Solo Cruiser - Friends Joining for a portion of a World Cruise or a Long Cruise?

Smokeyham

I have asked this question over on the World Cruise board, but thought I might ask it here as well (different audience!)

I am planning to do a world cruise solo.  However, I would like to have the opportunity to have different friends join me (sharing my cabin) for portions of the adventure.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  This could be either on a World Cruise or perhaps on a longer cruise where the other person is not available for the full length of the voyage.

I called Oceania today, and the call taker talked with her supervisor who said this is not possible on their line.   

Has anyone heard/experienced any line where this is possible?  I can understand that there may not be complete flexibility for someone to join/leave at ports of their complete choosing, but given that they also sell Round The World Cruises in segments, you would think there would be some way this could be accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. 

First, you have to find someone who is willing to accompany you on a long Cruise.
Then book the cruise on both your names and pay the deposit.
Then figure out how to collect his/her payment, how to share the cost, etc

It's a tough enough proposition even with a close friend.
I tried doing it once with a friend and he/she backed out because his/her leave was later cancelled.

Sharing a world Cruise will be a much tougher proposition, because of the huge cost and time commitment.

Hi drsel,

My plan/hope is to have different friends come on board for different segments of the cruise.   I've shared tight quarters with these friends before, but your underlying point of the need to choose your travelling companions carefully is well taken.

3 hours ago, drsel said:

How do you plan to collect payment if they are not staying in the same city

Have you ever heard of something called bank transfer?

OP is not cruising with some guy he found at the next corner, he wants to cruise with some friends.

9 hours ago, drsel said:

Then book the cruise on both your names and pay the deposit.

He first has to check if the way he wants to do it is possible with the cruise line,before he books the cruise.

@Smokeyham: Unfortunately i can`t help you with your question cause such a thought never came to my mind but i wish you the best that you do find a cruise line that offers such an option.

The idea sounds great.

You mentioned Oceania would not do it.   I would say you would probably need to call each cruise line you are interested in and find out what those specific policies are for that request.   I have never thought about doing that either. In my case, for multiple reasons:

I don't like sharing a cabin with anyone and I don't know enough people who I would ever

ask for something like this anyway. 

You could also try and find TA who specializes in cruising and tell them what you are looking for and have them do the all the research for something like this.....

Good luck with your search🙂

The cruise line will not have a problem, as long as they get their money, which they need desperately now.

The problem is finding someone who is willing to Cruise with you.

Even a close friend may ditch you last minute for various reasons.

It would be safer travelling with a family member, or at least a relative.

2 hours ago, drsel said:

for land tours, there are some group tour companies, which guarantee you a room sharing partner and if they can't find one they will not charge any single supplement

drsel,

You don't get it.  The original poster does not seek help finding someone to share the cruise; they want to know if different people can sail on different segments of the world cruise with them rather than the same person for the whole duration of a world cruise.  The OP  apparently knows different people who are willing to do this but are unable to do the whole thing.

yes, on a world Cruise, the name of the second person in the cabin cannot change for different segments of the same Cruise.

I don't think any Cruise line will allow this.

OP will have to book each segment separately with a partner of his choice

16 minutes ago, drsel said:

yes, on a world Cruise, the name of the second person in the cabin cannot change for different segments of the same Cruise.

I don't think any Cruise line will allow this.

OP will have to book each segment separately with a partner of his choice

I'll report back once I have had a chance to talk with a travel agent to see what the options are.   

• Like 2

Also be aware that world Cruises are disproportionately overpriced EVEN on a per night basis.
If a 7 night Cruise in an inside cabin is $700 per person then a 100 night Cruise in the same inside cabin should be $10,000 right?

On 7/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Smokeyham said:

I have asked this question over on the World Cruise board, but thought I might ask it here as well (different audience!)

I am planning to do a world cruise solo.  However, I would like to have the opportunity to have different friends join me (sharing my cabin) for portions of the adventure.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  This could be either on a World Cruise or perhaps on a longer cruise where the other person is not available for the full length of the voyage.

I called Oceania today, and the call taker talked with her supervisor who said this is not possible on their line.   

Has anyone heard/experienced any line where this is possible?  I can understand that there may not be complete flexibility for someone to join/leave at ports of their complete choosing, but given that they also sell Round The World Cruises in segments, you would think there would be some way this could be accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. 

I asked my wonderful TA this question and she said there shouldn't be a problem as long as the person joining you (or you, if you're generous!) pays their taxes, fees, tips, etc. You would have already paid a double fare even though you're solo. That really makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, Plant said:

I asked my wonderful TA this question and she said there shouldn't be a problem as long as the person joining you (or you, if you're generous!) pays their taxes, fees, tips, etc. You would have already paid a double fare even though you're solo. That really makes sense to me.

Thanks so much for asking the question of your travel agent!  It also makes sense to me that people should be able to join me for designated segments, just as if they were signing up for a specific segment of the world cruise.  

Curious if you asked your TA in reference to a specific cruise line, or just the question in general?

22 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks so much for asking the question of your travel agent!  It also makes sense to me that people should be able to join me for designated segments, just as if they were signing up for a specific segment of the world cruise.  

Curious if you asked your TA in reference to a specific cruise line, or just the question in general?

I'm sure she was answering for Princess since that's who I sail with most of the time.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same on every line.  

I'd suggest you check with a TA rather than go with whatever you're told on a call to any cruise line's number.  You can call 10 times and get 10 different answers!

I'd like to hear what you learn because I'd like to do the same in 2022!

3 hours ago, Plant said:

I'm sure she was answering for Princess since that's who I sail with most of the time.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same on every line.  

I'd suggest you check with a TA rather than go with whatever you're told on a call to any cruise line's number.  You can call 10 times and get 10 different answers!

I'd like to hear what you learn because I'd like to do the same in 2022!

LOL....  I know what you mean!  I have heard on the Princess boards the acronym "HUTA" - Meaning that if you don't get the answer you want (or one that you know is right), the "Hang Up and Try Again."   I know I had that experience when I called about the Bon Voyage and other questions, and got incorrect information.

I'll post back here once I have some additional information about the possibility of having friends join me for segments of a world cruise.

• Like 1