Solo Cruiser - Friends Joining for a portion of a World Cruise?

Smokeyham

Question..... I am planning to do a world cruise solo.  However, I would like to have the opportunity to have different friends join me (sharing my cabin) for portions of the adventure.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  I called Oceania today, and the call taker talked with her supervisor who said this is not possible on their line.   

Has anyone heard/experienced any line where this is possible?  I can understand that there may not be complete flexibility for someone to join/leave at ports of their complete choosing, but given that they also sell Round The World Cruises in segments, you would think there would be some way this could be accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. 

I was on the Regent 2020 world cruise and had a friend join me for the Australia to Singapore segment. This ended up being revised to an Australia only leg due to COVID-19. The only additional charge was her flight from/to the ports and transportation to/from the ship. There were a few other world cruisers that had people joining them on different segments with airfare and transportation to/from the ship being the only additional charge. A great way to share your experience!

Maxmann65,

Thanks for that.  I figure there must be some way to do this on most lines.   From the lines' perspective, having someone else on board means additional revenue.  

Do you know if the Australia to Singapore segment was an "official" segment (i.e. other passengers could board/depart for that segment or was this just an arrangement that you made with the cruise line for ports that were convenient to your friend?

Thanks.

It was a segment that was rerouted and then cut short. Others on the cruise had people join them but it was always at the beginning of a segment and they departed at the end of a segment. Although I was a solo traveler, I did not receive a solo discount so I was paying for two people anyway. That may make a difference in what you have been told and my experience.

The world cruise, while it lasted was wonderful and I hope to do another one day.

Good luck!

11 minutes ago, Maxmann65 said:

Although I was a solo traveler, I did not receive a solo discount so I was paying for two people anyway. That may make a difference in what you have been told and my experience.

I think this is a good answer to the OP's question.  I'd suggest that the OP not try to arrange such directly with the cruise line.  Engage an experienced travel agent who has sold world cruises and allow them to assist you.  It's not going to cost you any more money to use the services of a travel agent and there may be some perks by doing so that you will receive.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I think this is a good answer to the OP's question.  I'd suggest that the OP not try to arrange such directly with the cruise line.  Engage an experienced travel agent who has sold world cruises and allow them to assist you.  It's not going to cost you any more money to use the services of a travel agent and there may be some perks by doing so that you will receive.  

Thanks,  I think you are right.  I suspect that an experienced Travel Agent will likely have more connections with the cruise line and will know who to call to be able to have friends join me.

I suspect that if this is possible then friends will only be able to join/leave in ports designated as segments for the Round The World cruise, which is understandable since the line will have to arrange for immigration and customs processing for passengers.

42 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I suspect that if this is possible then friends will only be able to join/leave in ports designated as segments for the Round The World cruise, which is understandable since the line will have to arrange for immigration and customs processing for passengers.

Your thinking is probably correct.  Advertised segments would be easier for a cruise line and an travel agent to arrange.  But....

Can't explain how its been done; don't know; but, I know from friends who have more world cruise experience than I have.  Guests have been embarked and disembarked in ports that were not "officially" designated as world cruise segment ports at times.    It may simply be due that the ship has "space available" and it is a revenue enhancer.  

As I said before, the complexities of planning a world cruise become less stressful if one has an experienced travel agent on which to rely.  

Part of my enjoyment of my Grand World Voyage was the planning and experiencing the results of those many months of expectations and planning.  

Edited by rkacruiser

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Just completed the Viking WC and we did have a son who joined his dad from Tahiti to Auckland. Suggest contacting them at tellus@vikingcruises.com, or per rka via a travel agent.

Great to hear that the son was able to join his dad for a segment of the world cruise.  Exactly what I am trying to set up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you find an Oceania preferred agent  (forgot their group title, they are the top selling    indep. agents)    .As I posted, O states they will only sail 2021 1/2-2/3 full. I no longer believe everything O tells us.But they have a great product and 2021 WC is their best itin yet to my taste.  2015 had 40 solo ladies and as I recall 8 men.

PS. There is a certain amount of time/effort involved on agents part for a WC.   O probably does not want to bother  with multiple cabinmates .The excursions list is 395 pages long. My BF and I spent whole weekend in selection process. If you are serious make sure you can get a cabin as first step since so few will be available.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, Smokeyham said:

Question..... I am planning to do a world cruise solo.  However, I would like to have the opportunity to have different friends join me (sharing my cabin) for portions of the adventure.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  I called Oceania today, and the call taker talked with her supervisor who said this is not possible on their line.   

Has anyone heard/experienced any line where this is possible?  I can understand that there may not be complete flexibility for someone to join/leave at ports of their complete choosing, but given that they also sell Round The World Cruises in segments, you would think there would be some way this could be accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. 

We've been on 2 ATW cruises on Oceania, and I know of multiple passengers who did this on both cruises.  It takes some coordination, and a good TA can help you.  If you have no TA, there is a person at Oceania that might be able to help you -- ask for their email.  AFAIK, the friend joined a segment or 2, not some random date of their choosing. 

9 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

We've been on 2 ATW cruises on Oceania, and I know of multiple passengers who did this on both cruises.  It takes some coordination, and a good TA can help you.  If you have no TA, there is a person at Oceania that might be able to help you -- ask for their email.  AFAIK, the friend joined a segment or 2, not some random date of their choosing. 

Thanks!

I was thinking that some arrangement had to be possible, and yes.... was thinking that it would not be at ports of my choosing but would be for segments that have already been designated by the cruise line since they will have arranged for customs and immigration authorities to be present for passengers who are arriving and departing.   

I will be looking for a competent travel agent who is familiar with these type of arrangements.

Thanks again.