TRANSFER FROM LE HAVRE TO PARIS

TXranchgal

We are scheduled on the Reflection next April for a T/A to Amsterdam.  One of the stops is in LeHavre.  We want to go to Paris.  We have heard that there is a commuter train or something like it that takes you directly into Paris.  Does anyone have info about how to get to Paris from Le Havre?  I know that the ship will offer some sort of transfer - but - is there another option?  If so - Any Idea about how much it costs?

Most ships sail out of Le Havre mid-to-late evening, which mitigates the long journey time to Paris.

But by scheduled bus still takes too much time out of your day, and there's the risk of delays in the Paris suburbs and on the peripherique (Paris ring-road).

By private transfer carries the same risks of travel delays, and self-drive adds big Paris navigation and parking issues.

I wouldn't recommend any of the above.

If you want to get to Paris by train........

The direct train service from Le Havre to Paris (St Lazare station) is broadly hourly. There are more trains, but with a change of train at Rouen - connection times vary, but of course add to the journey time and create a complication, so stick to the direct service, for which the journey time is around 2 hrs 15 minutes. Fares vary according to time of day - for a cruiser's timetable the cost out-and-back is around €40.

You need to add about 35 minutes walk or taxi fare between ship & Le Havre station.

St Lazare station is tolerably in the centre of Paris (eg 20 min walk to the Louvre).

But you'd be very wise not to rely on the last suitable train back to Le Havre, so plan to use the second-to-last & leave the last train as a safety net. That takes about an hour out of your time in Paris.

By train also means having to use local transport (usually the metro) in Paris because the sights are well-spread. That also will cost you precious time. 

So, although ships' Paris tours (or their "Paris on your own" transfers) are grossly over-priced and you're herded like cattle, it's one time I'd bite the bullet and consider booking thro the ship.

If you DIY and miss the sailing out of Le Havre, the English Channel is a little too cold for swimming to your next port :classic_wink:

Paris is worth far more than one trunkated day, so a couple of other thoughts.......

1. If you're likely to have the opportunity to visit Paris at some other time in the future, consider putting Paris on the back-burner and instead visit the D-Day beaches and sights (nearest British sights 1hr20 mins, nearest US sights 2hrs, all by road tour or self-drive) , or have a lazy day in the little fishing/tourist port of Honfleur (about 30 minutes from your ship), or rent a car and explore the Normandy countryside & coast.

2. If your next port-of-call is convenient from Paris and not on your bucket-list, consider jumping-ship at Le Havre and catching up at that next port, giving you a longer day plus evening plus morning in Paris. Provided that you seek an OK from them in advance, most cruise lines permit this (NCL apparently don't). You also need to consider the reliability of the next port.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 2

We would agree with JB that Paris is worthy of much more then a few hours.  We have spent many weeks in Paris and would have flown over there late next month (for a few weeks) had the French not banned Americans.  

If we were advising a friend on that Reflection cruise (assuming it actually happens) we would suggest spending the Le Havre day exploring parts of Normandy.  Once the cruise ends in Amsterdam, after a few land days in Amsterdam we would suggest hopping on the train to Paris (plenty of daily trains) and then spending several days (or weeks) in Paris before flying home of exploring more of Europe.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, Hlitner said:

We would agree with JB that Paris is worthy of much more then a few hours.  We have spent many weeks in Paris and would have flown over there late next month (for a few weeks) had the French not banned Americans.  

If we were advising a friend on that Reflection cruise (assuming it actually happens) we would suggest spending the Le Havre day exploring parts of Normandy.  Once the cruise ends in Amsterdam, after a few land days in Amsterdam we would suggest hopping on the train to Paris (plenty of daily trains) and then spending several days (or weeks) in Paris before flying home of exploring more of Europe.

Hank

I am also exploring options related to Le Havre port.  We are considering ending our Celebrity Shilouette April cruise at this port instead of Southampton.  I am thinking we spend a night either in Le Lavre or maybe Honfleur, then going to Paris for 3 days and nights.  Would one day in this area be sufficient for exploring Normandy?  We would not rent a car but schedule some type of tour.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel here? 

Marilyn

Edited by smmountaingal
spelling

2 hours ago, smmountaingal said:

I am also exploring options related to Le Havre port.  We are considering ending our Celebrity Shilouette April cruise at this port instead of Southampton.  I am thinking we spend a night either in Le Lavre or maybe Honfleur, then going to Paris for 3 days and nights.  Would one day in this area be sufficient for exploring Normandy?  We would not rent a car but schedule some type of tour.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel here? 

Marilyn

Allocating days is always a dilemma when planning any trip.  Normandy is a large Provence and one could spend 1 day or 1 week.  The amount of time depends on how much you want to see and do.  If you simply want to do the usual D-Day tour (I am speaking towards the USA market) then you could arrange a one day tour to Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery (do not miss), and perhaps Utah Beach.   Many tours will also squeeze in a visit to the town of Bayeaux so you can see the famous tapestry.   Another place I really like which is generally skipped on tours is a visit to the so-called Peace Museum  in Caen.   I cannot help you with local tour companies (or guides) since our own style is to simply rent a car and go off on our own.  Just keep in mind that hiring a private guide/tour is quite expensive in France.  

Speaking of rental cars, folks might want to consider that driving in most of Normandy is very easy since it is primarily a rural part of France.  With a GPS and your own itinerary a rental car you can see what you please and save a lot of money vs a private tour.  Group tours are less costly and I guess they are fine for those who like being on group tours :).

There is generally about 1 train per hour between Le Havre's train station and Paris.   The problem with spending a night in Honfleur is that you would need to pay for transportation to get you from Le Havre to Honfleur and again to get you back to Le Havre to catch the train.  Honfleur is a cute little town with some decent shopping (small boutiques) and plenty of cafes (especially around the small harbor).   Public transportation between Le Havre and Honfleur is very limited (a few buses) so without a rental car you would probably want to use taxis.   I am not sure of the current fare but suspect it is slightly more than 50 Euros (one-way).   If Uber is still in existence it should be a little cheaper than taxis.

Hank

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Allocating days is always a dilemma when planning any trip.  Normandy is a large Provence and one could spend 1 day or 1 week.  The amount of time depends on how much you want to see and do.  If you simply want to do the usual D-Day tour (I am speaking towards the USA market) then you could arrange a one day tour to Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery (do not miss), and perhaps Utah Beach.   Many tours will also squeeze in a visit to the town of Bayeaux so you can see the famous tapestry.   Another place I really like which is generally skipped on tours is a visit to the so-called Peace Museum  in Caen.   I cannot help you with local tour companies (or guides) since our own style is to simply rent a car and go off on our own.  Just keep in mind that hiring a private guide/tour is quite expensive in France.  

Speaking of rental cars, folks might want to consider that driving in most of Normandy is very easy since it is primarily a rural part of France.  With a GPS and your own itinerary a rental car you can see what you please and save a lot of money vs a private tour.  Group tours are less costly and I guess they are fine for those who like being on group tours :).

There is generally about 1 train per hour between Le Havre's train station and Paris.   The problem with spending a night in Honfleur is that you would need to pay for transportation to get you from Le Havre to Honfleur and again to get you back to Le Havre to catch the train.  Honfleur is a cute little town with some decent shopping (small boutiques) and plenty of cafes (especially around the small harbor).   Public transportation between Le Havre and Honfleur is very limited (a few buses) so without a rental car you would probably want to use taxis.   I am not sure of the current fare but suspect it is slightly more than 50 Euros (one-way).   If Uber is still in existence it should be a little cheaper than taxis.

Hank

Thanks for your information, Hank.  I will have my husband review the tours of Normandy for his preference and that can assist our decision on a day or more.  I also have asked on our ship rollcall if anyone else is considering disembarking in Le Havre.  This may provide some additional options of planning with others for a tour and then on to Paris.  

Marilyn

10 minutes ago, smmountaingal said:

Thanks for your information, Hank.  I will have my husband review the tours of Normandy for his preference and that can assist our decision on a day or more.  I also have asked on our ship rollcall if anyone else is considering disembarking in Le Havre.  This may provide some additional options of planning with others for a tour and then on to Paris.  

Marilyn

One bummer we noticed (prior to COVID) was that a few cruise lines had started to charge an extra fee for those that want to disembark in Le Havre.  The last time we did it was on a Princess cruise and, at the time, there was no extra fees.  Princess was really helpful and picked-up our luggage at the cabin and we were able to later pick up our luggage in the small terminal building.  On that cruise (I think it might have been the Ruby Princess) there were probably around 50 passengers who disembarked at that port.   That was our norm for quite a few cruises since we had no desire to go to England (usually the last stop).   

There are lots of other options for those who disembark at Le Havre.  With a car, one could head west and visit Mont St Michel.  If going to Paris both Rouen and Giverny (Monet's home) are pretty convenient.   We have also used Le Havre disembarkations as a gateway to drive up to Belgium (Bruges)  and the Netherlands.  Unfortunately for those of us who love to drive in Europe, times have changed and one-way rentals between countries are often price prohibitive.  If spending more then 3 weeks in Europe it sometimes makes sense to take advantage of car leasing deals in France (you get to pick out a new car for your short-term lease) which do allow for dropping on some other countries (there is an additional drop charge).

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

"One bummer we noticed (prior to COVID) was that a few cruise lines had started to charge an extra fee for those that want to disembark in Le Havre.  The last time we did it was on a Princess cruise and, at the time, there was no extra fees.  Princess was really helpful and picked-up our luggage at the cabin and we were able to later pick up our luggage in the small terminal building.  On that cruise (I think it might have been the Ruby Princess) there were probably around 50 passengers who disembarked at that port.   That was our norm for quite a few cruises since we had no desire to go to England (usually the last stop). " 

Hank

Yes, Hank.  We will pay $65 per person to disembark in Le Havre.  It is a bummer, but preferences to enjoy more time in France will out weight the additional cost paid to Celebrity.

Marilyn

18 minutes ago, smmountaingal said:

Yes, Hank.  We will pay $65 per person to disembark in Le Havre.  It is a bummer, but preferences to enjoy more time in France will out weight the additional cost paid to Celebrity.

Marilyn

We used to love Celebrity but soon became disillusioned after Lisa Lutoff-Perlo assumed the CEO role and combined lots of cut-backs with price increases.  Among her "innovations" was charging folks a fee to disembark early.  I do agree that jumping off in France is well worth the $65 but would rather give that money to a favorite crew member then the company.  

Hank

• Like 2

Yes, jumping-ship in Le Havre makes a lot of sense and is frequently done by liaising with the cruise line (NCL are the only line which I'm aware don't permit it).

Public transport (train or bus) isn't a worthwhile option for travel around Normandy, especially from Le Havre. 

https://www.overlordtour.com/

There's only one Overlord tour from your ship in Le Havre  for which you can book just seats-in-van.

Alternatively you could consider a shared van via your cruise RollCall, either by booking the van & finding sharers or by responding to fellow-cruisers looking for sharers. 

You can book a hotel in Le Havre for that night, or head straight to the rail station for a direct train to Paris. The only question-mark concerns your luggage - I don't know whether there's room on the van, or whether you can pick up your luggage from the ship when you return.

If there's room on the van for your luggage you also have the option of leaving the tour in Bayeux, overnite in a hotel in Bayeux, seats in van for a choice of Overlord tours from Bayeux next day, then direct train from Bayeux to Paris that evening or next morning. 

Like Hank, I'd suggest a rental car - driving, navigation & parking are easy,  and sights have excellent signage and staff. It allows you to pick & choose your sights and timings, and opens up a huge range of accommodations - coast, villages, countryside. Arromanches would be an excellent location if you have a rental car.

But if you really don't want to know about driving, consider fixing a car and driver. A driver with decent English & local knowledge is good enough, you don't need a guide. Perhaps a car & driver from the pier & dropping you in Bayeux at the end of the day.

You could spend the night in Bayeux or head for Paris that first evening.

IMHO a second day in Normandy is worthwhile, so also consider that first night in Bayeux, then one of the Overlord tours from Bayeux on Day Two, then train from Bayeux to Paris that evening or next morning. For that first day you could fix sights that aren't duplicated on the next day's tour.

There are other tour operators in Normandy, but none to my knowledge which operate out of Le Havre.

(both Le Havre and Bayeux are served by approx hourly trains to Paris, but those are two different train lines - travel by train between Le Havre and Bayeux involves two sides of a triangle and awkward connection times)

Just MHO as always.

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Yes, jumping-ship in Le Havre makes a lot of sense and is frequently done by liaising with the cruise line (NCL are the only line which I'm aware don't permit it).

Public transport (train or bus) isn't a worthwhile option for travel around Normandy, especially from Le Havre. 

https://www.overlordtour.com/

There's only one Overlord tour from your ship in Le Havre  for which you can book just seats-in-van.

Alternatively you could consider a shared van via your cruise RollCall, either by booking the van & finding sharers or by responding to fellow-cruisers looking for sharers. 

You can book a hotel in Le Havre for that night, or head straight to the rail station for a direct train to Paris. The only question-mark concerns your luggage - I don't know whether there's room on the van, or whether you can pick up your luggage from the ship when you return.

If there's room on the van for your luggage you also have the option of leaving the tour in Bayeux, overnite in a hotel in Bayeux, seats in van for a choice of Overlord tours from Bayeux next day, then direct train from Bayeux to Paris that evening or next morning. 

Like Hank, I'd suggest a rental car - driving, navigation & parking are easy,  and sights have excellent signage and staff. It allows you to pick & choose your sights and timings, and opens up a huge range of accommodations - coast, villages, countryside. Arromanches would be an excellent location if you have a rental car.

But if you really don't want to know about driving, consider fixing a car and driver. A driver with decent English & local knowledge is good enough, you don't need a guide. Perhaps a car & driver from the pier & dropping you in Bayeux at the end of the day.

You could spend the night in Bayeux or head for Paris that first evening.

IMHO a second day in Normandy is worthwhile, so also consider that first night in Bayeux, then one of the Overlord tours from Bayeux on Day Two, then train from Bayeux to Paris that evening or next morning. For that first day you could fix sights that aren't duplicated on the next day's tour.

There are other tour operators in Normandy, but none to my knowledge which operate out of Le Havre.

(both Le Havre and Bayeux are served by approx hourly trains to Paris, but those are two different train lines - travel by train between Le Havre and Bayeux involves two sides of a triangle and awkward connection times)

Just MHO as always.

Thanks for your input, JB.  There is enough information here for me to make more discoveries and continue with plans.  However, I did post my intentions of disembarking at Le Havre on my rollcall today.  One other passenger, who is interested in this same option, told me that Celebrity advised her this week that leaving the ship prior to Southampton is not an option within Covid-19 protocols.  This is for contact tracing purposes.  So it remains unclear if the option will be available and I may not be able to wait to early part of next year for that decision.  I have flights to book or rather reschedule from this year!  In the meantime, DH and I will discuss our options out of Southampton!  It may include returning to France.

Marilyn

2 hours ago, texasstar said:

Hank, do you have accommodation recommendations for Bayeux and also northern Brittany ( Dinan, Dinard area)?  We are planning for a pre-cruise trip for next year.  Thank you. 

It has been nearly 20 years since we stayed in Bayeux so not sure you want to rely on me for a recommendation.  At the time we spent a couple of nights at the Villa Lara which is probably still a bit pricey for the area.  We have never stayed in Northern Brittany.  

Hank

9 hours ago, smmountaingal said:

told me that Celebrity advised her this week that leaving the ship prior to Southampton is not an option within Covid-19 protocols.  This is for contact tracing purposes. 

Marilyn

I can understand that in present circumstances, Marilyn.

But things change rapidly - in Europe it's currently two steps forward & one step back. Mainly a greatly improving situation, but with short-term local set-backs.

By next year hopefully the situation will be resolved - a vaccine? herd immunity? the virus mutating to a less-dangerous strain?

Currently anyone arriving into the UK from various countries has to self-quarantine for 14 days - as of a couple of days ago and with very little notice that has included France. Illegal migrants crossing the English Channel in small boats is another matter hitting the headlines, and one newspaper cartoonist put the two together

PressReader - Daily Mail: 2020-08-12 - Police broke human rights ...

"Hang on, that's the Smiths trying to get home from France before the quarantine deadline"

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

I can understand that in present circumstances, Marilyn.

But things change rapidly - in Europe it's currently two steps forward & one step back. Mainly a greatly improving situation, but with short-term local set-backs.

By next year hopefully the situation will be resolved - a vaccine? herd immunity? the virus mutating to a less-dangerous strain?

Currently anyone arriving into the UK from various countries has to self-quarantine for 14 days - as of a couple of days ago and with very little notice that has included France. Illegal migrants crossing the English Channel in small boats is another matter hitting the headlines, and one newspaper cartoonist put the two together

PressReader - Daily Mail: 2020-08-12 - Police broke human rights ...

"Hang on, that's the Smiths trying to get home from France before the quarantine deadline"

PS there are ferries from Portsmouth (20 miles from Southampton) back to Le Havre, and to Cherbourg (also with direct trains to Paris and easier for US D-Day sights) and to Ouistreham  (10 miles from Caen with direct trains to Paris, and midway between Le Havre & Cherbourg).

Lots of options. but yes you may have to make flight decisions before you know what Covid restrictions will be.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Come on JB, we know that you have been trying to rid yourself of we yanks since 1783!  

Hank

Not a bit of it, Hank.

We're too busy falling out with our neighbours on the other side of The Ditch to worry about the recalcitrant ex-Colonials on the far side of The Pond. :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

Edited by John Bull

We have had very good luck with the French hotel Novotel chain.  The Rouen property is Very nice.

We also highly recommend the Caen war museum and also suggest the Canadian  war  museum at Juno beach. 

if you have a few extra days don’t miss seeing the French Chateaux on the Loire valley.  Not too far from Bayeux and don’t miss Mont St Michel. 

Edited by bennybear

On 8/16/2020 at 5:18 AM, John Bull said:

PS there are ferries from Portsmouth (20 miles from Southampton) back to Le Havre, and to Cherbourg (also with direct trains to Paris and easier for US D-Day sights) and to Ouistreham  (10 miles from Caen with direct trains to Paris, and midway between Le Havre & Cherbourg).

Lots of options. but yes you may have to make flight decisions before you know what Covid restrictions will be.

John and others, I confirmed today that currently I cannot get off the ship in any other port prior to disembarkation in Southampton.  The idea of taking a ferry back to France is fabulous!  I love this option and will explore in detail.  With this in mind, I can set up some dates of travel from the US to Lisbon and home from Paris.  An adventure on the ferry and staying a night either in Le Havre,  Cherbourg or Bayeux will be fun to explore.

Thanks again for the dialogue and information.

Marilyn

7 minutes ago, smmountaingal said:

John and others, I confirmed today that currently I cannot get off the ship in any other port prior to disembarkation in Southampton.  The idea of taking a ferry back to France is fabulous!  I love this option and will explore in detail.  With this in mind, I can set up some dates of travel from the US to Lisbon and home from Paris.  An adventure on the ferry and staying a night either in Le Havre,  Cherbourg or Bayeux will be fun to explore.

Thanks again for the dialogue and information.

Marilyn

We live in uncertain times, Marilyn - hence the response from Celebrity and the cartoon in my last post.

But next April is a long time away, and there's every possibility that Celebrity will revert to their normal policy by then.:classic_smile:

The good thing is that you need make no commitment to taking a ferry until very close to the day, so you should know Celebrity's early disembarkation policy for your cruise in time to book .

Usually no problem making a late booking for a bus https://www.nationalexpress.com/en  from Southampton to Portsmouth International Port, or no need to pre-book to go by train https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ (but by Nat Express is easier because it drops you right at the ferryport - that's not the same place as Portsmouth Harbour) .

And it's very rare that ferries book-out for foot-passengers

Choice of ferries from Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen (Ouistreham) or Le Havre.. The D-Day beaches & sights are between Caen  & Cherbourg.  Le Havre is a little less convenient, but ferry timings might dictate which French port.

In April you should also have no problem if you want to rent a car in Normandy at short-notice. A selection of rental agencies in Le Havre, in Cherbourg, and near the rail station in Caen (about 8 miles from the ferryport in Ouistreham - Brittany Ferries used to offer a shuttle-bus from the ferryport to Caen rail station, don't know if that's still the case)

The only question-mark is a late booking for a tour or perhaps even car+driver - I'm presuming that via Southampton & ferry will be 24+ hours later than if you can jump-ship in Le Havre. 

No sweat for the time being :classic_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I have made some decisions based on many factors, but we will book the Overlord cruise excursion tour for our one day in port at LeHave.  They have my information but are not currently booking anything for the date I requested in late April.  Then we will disembark in Southampton the following day and ferry back to France.  No additional plans are made yet, but we will spend 5 nights in France before flying out of Paris to home.  Now I have the framework to make plans over the next months about additional tours and time in Paris.

Thanks.

Marilyn