September Tahiti Sailings

jumelle

I applaud WS, keep people safe for a bit longer. Makes perfect sense to me when you think about this horrid  various and what is happening in the US and the world. I know people must be very disappointed. I have had one cancelation and a big one. WS has always been safety first in my opinion (26 ) cruises with them. Happy Sailing when this is all over. 

• Like 1

Without getting feedback from pax on the September sailings, and my final payment being due Oct. 6, unless Windstar will allow me to push back the final payment date I am going to cancel my January cruise. I am not willing to keep thousands of dollars in a Windstar account if I do end up cancelling or Windstar does as I have no idea when or if I might take another Windstar cruise. I only have the $100 deposit tied up with them now and if I lose that it is no big deal.

I will have my agent ask Windstar for a later final payment date and see what they say.

Edited by susiesan

My agent called Windstar and as of now they are not allowing final payment to be made later. I will monitor the situation and see what happens in 3 months. Windstar could change their policy if lots of people are cancelling cruises right before final payment is due. I feel bad for the September cruisers who had their cruise yanked from them. 

The next thing that could happen is Americans could be banned from French Polynesia. Just today Costa Rica announced no people from the US can visit, only Europeans, and Canadians. If Americans are banned from FP Windstar will be sailing empty ships and they would likely just cancel their Tahiti cruises.

Susie,
Why not wait and see how it's going for PG passengers in September. You've nothing to lose.

We were on the September 10 and it got Cancelled by WS.
We are now booked for the 7 day Jan 21 2021
Hoping for the best

Sent from my iPad using Forums

22 minutes ago, bigedwin said:

We were on the September 10 and it got Cancelled by WS.
We are now booked for the 7 day Jan 21 2021
Hoping for the best

I thought of you when I heard about Sept. Feel really badly for you. Hope that you are OK with postponing until January. At the minimum you'll be heading out when the weather is sucky in MO. Fingers crossed for you! 😍

@Heartfelttraveler We were on a sold out on a WS ship in Tahiti and it was fine, with the big decks one does  not even notice. No waiting, no crowding, plus your eyes are always looking at the total beauty surrounding the ship. I am sure a bit different with the virus and all, but WS has always been so safety conscious you should be fine. Have a great time. Happy Sailing

@Heartfelttraveler   I thought of you first thing when it was announced September was out the window. I read someplace yesterday that Windstar canceled September out of respect for the CDC who weren't allowing cruises out of US till after 9/30. Even though they aren't affected by it. Wind Star really does do things by the book and extremely safety conscious as Strenz says.

We were also on s sold out 17 day cruise last November and again it was fine. No crowding to speak of, meals timely, plenty of deck chairs, no waiting for tenders. You wouldn't know it was sold out.

How are you handling the 3 day Covid testing? As Barrycat has said ATN will have to offer the test somewhere close or inside the airport like United in SFO is planning or they couldn't fill their flights.

Edited by Petoonya

My concern about it being sold out is - the September dates showed sold out and then were cancelled.  Hoping this is not our path.  Although I am thinking that maybe ours sold out when some of the September people rebooked in October.

As for the COVID-19 test - in the Atlanta area we can get a rapid results test but have to pay for it.  I will make an appointment the beginning of August for three days before  the LAX to PPT flight.

2 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

As for the COVID-19 test - in the Atlanta area we can get a rapid results test but have to pay for it.  I will make an appointment the beginning of August for three days before  the LAX to PPT flight.

@Heartfelttraveler

I'm confused as heck about the testing. It says clearly on the ATN website it has to be the molecular test (not the rapid RT PCR, antigen or antibody.) According to the FDA website molecular tests, which ATN refers to, can take 24 hours OR be a rapid test. (????)

I trust that ATN will make things clearer soon. United from SF is going to offer the test we need in airport.

Here's how the FDA defines and compares the various testing:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-testing-basics

Here's what ATN says about required testing.

Proof of a negative Covid-19 test (RT-PCR) molecular test (note rapid RT PCR, antigen and antibody tests not accepted)

Rapid tests aren’t accepted? Oooof...

We would also be taking united and connecting in SFO. I do wonder if we’d have to show proof boarding the flight in SD to SFO or if we could opt to take the test in SFO offered by United during our connection? I know there isn’t an answer but just some thoughts in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that this is all very confusing but there is no doubt that ATN does not allow rapid testing for boarding. As I read the FDA website it lists a number of molecular tests and states that results can be available in 24 hours or a week. I don’t think it refers specifically to a rapid RT-PCR test

ATN does refer to a lab in the LA area that will do the testing, hopefully on an expedited basis, but does not give any indication that something is scheduled to be done at LAX. This same issue applies to Air France out of LAX so hopefully this will add some heft to arriving at a resolution.

A caution for munidonuts, if you are on one ticket rather than two, and you are flying from So Cal to SFO and on to Tahiti, you may be required to have the necessary test before you board your first flight. This depends on how aware the check in desk is but it’s similar to needing necessary visas on a domestic flight connecting to an overseas leg.

here is a screenshot of the FDA page

Also known as...

Diagnostic test, viral test, molecular test, nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), RT-PCR test, LAMP test

Rapid diagnostic test

(Some molecular tests are also rapid tests.)

Serological test, serology, blood test, serology test

How the sample is taken...

Nasal or throat swab (most tests)

Saliva (a few tests)

Nasal or throat swab

Finger stick or blood draw

How long it takes to get results...

Same day (some locations)

or up to a week

One hour or less

Same day (many locations)

or 1-3 days

Is another test needed...

This test is typically highly accurate and usually does not need to be repeated.

Barrycat and Minidonuts.....

the confusing part to me is that ATN (and I'm sure United too) asks for molecular tests and as the FDA chart attests "some

molecular tests are also rapid tests". Since I was told by United the results are available in 2 hours or less I'd guess it's the rapid molecular test that they are doing. But we will find out as time marches on. As you've already said Barrycat, neither airline is going to make it difficult or passengers would not be able to board. But I can see why there would be a mess as of late at ATN check-in with many thinking because they have the rapid antigen test that they are good to go.

Testing will surely have evolved by the time we travel as will the airline's communiques.

Minidonuts are you on one or two tickets......actually you probably haven't purchased your tickets yet have you? 🙄

Edited by Petoonya

I had an unexpected health issue in April.  In order to be admitted into the hospital and start treatment I had to get a negative COVID-19 test result.  It took two hours.  The lab is on site in the hospital.  If I pay for it I can get written results in 24-36 hours.  Hopefully will be the same it October.

No one knows yet how United is going to handle the testing.It is not for sure that they will offer it at the gate in SFO. Until the flights start going in August we will have to wait to find out how UA will deal with the testing requirement. They have not put anything I nwriting about the pre flight covid test and until I see it in writing on their web site I won't believe it. UA agents on the phone lie all the time and don't know what is going on. if you HUCA you will get a whole new story.

@Petoonya and Barry

Yea my plan was to do one ticket on UA as I didn’t want to have to grab bags in SFO and recheck if I had tickets for each leg. I haven’t bought tickets yet as my flight dates aren’t yet open.

Barry that makes sense in the same way they’d check my passport at my originating airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

No one knows yet how United is going to handle the testing.It is not for sure that they will offer it at the gate in SFO. Until the flights start going in August we will have to wait to find out how UA will deal with the testing requirement. They have not put anything I nwriting about the pre flight covid test and until I see it in writing on their web site I won't believe it. UA agents on the phone lie all the time and don't know what is going on. if you HUCA you will get a whole new story.

I wrote yesterday that I called UA to see what the plan was for Covid testing 72 hours prior to boarding flights in SFO for PPT.

Was told that testing would be available at the airport. Called UA again today to see what another agent might tell me.

And sure enough the first agent had no clue. Said that "no one except French Polynesians are allowed into FP." !! She was silent when I told her that her own airline was beginning service to PPT August 4, and that ATN service began over a week ago. So tried a different agent who had an immediate answer. Advised me to check in 4-5 hours prior to flight departure, and after checking bags, agents would direct me to area where testing would be available. Same as what I'd been told yesterday.

I agree with Susie. I won't believe anything until it's official and printed, and been in effect successfully for at least a week or so. But it's pretty encouraging. ATN's opening of flights to PPT has been a fiasco for passengers, some turned away at the gate even having the proper testing paperwork. The pieces will all fall into place but I'd not like to be in the first round of people flying to PPT from either gateway.

Edited by Petoonya

Not to belabor this subject but I will anyway.

Here is the description of the necessary test for entry from the “official” Tahiti tourism web site

Prior to departure

• COVID-19 Test 

A SARS-CoV-2 virus genome test (the SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test) has to be carried out by all travelers in a health authority center (hospital, clinic, medical centre, Covid-19 testing Center, or medical analysis laboratory) within three days before the flight to Tahiti (at the passenger’s expense).

Note that there is no mention of RAPID  RT-PCR Tests not being acceptable. RAPID  tests however are specifically not accepted for boarding by Air Tahiti Nui. ATN has been very specific and has published their boarding requirements. As far as I know UA and AF have not done so and so far their communication has been confused and contrary opinion.

Granted this is all very new to everyone involved and as time goes on the details will be settled, but at this point what is clear is that the specific molecular test noted is required to be conducted no earlier that 72 hours prior to departure and proof is to be supplied at check in. Rapid or Non rapid is upon the air at this point.