Silversea vs Azamara

Mackdogmolly

Our first cruise with Silversea was to have been in September from Alaska to Japan so interested to read what everyone is saying. We were really looking forward to trying another cruise line. So we are now doing Iceland Intensive in July with them. We don’t mind dressing formally and don’t feel we are being told what to do. We go with the flow and will decide afterwards whether or not we will cruise with them again. Never had a butler before so that will be something new. Otherwise I don’t think it will turn our heads and take us away from Azamara. 

• Like 1

My husband and I love to dance.  Azamara has both a white night party and usually a lounge band with, although small dance floor. it's do-able.  Can anyone tell me about dancing on Silversea?  In addition, we don't stay up until midnight to dance like on the bigger ships.  We like to dance anywhere from 6 pm - 11 pm as we are usually off the ship very early in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a reply to various threads above!!! I'm living in UK & have sailed with silversea since 2005!! Having done almost 45 cruises with other lines before our  experience with luxury line silversea... Most of our early days where royal Caribbean,p&O, Cunard

( Nothing wrong then we were younger & louder !!!)  I'm I night owl & love to dance so most nights after dinner we are up in the panorama lounge dancing the night away ( 2-3am )!!!but we also during the day meet fabulous people who don't do late nights but meet up around the pool after a day out & have a great catch up of our day!!! Yes silversea is very ( in my opinion) very special & high end( did I just say that!!!) 

It's so chill out very relaxing & fabulous people...yes it's dress code( which we enjoy)

Any one can do jeans& shorts at home) .we love to dress for dinner & to us my husband & I no night is casual!!! He always has shirt & tie and dinner suit!!!

But it's all about what you want from cruising... There the cruise line out there for most people... But don't takeaway the feeling of us wanting  to look smart ...👔anyone can do jeans & shorts anytime... But not on silversea...  There's also weather permitting dancing on deck under the stars with chocolate buffet.yum yum!! But the one thing is who ever you meet & want to joint for drinks it's all inclusive all day &night anywhere on ship & cabin fridge stocked with what ever you request🍾!! photo of my husband on last night informal night( note no informal for us ... We have missed 2 cruises this year 😢

Anyway have had to many wines now & getting boring but let's hope were all back to doing what we love most crusing 🚢 keep safe 🙏 regards uk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

This is a reply to various threads above!!! I'm living in UK & have sailed with silversea since 2005!! Having done almost 45 cruises with other lines before our  experience with luxury line silversea... Most of our early days where royal Caribbean,p&O, Cunard

( Nothing wrong then we were younger & louder !!!)  I'm I night owl & love to dance so most nights after dinner we are up in the panorama lounge dancing the night away ( 2-3am )!!!but we also during the day meet fabulous people who don't do late nights but meet up around the pool after a day out & have a great catch up of our day!!! Yes silversea is very ( in my opinion) very special & high end( did I just say that!!!) 

It's so chill out very relaxing & fabulous people...yes it's dress code( which we enjoy)

Any one can do jeans& shorts at home) .we love to dress for dinner & to us my husband & I no night is casual!!! He always has shirt & tie and dinner suit!!!

But it's all about what you want from cruising... There the cruise line out there for most people... But don't takeaway the feeling of us wanting  to look smart ...👔anyone can do jeans & shorts anytime... But not on silversea...  There's also weather permitting dancing on deck under the stars with chocolate buffet.yum yum!! But the one thing is who ever you meet & want to joint for drinks it's all inclusive all day &night anywhere on ship & cabin fridge stocked with what ever you request🍾!! photo of my husband on last night informal night( note no informal for us ... We have missed 2 cruises this year 😢

Anyway have had to many wines now & getting boring but let's hope were all back to doing what we love most crusing 🚢 keep safe 🙏 regards uk

Forgot photo ... Here goesIMG_20191007_194530.thumb.jpg.f8202a1c4e7df195d3dacd95c443a789.jpg

7 hours ago, Lvshack said:

But don't takeaway the feeling of us wanting  to look smart ...👔anyone can do jeans & shorts anytime... But not on silversea.

Just to say that shorts are not permitted in the indoor dining venues in the evenings on Azamara. You can wear jeans as long as they aren't ripped or distressed, but in reality few do. So rather than casual it's smart casual. There's quite a difference. 

My experience has been if one wants to wear a shirt and tie as your husband does he most definitely won't feel out of place. I always take shirt and tie and jacket and like to look smart when the occasion (whatever that might be) dictates. But I don't have to think X night is formal so must get dressed up which I like. 

I just wanted to clarify your thought that evening dress on Azamara is casual because it's not unless one goes to the buffet or eats at The Patio, although the latter venue many there aren't casual.  In fact for me personally I'd rarely if ever eat at either venue in shorts. I don't want to put anyone off their food with my legs!

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I would say from our experience across the whole cruise Azamara guests are very smart every evening- can be casual but always smart. Better than some lines where formal nights have many smart but the other nights are variable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I would say from our experience across the whole cruise Azamara guests are very smart every evening- can be casual but always smart. Better than some lines where formal nights have many smart but the other nights are variable. 

Agree

16 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Just to say that shorts are not permitted in the indoor dining venues in the evenings on Azamara. You can wear jeans as long as they aren't ripped or distressed, but in reality few do. So rather than casual it's smart casual. There's quite a difference. 

My experience has been if one wants to wear a shirt and tie as your husband does he most definitely won't feel out of place. I always take shirt and tie and jacket and like to look smart when the occasion (whatever that might be) dictates. But I don't have to think X night is formal so must get dressed up which I like. 

I just wanted to clarify your thought that evening dress on Azamara is casual because it's not unless one goes to the buffet or eats at The Patio, although the latter venue many there aren't casual.  In fact for me personally I'd rarely if ever eat at either venue in shorts. I don't want to put anyone off their food with my legs!

Phil 

Dear Phil ( with the not so glamorous legs!!!) I did not mean to question the dress sence of the azamara guest I was only putting my input to the question of is silversea dress code .... I just wanted to comment that I think in general it maybe a little more formal then azamara code... Yes I agree that azamara do smart casual ,silversea do casual first & last night of cruise & other nights are informal ( collar &tie) and formal ( black tie) I'm sure my husband & I would feel very at home on azamara as we will dress as we feel .but not being all inclusive it's not for us as we love to meet people & dine& drink with them so the all inclusive makes for a very relaxing experience 🚢🍾

As I said earlier let's hope we all get to cruise again very soon.i so miss being at sea 🚢... Didn't intend to offend anyone 🙃 

3 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Dear Phil ( with the not so glamorous legs!!!) I did not mean to question the dress sence of the azamara guest I was only putting my input to the question of is silversea dress code .... I just wanted to comment that I think in general it maybe a little more formal then azamara code... Yes I agree that azamara do smart casual ,silversea do casual first & last night of cruise & other nights are informal ( collar &tie) and formal ( black tie) I'm sure my husband & I would feel very at home on azamara as we will dress as we feel .but not being all inclusive it's not for us as we love to meet people & dine& drink with them so the all inclusive makes for a very relaxing experience 🚢🍾

As I said earlier let's hope we all get to cruise again very soon.i so miss being at sea 🚢... Didn't intend to offend anyone 🙃 

Ps Phil sorry to our  relating to jeans being non ripped is still a pair of jeans.. could cost over £1000 but still just jeans ( sorry)😢

On 11/19/2020 at 2:04 PM, Grahambythesea said:

We’ve cruised 2 Azamara and have a third booked for ‘22; loads of Celebrity, love Blu for Aqua class, but have never heard from Silverseas. Maybe they aren’t bothering us poor Europeans, soon to be even poorer Brits! Must know we won’t be able to afford it. 🥴

Correction it's silversea ...I'm a Brit and being sailing with silversea since 2005...

Would not consider any mainstream line( don't get me wrong have 35plus cruising with royal Caribbean,p&o etc  much younger then & louder) but now we have experience of luxury lines silversea , regent, crystal would never look back!!! All inclusive & always exclusive 🍾👔🚢 ps I still love to party !!!!

6 hours ago, Lvshack said:

No offence taken. I just wanted to clarify the dress in the evening which you seemed to suggest is casual on Azamara when it isn't. And the dress code on Silversea is most definitely different to Azamara as you suggest and another reason a consolidation wouldn't work. 

As to the jeans, I happen to agree with you. The rule on them was changed a little while ago from previously no jeans. Thankfully dress code debates are very few on this board though. 

Phil 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lvshack said:

....I would feel very at home on azamara as we will dress as we feel .but not being all inclusive it's not for us as we love to meet people & dine& drink with them so the all inclusive makes for a very relaxing experience 🚢🍾

Indeed, and that is the key difference, Azamara (and Oceania) are 'premium' lines and not luxury....that label is for Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal (perhaps a couple of others too).

On our only Azamara cruises, 2 B2Bs in the Caribbean we met a couple who spent their days complaining that Azamara 'was not Regent'....well, it couldn't be and we tried to point out the unfairness of their criticism. The only luxury line we have cruised with is Crystal, and Azamara didn't begin to compare with that line either....obviously.

We enjoyed Azamara, apart from the main dining room experience which was no better than the mainstream cruiselines. The specialty restaurants recovered the dining experience for us, they were superb and for a package of 3 very fairly priced. But for that, we would have been somewhat disappointed overall.

Edited by hamrag

With the plethora of cruise lines, it should be easy to find one that makes you happy.  After years of formal nights, we now prefer cruises that don’t have them.  For those who still like dressing up, there are cruises for you. They no longer interest me.  I prefer smart casual,  comfortable cabins, upscale amenities, excellent food and service.  Good entertainment is a bonus.  I dislike people on any cruise that gripe. You chose the cruise you are on. If you made a mistake, chose a different vacation next time.   I don’t go on vacation to listen to negativity. I enjoy pleasantness.  Smile, be nice, and enjoy.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We cruise to relax and to enjoy our relationship with one another. We do enjoy fine dining in a nice small restaurant atmosphere with impeccable service and excellent food choices and variety.  We do not cruise to hear or to discuss negativity issues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Seems obvious to me, the match, Silversea Vs Azamara 

Not sure where the 'match' idea comes from, they operate in totally different markets. Silversea are in the luxury market, along with Crystal, Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas. Currently, Azamara consider themselves to be a competitor to Oceania in the premium market although no-one knows in which market the new owner will pitch them.

So, if any match is to take place right now surely it's Az V's Oceania!

Edited by hamrag

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Not sure where the 'match' idea comes from, they operate in totally different markets. Silversea are in the luxury market, along with Crystal, Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas. Azamara consider themselves to be a competitor to Oceania in the premium market.

So, if any match is to take place surely it's Az V's Oceania!

If you look It was the title of this thread, Azamars vs Silversea nothing more than a pun on that.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, TeeRick said:

Silversea is the only game in town for the RC Group for smaller premium ships as of the announcement today selling Azamara to Sycamore Partners.  We have been considering Silversea for Galapagos itineraries.

Celebrity has small ship Galapagos cruises.  We did a 10 day package with hotel and Quito-Baltra flight.