I forget who mentioned it, but THANK YOU!

jebbs

I’m not sure who mentioned it, but many thanks for recommending to verify possible changes in flights.  My airline did revise its schedule, and cancelled my flight so I was able to get a full refund.  While I hope to get to Portugal some day, I was not looking forward to having a credit on TAP. Without the knowledge from the Viking boards, I would probably have settled for a voucher and the penalty of a flight change, when in fact I was in a much better position to negotiate.

So, thank you!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jebbs said:

I’m not sure who mentioned it, but many thanks for recommending to verify possible changes in flights.  My airline did revise its schedule, and cancelled my flight so I was able to get a full refund.  While I hope to get to Portugal some day, I was not looking forward to having a credit on TAP. Without the knowledge from the Viking boards, I would probably have settled for a voucher and the penalty of a flight change, when in fact I was in a much better position to negotiate.

So, thank you!

Hello Jeebs -

We also had TAP air tickets.  I learned about "cancellation-get full refund" idea on another forum I follow called "Flyer Talk". 

Did you already get your refund back from TAP?  If so, how long did you have to wait?

We initiated our refund request via phone back the first of June. It is almost 2 months later and we still have no refund.  On the phone I had no issue from them in doing the refund processing.  They did not try to talk me into a voucher.  They did seem a bit overwhelmed though.

Like yourself, I spoke with a representative who answered the telephone after 15 minutes on hold .  We spoke for 5 minutes, put on hold for 5 minutes and then given a reference number, told it was cancelled and refund could take 30 days.  That was on Thursday.  Now it’s a waiting game.

For you, it might be time to involve your credit card company.

Good  luck!

Same experience with Delta...waited for them to cancel and one significantly change another and we received refund to a credit card quite quickly.  We could not reach Delta on the phone or by email but by open chat/text that for one took minutes and the other 30 hours!!!  But we are very happy not to have $7000 in e credits!

7 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Like yourself, I spoke with a representative who answered the telephone after 15 minutes on hold .  We spoke for 5 minutes, put on hold for 5 minutes and then given a reference number, told it was cancelled and refund could take 30 days.  That was on Thursday.  Now it’s a waiting game.

For you, it might be time to involve your credit card company.

Good  luck!

Thanks, Jebbs.

I will give TAP another call and see.  They originally told us 60 days.   It was like you about a 15 minute wait.  You are correct, might be time to involve CapitalOne. 

Good luck!

I had flights scheduled with TAP in June for a tour in Italy. The flights were canceled by them and I specifically requested a refund. They thanked me for requesting vouchers (which I cannot possibly use) and emailed them. When I disputed, they had me call Portugal. After being on hold, I just gave up and filed a dispute with Capital one.

Still waiting for a refund from Aer Lingus after 2 months.

This has definitely been a time when our credit card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, has come to our rescue:

• A Vrbo flat rental in London in June.  Vrbo, all their guarantees notwithstanding, was absolutely no help in getting the flat owner to return our payment in full after we cancelled per their cancellation policy.

• Air Transat cancelled our London flights, but offered only vouchers we would be unable to use.

• Hotel San Giorgio in Civitavecchia refused to refund our deposit...again cancelled under their terms.

In all cases Chase credited our account within seven days with final confirmation coming after two billing cycles.

Edited by -Lew-
  • Like 1