Which virtual mail service?

muggo11

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard about Earth Class Mail (through 4-hour-work-week) but I haven't tried it yet. That's the one we plan to use when traveling on Storylines MV Narrative. Great idea to get a WA address. If that's for tax purposes, I'm guessing you will need to establish residency there (register to vote, car registration, driver's license). 

It's a 'snail mail' forwarding service so you can keep a physical address when you are traveling long-term. Your postal mail gets forwarded to Earth Class Mail and they open it for you and scan it and get it to you by whatever digital platform you request (email, DropBox, Google Drive...) It 'takes postal mail paperless'. If you read Earth Class Mails' reviews on Yelp, you'll find competitors such as Anytime Mailbox.    

• Like 1

Virtual mail service also does mobile check deposit and forwards packages to you wherever you are traveling at the moment. After reading the Earth Class Mail reviews, though, I wouldn't use that company. It seems they used to be really good but service took a dive in 2019. I'm not sure which ones offer a mailing address in WA. 

16 hours ago, Traveling_Family said:

It's a 'snail mail' forwarding service so you can keep a physical address when you are traveling long-term. Your postal mail gets forwarded to Earth Class Mail and they open it for you and scan it and get it to you by whatever digital platform you request (email, DropBox, Google Drive...) It 'takes postal mail paperless'. If you read Earth Class Mails' reviews on Yelp, you'll find competitors such as Anytime Mailbox.    

Thanks for the explanation.  As I said, this was a service that I never knew existed.

I am not sure I would want someone opening my mail and scanning the contents to be sent to me.  I'd have to think about that for awhile and do more researching about the service before I signed on for it.  

I have used St. Brendan's Isle, which is based in Florida, for about a year now.  I am very pleased with their service.  They serve people who are travelling around the world on boats, etc. One hint is that it takes a little bit of work/time to get set up (which I think applies to any service like this), so allow enough time in advance of departure for your travels.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all. After some research and reviews (many from the RV community), we went with PostScan.  So far, so good. We have a Seattle private mail box address while living in a short-term rental south of Seattle. Service is simple and ez to use. $25 a month for mail to both my husband and me. Forwarding mail costs extra but only rarely needed. I just file scanned contents of most mail. And have them recycle (e.g. throw away) any junk or catalogs. And now I will never have to change my address ever again!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am not sure I would want someone opening my mail and scanning the contents to be sent to me.  I'd have to think about that for awhile and do more researching about the service before I signed on for it.  

I understand your concern.   They scan and send you a picture of the exterior of the envelope.  If you like, they will then forward the actual (unopened) mail to you at the address you tell them to send it to.  

I know a fair number of boaters who use these services and have not heard of any problems, though of course things can happen.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

I understand your concern.   They scan and send you a picture of the exterior of the envelope.  If you like, they will then forward the actual (unopened) mail to you at the address you tell them to send it to.  

I know a fair number of boaters who use these services and have not heard of any problems, though of course things can happen.

When I sailed on my world cruise, I don't think such a service was available.  If it was, I never learned anything about it.