Ships you have sailed on that are no longer in their cruise line's fleet

For us it is the following list:

The NCL Crown--we sailed NY to Bermuda. NCL had gone to freestyle and this ship was not set up for that and was soon no longer with NCL.

The Ocean Princess--we sailed a British Isles cruise. It was a wonderful cruise on a truly magnificent small ship.

The HAL Maasdam--our only cruise that was not a round trip as we sailed from Boston to Montreal.

I'm not sure if I should count the Carnival Fascination--rumor has it that it will be gone, but at present is in a long term layup. Another small ship we enjoyed as we sailed for San Juan to Barbados and a whole bunch of islands starting with St.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

...The Ocean Princess--we sailed a British Isles cruise. It was a wonderful cruise on a truly magnificent small ship....

You should see her now. About five years ago, she received a $40 million Oceania makeover and became Sirena. And, just last year, she received additional upgrades as part of the Oceania NEXT project which has enhanced each of Oceania's four "R" ships.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:00 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

You should see her now. About five years ago, she received a $40 million Oceania makeover and became Sirena. And, just last year, she received additional upgrades as part of the Oceania NEXT project which has enhanced each of Oceania's four "R" ships.

Princess have used Ocean Princess for 2 of the older ships. The original ship was the last of the 4 "Sun" class, which later transferred to P&O, sailing as Oceana until recently. The 2nd was one of the "R-class:, which was originally Tahitian Princess before being renamed Ocean Princess and then sold to Oceania as Sirena.

Although the OP mentioned small ship, although we don't consider the Sun Class as being small, many others do consider them as small ships.

Great older ships that are sadly no longer sailing the high seas:

• SS Uganda - built in 1952 as a pax/cargo ship, she was converted to a school ship in the late 60's. Served in Falklands War as a hospital ship. Unfortunately she never returned to service. Sold in 1986 and taken to Taiwan for breaking. Anchored off Kaohshiung and foundered in a TRS. Ship disintegrated due to weather over the years.
  • SS Oriana - built 1959 and removed from service in 1986, sold and used for various hotel type uses. Damaged by a storm in China in 2004 and scrapped in 2005 at Wayou scrap yards.
  • SS Canberra - built 1961 and served in the Falklands War landing troops right inside the bay. Sold for scrap in 1997 to a breaking yard in Pakistan.
  • MV Sun Princess (Spirit of London) - originally ordered by NCL as a sister to Seaward, she was purchased by P&O, as the yard experienced financial difficulties. Launched as Spirit of London, she was renamed Sun Princess and assigned to Princess, when purchased by P&O. Multiple owners after P&O, with her finally sinking off Laem Chabang in 2016.
  • MV Island Princess - one of the original Princess "Love Boats", sold by Princess in late 90's, she had a troubled existance before being scrapped in Turkey 2013/14.

3 hours ago, George C said:

While in Barcelona 4 years ago we saw the former rccl ship Sovereign of the seas , it was the largest cruise ship when we sailed it in the late 80’s looks so small now, times have changed.

And now is at the breakers in Turkey.  

Interesting to think about, but kind of sad, too; I hadn't realized that the Marella Spirit (Nieuw Amsterdam III) had been scrapped.  With the current situation, can't help but think that others will follow.

Ones that I can think of, with first year I sailed on them:

1984: Song of America -> Celestyal Olympia
1985: Noordam -> Marella Celibration (?)
1991: Royal Princess -> Artania
1992: Royal Majesty -> Crown Iris
1996: Norwegian Crown -> Balmoral
1999: Norwegian Sea -> SuperStar Libra
1999: R Three -> Pacific Princess
2000: Crown Princess -> Karnika
2001: Legend of the Seas -> Marella Discovery 2
2002: Zenith -> Peace Boat (?)
2007: Pride of Aloha -> Norwegian Sky
2007: Tahitian Princess -> Sirena
2015: Rotterdam -> ?
2020: Veendam -> ?

2 hours ago, snaebyllej said:

985: Noordam -> Marella Celibration (?

Marella Celebration has been withdrawn from service just recently.  I have not read what her disposition will be.  

I sailed on her when she was the Noordam in 1990 and enjoyed my Alaska cruise aboard her.  First ship on which I had sailed that had a balcony in the Showroom.  Found out quickly that if one did not have seats along the rail, the view of whatever was taking place on the deck below was limited to non-existent.  

Edited by rkacruiser

• 2 weeks later...

All of the Italian line ships built after 1950, all of the Home Lines ships other than the "Italia" and "Doric".  France, Norway, Royal Princess, Queen Anna Maria, QE2, Original Carnivale, Marti Gras, Festivale,  United States, Fair Sky, Britannis, Stella Solaris, Regent Sea,  Fair Sea, Royal Viking Sky, Royal Odyssey,  and probably a few more.  

Edited by marco
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, marco said:

all of the Home Lines ships other than the "Italia

I learned something from your post this afternoon.  The Italia that I remember was a Princess vessel that eventually went to Costa and then other cruise companies.  I recall visiting her in Port Everglades many years ago when she was, I think, sailing under the Costa flag.

Wikipedia shows that there was a Home Lines vessel called Italia.  Did not know that and haven't found any history about her so far. 

4 hours ago, marco said:

Actually, the "Italia"I was referring to was the  Swedish America Line's 1928 built "Kungsholm" that went to Home Lines and was their "Italia" from 1948 to 1964.

Thank you for the explanation.  If my memory is correct, all of the Home Lines vessels prior to the new build S. S. Oceanic were vessels in at least their 2nd ownership.  (And, I don't mean that as a negative comment.  I visited S. S. Homeric and she was a very nice ship regardless of how much water had flowed beneath her keel.)  

6 hours ago, marco said:

And I believe that Homeric was Matson Line's "Mariposa"  which was very similar, if not a twin to the "Lurline" which became Chandris Line's "Brittanis".  I think, anyway.

Using my friend Wikepedia, Britanis had been the Lurline, before that the Matsonia, and originally the Monterey. 

Homeric began her life as the Mariposa.  

I have friends who sailed on Chandris Line's Britanis on a round South America cruise and it remains in their memory as one of their real favorites.  They loved the ship!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, ontheweb said:

For us it is the following list:

The NCL Crown--we sailed NY to Bermuda. NCL had gone to freestyle and this ship was not set up for that and was soon no longer with NCL.

The Ocean Princess--we sailed a British Isles cruise. It was a wonderful cruise on a truly magnificent small ship.

The HAL Maasdam--our only cruise that was not a round trip as we sailed from Boston to Montreal.

I'm not sure if I should count the Carnival Fascination--rumor has it that it will be gone, but at present is in a long term layup. Another small ship we enjoyed as we sailed for San Juan to Barbados and a whole bunch of islands starting with St.

Cunard Ambassador the ship we cruised on in 1973.Seven days from NYC to Bermuda.

Add to my list the "Veendam".  The one that  ran in tandem with the "Volendam", which were originally the Moore-McCormack line's "Argentina" and "' Brazil".  One weeker's out of NYC to Bermuda in season. I wonder if either is still sailing?

• 3 years later...

Cunarders that were operating in 1966.  The Sylvania, one of the smaller ships of the line, and the original Queen Mary. The first has been scrapped and although the Queen still exists in California much of the original design has been demolished.  I had a hard time finding deck C and the  dining room that went along with a cabin on that level on a visit to the QM. Then someone explained to me that much of tourist class had been turned into storage areas.  The areas you see on the QM in Long Beach were once first class.