Difference between Available and Guaranteed

Having only one Regent cruise under our belt, I have a question

about the meaning of a category being listed as Guaranteed and

one being listed as Available.  We have a deposit on a cruise in

2021 where this is the case so wanted to try and understand the 

the difference.

Available: You get to choose from suites still available at time of booking. Good if you have a particular preference for position of your suite - deck level; forward, aft or midships. 

Guaranteed: You are guaranteed a  suite of the grade booked or higher, but you do not get to choose which specific suite you are eventually allocated. You may not get to know your suite number until check-in although often the gtd suites are allocated earlier.

Waitlist: No suites are available in that grade but you may be able to waitlist, with or without a deposit. If suites come available due to cancellations you will be offered the opportunity to confirm your booking.

Just want to add that people that waitlist with a deposit are put in line before those that do not (at least that is what our TA told us).

Also, if aft vibration bothers you, the Navigator has a significant aft vibration (in some seas) and the Voyager has a lesser vibration.  This vibration bothers some people quite a bit and others not so much.  We took an aft suite once on Voyager and part of the suite felt like vibrating bed.  I personally would not recommend doing a “guarantee” on either of these ships because you may get a higher suite but it could be aft.

Note:  Both ships are just fine if you avoid the aft area.

30 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Stop picking on the Vibrator - we love that ship!

😃

She is an "interesting" ship - many people love her and quite a few do not but are not as vocal as I am.  I would nominate her as the ship that needs to be sold  or put into cold lay-up.

I understand that she is a "cozy" ship and her lower category suites are a good size,  but when we have sailed on her, we missed the Observation Lounge, the extra one (or two) specialty restaurants and find LV to be terribly crowded - especially when people are trying to grab a fast bite before an excursion.  

Not trying to upset you or anyone that has sailed on and liked Navigator.  However, for people that have sailed the other ships, if they they bot know the pluses and minuses, it could be a disappointment.  

Not sure if you have sailed on Silversea but their sister ships, the Whisper and Shadow are approximately the same size as Navigator and have 50 less suites.  This makes all of the difference in the world.  We love the two Silversea ships (but not some of their their other ships).  

I do like Voyager very much - despite the vibration.   She was our favorite ship until Explorer was launched.  We also "kind of" like Mariner.  The public spaces are great - the PH suites and above are wonderful but the "regular" suites are tiny and if you cannot get a shower-only suite, you are stuck with a bathtub that is problematic.

Guess I'm a bit fussy😈

17 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Stop picking on the Vibrator - we love that ship!

😃

Me too.  But it's true that any GTY comes with a risk, doesn't it?  On Mariner, we ended up with the accessible cabin.  It didn't bother us, but others would not have liked it. It was also on deck 8, which is higher than we like, but I admit it was very well situated.

If I was booking a standard balcony, I would never book a GTY on Voyager, since I wouldn't want to be aft (some vibration.)  Nor on Navigator (more vibration.)