home!

Phil 

• Like 2

Bulgari Green Tea is the standard issue on Silversea. The 'tea bags' for the bath with the same fragrance are also available. Lovely!

Phil, I think we did our last of 9 Azamara cruises about 5 years ago & I recall your name from these boards then. Indeed, I think we were on at least one cruise with you. We've booked for January 2022. Will we find it very different?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nuneham said:

Bulgari Green Tea is the standard issue on Silversea. The 'tea bags' for the bath with the same fragrance are also available. Lovely!

Phil, I think we did our last of 9 Azamara cruises about 5 years ago & I recall your name from these boards then. Indeed, I think we were on at least one cruise with you. We've booked for January 2022. Will we find it very different?

Hard to tell with the way the world is at the moment, but hopefully it will be the same friendly ship it's always been. Certainly my Jan/Feb trip was the same standard.

Have a great trip. I haven't stuck my toe back in the water yet and am waiting impatiently!

Phil 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I should have said had in suites in Celebrity. I understand they are no longer and being phased out in favour of wall dispensers with a different product. Such a shame, but nice to still be able to enjoy it at home!

Phil 

It's been awhile since we were on Celebrity but are they placing wall dispensers in their suites?  I thought they were only doing it in their non-suite cabins.

2 hours ago, gskimmel said:

It's been awhile since we were on Celebrity but are they placing wall dispensers in their suites?  I thought they were only doing it in their non-suite cabins.

Right at the start I said, dispensers could harbour germs that could transmit between guests.  This was a view that was robustly challenged on this forum.  Its interesting major hotel chains are removing the refillable bottles as part of their post Covid regimes.  I would expect the cruise lines to follow, this is the challenge of recycling vs safety.

• 3 months later...

I've done (2) Silversea Cruises, (2) Celebrity Cruises, and (1) Oceania Cruise. I am tentatively booked on my first Azamara Cruise. Assuming Azamara and Oceania are close, then I can say that Silversea is reallly a nice step up. If price was close, I would grab Silversea in a heart beat.

That said, my budget is more suited for the "premium" category and I am looking forward to a nicely priced Azamara Cruise that I am hoping to enjoy very much.

I have been getting lots of mailings from Silverseas .  I haven't sailed on that line.  As a former marketing research person, I know that I am being targeted.  I have sailed on RCCL, Celebrity, and Azamara. I get almost nothing from them.  Somebody in Royal marketing has decided to push me toward Silverseas.  Since Silverseas has formal nights, it isn't going to happen.  Until the world is safe again, no cruises for me. 

There are many unique and subtle benefits to Silversea (with corresponding upcharge). But the two most memorable items, were the ability to ask for a custom meal 24 hours in advance. 

We had a great server from Singapore and another great server from India and on two separate days asked if they could arrange a taste of their favorite flavors. What a great experience. No additional cost and served in the main dining room. Hope this gives you an idea of how the experience might be different.

• Like 1

Treating me like a child by unnecessarily telling me when I have to wear a jacket or suit or tie is enough of a "difference" for me.  After 30+ years in business and nonprofit organizations, I know when and where such attire is appropriate...and when it's just a charade.  I don't need a cruise line to tell me.  So I cruise lines that treat me accordingly.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2