Two Carnival Cruise Ships Have Been Sold and Two Others Going to Long Term Lay-Up Status

shof515

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

who would buy that piece of junk?

At least one 1980's cruise ship has been sold as temporary worker housing . I couldn't find the name, but it was sold go a Turkish company. Not worth anything but scrap price in the cruise industry, but as portable quarters in port areas, interesting idea.

Edited by mtnesterz

15 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

At least one 1980's cruise ship has been sold as temporary worker housing . I couldn't find the name, but it was sold go a Turkish company. Not worth anything but scrap price in the cruise industry, but as portable quarters in port areas, interesting idea.

I think you may be referring to the Black Watch and Boudicca of Fred Olsen Cruises.  FOC announced yesterday that both ships had been sold to a Turkish entity for use as accommodation vessels.  In their announcement, FOC said:

'Following the recent announcement that Black Watch and Boudicca are retired from our fleet, we can announce that both ships have now been sold and will begin a new life as accommodation vessels for a company in Turkey.

We expect that the ships will set sail soon, with Boudicca due to leave Rosyth for the final time as early as next week, and Black Watch to follow. The crew are hard at work preparing them for their journeys and ensuring that that they are ready for their new home.

Both Black Watch and Boudicca have served us extremely well during their time with us, and we know that their new owners will be as proud of them as we have been. We are delighted that they will stay together, and will continue to be used and loved in the future.

We're sure you will join us in wishing them a very fond farewell, and happy travels ahead!'

Both ships were originally built for the Royal Viking Line back in the 1970's as the Royal Viking Star (1971) and Royal Viking Sky (1973).

Garnett

• Like 1

13 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Curious as well-

who would buy that piece of junk?

Im pretty sure she's in comparable condition to the other 4 fantasty class ships(outside appearance means nothing paint will fix)...as she had pretty much the same upgrades as the other exisitng ones. Not sure if their were other reasons Carnival choose the other 4 vs her. Its too bad she wouldnt fit into Palm Beach she would be a good addition to Bahamas Paradise to replace the Grand Celebration.

Edited by roeco9084

3 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

Im pretty sure she's in comparable condition to the other 4 fantasty class ships(outside appearance means nothing paint will fix)...as she had pretty much the same upgrades as the other exisitng ones. Not sure if their were other reasons Carnival choose the other 4 vs her. Its too bad she wouldnt fit into Palm Beach she would be a good addition to Bahamas Paradise to replace the Grand Celebration.

It's a rust bucket that should be scrapped along with the other Fantasy class ships still in existence.

Edited by xDisconnections

4 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

The primary reason Fascination got the boot was that she needed a routine drydock this year. Presuming Carnival got more than the roughly $7 Million scrap value her sisters got, that's likely a $20-$25 Million net pickup from avoiding the dry dock and selling the ship. The new owner can then make the necessary hotel refurbishments when the engine, hull, and propellor are serviced.

13 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Don’t know if this already posted elsewhere... some nice aerial drone footage of the five ships in Aliaga...

https://7news.com.au/travel/inside-the-cruise-ship-graveyard-where-luxury-liners-are-broken-up-for-scrap-c-1348372.amp

I know it is inevitable for every ship, and all of those ships were doomed to visit soon enough, but it is still sad to see it all stripped away, literally layer by layer.

And I really wish there was a website selling all the trinkets from the ship!  Well, I don't need my own onboard loo!

But the paraphernalia from the bars and other small "nautical-themed" things could be interesting.

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

Someone with time and money will go and fill a few containers I am sure.

In years gone past, Peter Knego used to go to Alang and literally procure container loads of "trinkets" and send them back to the US for resale.  Here's his website https://www.midshipcentury.com/shop

Having said that, he usually was focused on the former liners of a different era and I don't envision him showing much interest in either Carnival's or RCCL's former ships that are currently beached. 

Garnett

On 9/26/2020 at 3:37 PM, tidecat said:

The primary reason Fascination got the boot was that she needed a routine drydock this year. Presuming Carnival got more than the roughly $7 Million scrap value her sisters got, that's likely a $20-$25 Million net pickup from avoiding the dry dock and selling the ship. The new owner can then make the necessary hotel refurbishments when the engine, hull, and propellor are serviced.

Does it really cost that much to go into drydock? I would assume not every drydock is the same $$!

4 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

Does it really cost that much to go into drydock? I would assume not every drydock is the same $$!

All of the recent drydockd are touted by Carnival as "multimillion dollar" even if there aren't significant hotel refurbishments. I'm assuming thr drydock would run about $10 Million to do the hull, propellor, and engine work, and even just minimal hotel maintenace (like replace carpet, tile, etc.).

Based on the Holland America sale to Fred Olsen, each of the ships were about $14 Million.  The ships sold for scrap were about $7 Million, so around $10 Million would be a safe estimate.

$10 Million of expense avoided and $10 Million of sale proceeds would be $20 Million.  Even just to keep the ship running for another 2 months to get to the drydock would be around another $2 Million - and that's assuming it can happen in November.

8 hours ago, tidecat said:

All of the recent drydockd are touted by Carnival as "multimillion dollar" even if there aren't significant hotel refurbishments. I'm assuming thr drydock would run about $10 Million to do the hull, propellor, and engine work, and even just minimal hotel maintenace (like replace carpet, tile, etc.).

Based on the Holland America sale to Fred Olsen, each of the ships were about $14 Million.  The ships sold for scrap were about $7 Million, so around $10 Million would be a safe estimate.

$10 Million of expense avoided and $10 Million of sale proceeds would be $20 Million.  Even just to keep the ship running for another 2 months to get to the drydock would be around another $2 Million - and that's assuming it can happen in November.

You are missing the point.  When would those particular ships resume cruising?

From earlier posts: Marinetraffic still shows the Fascination at anchor in Cadiz today.

23 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And I really wish there was a website selling all the trinkets from the ship!...But the paraphernalia from the bars and other small "nautical-themed" things could be interesting.

Small items would be interesting, but I wonder what a tender/lifeboat would sell for. They're fiberglass so no scrap value. Party boat.

Edited by mtnesterz

23 hours ago, tidecat said:

Would be interesting to know how much Fred Olsen sold the Black Watch and Bouddica for I would assume above their scrap values..but who knows.  

On 9/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, roeco9084 said:

One thing that puzzles me since the Marella Celebration and Horizon are sold for scrap and waiting it out in cold lay up at Eleusis til theirs room, why would The Fascination sit at Cadiz for 2 months instead of going to Eleusis too? Im sure Cadiz wasnt cheap to dock at. Im assuming its quite inexpensive to lay a ship up at anchor at Eleusis.