Can anyone explain best Seattle areas to stay?

mscloyd

We will be cruising from Seattle in 2021 and will be staying for 2 nights pre-cruise. We are 2 60-year olds, with 2 30-somethings, and a teenager so will need 2 rooms or a 2-bedroom suite.  We will fly in late Friday night and will have Saturday before our cruise to see a little of Seattle (Pike's Place, Waterfront, Space Needle, have a nice dinner somewhere, etc.).  We have points we plan to use for Mariott or Hilton brands. I have narrowed it down to Hampton Inn Downtown (which is a few blocks north of Space Needle), Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union, or these two near each other: Homewood Suites Convention Center/Pike Street, and Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center. I have read tons of reviews and can't find anything that makes one area stand out or be elimitated. Does someone with better knowledge of Seattle have any suggestions?  I know it seems early but if we don't book early they may not have rewards rooms available. (My favorite choice would actually be the Mariott Waterfront but we like the convenience and cost savings of the free breakfast).  With everything that is happening in Seattle this summer should any of these areas be avoided? I truly hope that things get better for everyone. Thank you for any advice you can give.

We (Mom, Dad and 2 adult children) decided on a VRBO, for the same price or cheaper. However, you have points (totally understand).  We will be staying at Alki Beach and it is only a 15 min water taxi ride that will drop us off right downtown.  We chose a VRBO for several reasons. It was actually cheaper, not only in daily rate (yes including all the fees) also we can make some of our meals, away from downtown (noise, etc) and we have a view of the beach. The bonus, everyone gets their own bed.   We do not want to rent a car, and we are still close to all transportation.  Arriving 5 days before cruise.  Went through Booking.com. If it wasn't this property, we were going to do Lower Queen Anne. 

46 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

We will be staying at Alki Beach and it is only a 15 min water taxi ride that will drop us off right downtown.

Alki would be a neat place for a couple days. Make sure to stay on top of the water taxi schedule. It does not operate mid-day, on weekends or holidays.  The primary access to West Seattle/Alki has closed due to bridge maintenance so if you need other transportation than the water taxi, it will take you a bit longer than normal to get to/from downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's one vote for Residence Inn Downtown Convention Center! Yes, I totally understand the "free" breakfast may change.  The whole trip could change depending on circumstances.  Which is another reason I want to book with points - no penalty if we change plans!  I already changed from a March caribbean cruise to this August Alaskan cruise.  I wanted more data before having to make that final payment than I would have had with the March cruise having to pay final balance in November (and cruising not even starting again until nearly October, if then). I would love to stay in a private home, but with only 1 day it wouldn't make sense. And a safe area in Seattle for a family to walk around is also a concern of mine. Hoping that by next year things will be better (for everyone)

Maybe I am being too persnickety, but 4 of the 8 replies have nothing to do with helping the OP choose between the Hampton Inn Downtown, Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union, Homewood Suites Convention Center/Pike Street, and Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center.

The comment on the free breakfasts at the RI and Homewood Suites is a good one, because if they don't have their normal ones, then the Marriott Waterfront Seattle would be the best choice.

The Residence Inn Downtown on Terry probably has the best location for exploring of the places you mentioned. It’s a short walk to Westlake where the monorail is located that goes to the Seattle Center/Space Needle. I’m not sure I’d choose a hotel just based on the breakfast but the South Lake Union Residence Inn had the best free hotel breakfast we’ve ever had.

If your cruise departs from the Bell Street Pier 66 cruise terminal than the Marriott Waterfront is a dandy location for one night. The other cruise terminal is about 3 miles away. The problem with that Marriott is that it’s a bit inconvenient to get up into the downtown core and Pike Place Market although not that far really. There are several access points, a couple of elevators and stairs along the waterfront, that can take you up into the downtown core/Pike Place Market area although the elevator next to the Marriott will not be operating for a couple years due to the construction directly behind the hotel which will continue through 2021. You have to wonder about the construction noise.

19 hours ago, Glaciers said:

@Diggerof4

With the bridge being out they've been talking about increasing the water taxi frequency. You may have lots of options of getting back and forth from Alki.

Thank you. Yes, I heard there was going to be construction. I assume it will be for a while.  You are so correct, I did read an article that did indicate they were thinking of increasing water taxi's and buses.  

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Maybe I am being too persnickety, but 4 of the 8 replies have nothing to do with helping the OP choose between the Hampton Inn Downtown, Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union, Homewood Suites Convention Center/Pike Street, and Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center.

The comment on the free breakfasts at the RI and Homewood Suites is a good one, because if they don't have their normal ones, then the Marriott Waterfront Seattle would be the best choice.

True, my comment was not indirectly to the question, it was just another suggestion in case the OP would like to go another direction.  When I have read other posts, I have gathered so much info on suggestions.  Apologies to the OP, but in a round about way it did up the conversation of construction. (LOL).  Also, OP asked if it was safe, and that was also one of the reason for not staying downtown, in which I went another direction. 

Edited by Diggerof4

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It actually was not the OP who asked about safety.

Mr. persnickety, Aren’t you commenting here with “…nothing to do with helping the OP choose between the Hampton Inn Downtown, Residence Inn Downtown/Lake Union, Homewood Suites Convention Center/Pike Street, and Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center.”

For those commenting on the "free" breakfast, it isn't free, it is included in the room rate.
Husky, I get your point but when you are using points for your room and it includes breakfast then it is truly free for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, 1025cruise said:

Just keep in mind "free breakfast" is subject to change due to current conditions.

Agreed, especially if it was a buffet breakfast, which is what most lodgings offer. If the hotel has a dine-in restaurant then the "free breakfast" might be better able to be accommodated. 

• 2 weeks later...

I won't recommend where to stay but I will recommend where not to stay.  I would not stay at any hotel near the airport. They are all, without exception, substandard. Find a decent place somewhere between the airport and cruise port and leave anything on International's Blvd alone.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, Tree_skier said:

I won't recommend where to stay but I will recommend where not to stay.  I would not stay at any hotel near the airport. They are all, without exception, substandard....

Cedarbrook Lodge is the exception. It is phenomenal. Not sure OP wants to be by the airport, but I felt the need to mention this after your comment.

https://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:09 PM, Tree_skier said:

I won't recommend where to stay but I will recommend where not to stay.  I would not stay at any hotel near the airport. They are all, without exception, substandard. Find a decent place somewhere between the airport and cruise port and leave anything on International's Blvd alone.

I've stayed at 4 different hotels at or near SeaTac and did not find any of them to be substandard.

• Like 2

I live near Seattle and would disagree with you that all of the airport hotels are substandard.  There are some very nice hotels near the airport.

• Like 1

I won't recommend where to stay but I will recommend where not to stay.  I would not stay at any hotel near the airport. They are all, without exception, substandard....

4 hours ago, Roz said:

I've stayed at 4 different hotels at or near SeaTac and did not find any of them to be substandard.

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I live near Seattle and would disagree with you that all of the airport hotels are substandard.  There are some very nice hotels near the airport.

Agreed, and I should have said this when I replied yesterday. Tree-skier, with due respect, you make it sound like there is not a Seattle airport hotel worth your time and money. I, and others, would disagree. We have stayed several times at hotels that service SEA and they were wonderful. It's disparaging to paint all the hotels with the same brush when there are many options that would do nicely.

(Having said that, again, OP is not staying at the airport so the point is moot to him/her.)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, JB Books said:

How safe is Seattle? Just asking...

Not  safe at all, the King county Prosecutor says he will only prosecute violet crimes- murder, attempted murder and assaults.  All of the 100's of arrests in the Seattle riots, including arson, injuring Policemen, blinding police by lasers, damaging and burning down structures were not prosecuted because the  city attorney said that the protesters have a constitutional right to protest.  Stay in neighboring cities or at the airport hotels. 

Below is a walking tour of  how Seattle downtown looked last week..  Cliff Mass, a University of Washington Professor  blogs are mainly about weather with over 100,000 followers.  He had a  show on NPR but his show was cancelled because of the below log.  

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/08/seattle-city-in-fear-can-be-restored.html

• Like 1