Two Carnival Cruise Ships Have Been Sold and Two Others Going to Long Term Lay-Up Status

shof515

Link: https://cruisefever.net/two-carnival-cruise-ships-have-been-sold-and-two-others-going-to-long-term-lay-up-status/

from the article:

Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Inspiration have been sold.
Carnival Fascination and Carnival Imagination will move to a long term lay-up status
Carnival Sensation will move from Miami to Mobile and take up itineraries previously assigned to Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Fascination
Carnival Sunrise will move from Port Everglades to Port Miami and assume the itineraries previously operated by Carnival Sensation
Carnival Fascination itineraries from San Juan and Barbados have been cancelled for 2020-2021
Carnival Radiance will now move directly from Europe after its $200 million transformation and home port in Long Beach in April of 2021

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on the repositioning on the fascination from san juan to mobile in January 2022. Just got the cancelation email. #6 cruise cancelled. Got the $600 obc and 100% FCC. So, here I go again. I thought 2022 would be a go. This is the 5th time I have moved this cruise. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

John Heald is reading off the Press Release right now on FB Live.

So that is the big shake up we've all been wondering about.

Hmmm.

Interesting that a transformed ship will be doing 4 and 5 day cruises.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I feel the same way about Breeze though. I’m surprised they’re putting another sort of new ship in California. It seems like Panorama prices have been down compared to Vista and Horizon.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If you are talking about the Sunrise, that's all she was doing out of Lauderdale. We have 3 cruises booked on her out of Lauderdale but guess we are going out of Miami now. Does anyone know what the iteneraries on the Sensation were?

Pat

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That’s even worse.

What's funny is that in three weeks time we were bumped from the Radiance to the Breeze,  and then bumped from the Imagination to the Radiance. Go figure! 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jamman54 said:

What's up funny is that in three weeks time we were bumped from the Radiance to the Breeze,  and then bumped from the Imagination to the Radiance. Go figure! 😎

Sounds like a good trade.

13 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The Press Release made it sound like Meyer Turku had very solidly confirmed the planned build date.  I suppose we shall see.

I for one will not be booking any of the first 10 cruises like we did the last time. 

Edited by Jamman54

13 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The Press Release made it sound like Meyer Turku had very solidly confirmed the planned build date.  I suppose we shall see.

Thought the exact same thing.  Of course as the definition for insanity suggests, we will book it the day they announce and prob hava couple cancellations before we get on her.....

13 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

What's up funny is that in three weeks time we were bumped from the Radiance to the Breeze,  and then bumped from the Imagination to the Radiance. Go figure! 😎

So what is your take on the swap?

20 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I guess the loser today is Galveston. I haven’t seen anything on a replacement for Radiance.

Sounds to me like the Vista has re-cemented her stay in Galveston for a good while.

Edited by jimbo5544

Thanks, shof15, for sharing both the article and the official press release.  One note that I found particularly telling from the press release:

Carnival Fascination itineraries from San Juan and Barbados have been cancelled for 2020-2021 as the cruise line focuses its return to operations on mainland drive markets in the U.S.

I know why Carnival is doing it, but abandoning the Eastern Caribbean route makes me very sad.  It was my first (and second) cruise on the Valor and I also did it on the Liberty.

Also from the press release, quoting Carnival President Christine Duffy:

“With our future fleet plan resolved, we are focused on ensuring we are ready to return to operations once it is determined that the time is right to resume cruising in the U.S.,” she said.

Two things I got from this - first, this seems to be the end for the major changes to the fleet and from here it's just a matter of canceling cruises as they come up; and second, there's not even a hint of when cruising will resume in the U.S.  Not good news.

A few more quickie comments:

• I guess Miami will have LNG fueling capability by November 2022; they'll need it for the Mardi Gras sister
  • I have a lot of stuff in my closets and in dark corners that are the equivalent of "long-term layup"
  • I'm adding Mariah Carey's "Fantasy", Chicago's "You're The Inspiration", Hall and Oates' "Your Imagination", and Human League's "Fascination" to my latest COVID-19 song list.
  • Also from Christine Duffy in the press release:  "...we will continue to invest in the four remaining Fantasy class ships that we are keeping in the fleet.  We have many guests who prefer our Fantasy class ships which work so well for shorter itineraries from smaller ports that cannot accommodate our larger ships."  Um, Christine, I think you mean the Ecstasy class, right?
  • Still no news about other cruises for October and beyond.  Our staring contest continues.  Who will blink first?
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

So what is your take on the swap?

For us it's fine since we do get to sail on the Radiance after 3 cancellations,  but sad to miss the Imagination since it was the only Fantasy Class ship that we hadn't sailed on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jamman54 said:

For us it's fine since we do get to sail on the Radiance after 3 cancellations,  but sad to miss the Imagination since it was the only Fantasy Class ship that we hadn't sailed on. 

Does not look like that will happen now...but who the heck knows anything anymore.