Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

In my younger days when I was active in the dating scene, I used to hate telling people I was a Nurse and all the quirky comments I would get for my profession.

So depending how many drinks I consumed lead to what career I would tell prospective suiters I did.

So one night a rather nice young man approached me and after a couple rounds the question arouse, and my response was,

". . . I really do not like to tell too many people but I am Congressman ___________ personal secretary.  And the man goes "Wow"  and continues to say, "I was just in his office last week and I must of missed you"  Now I have to think quick, so I go

". . . I work in the satellite office in the court house on the 4th floor".  He responds  "thats amazing, you must work with the pigeons, the court house only has three floors".   BUSTED.

That night ended early.

Funny though I ran into him about 20 years later when he was having surgery, Thank God I was not his anesthetist.

So moral of story, Think before you speak.

Stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I've run into this snobbiness myself in person more than once. I just kinda laugh.

I meet a couple who must be cruising almost all the time, who proudly showed me they have official name tags, like employees. I've run into it myself. I find it amusing that people act like rcl is some top tier status symbol. Makes no sense to me why people act like rcl tier is a big status symbol. Sure I want top tier for the solo perks, but not because it makes me feel important. 

47 minutes ago, island lady said:

Same reply I have to each question of "what do you do for a living?".....I tell them I am unemployed.  😉 

OK..it's by choice...but it's still the truth.  🤭

I give the same answer or I'm a stay at home dog mom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Well, the Birdman escaped Alcatraz

Nope.  Robert Stroud, the Canary-Man, was not the wonderful person the movies made him out to be.  In addition, he never escaped from Alcatraz.  "To this day, Frank Morris, Clarence Anglin and John Anglin remain the only people who have escaped Alcatraz and never been found — a disappearance that is one of the country's most notorious unsolved mysteries. ... "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I am wondering if we ran into that same guy...I finally had to leave.  😮 

Funny true story:

We were getting on the elevator one day, when an obnoxious woman let us know loudly that she had just made Emerald...was really bragging about it.  She asked our status, and I told her "Oh...we never made Emerald"...to which she snorted "Oh....you might make it one day!"...as she left at the next floor.  At which point both of us burst out laughing.  😄 

We were on a long cruise during "the change" going from Platinum to Diamond some years previous.  So it's true, we jumped right over that short span of Emerald level...and drats...never got the pin.  😄 

The addition of emerald is what made us have to wait one additional cruise to make D.  Timing is everything lol.

We have never worn any of our pins either.  In fact, I accidentally threw out our D pins on the cruise we received them on as they were in a stack of papers.  Our D+ pins are still attached to the cardboard they came on and are in a drawer somewhere.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BND said:

The addition of emerald is what made us have to wait one additional cruise to make D.  Timing is everything lol.

We have never worn any of our pins either.  In fact, I accidentally threw out our D pins on the cruise we received them on as they were in a stack of papers.  Our D+ pins are still attached to the cardboard they came on and are in a drawer somewhere.  

We put mine on the little stuffed Dolphin Bucky takes in his carry on.  He calls her "Diamond Dolly".  😉 

• Like 1

Asking what people do for a living is a pretty standard question as far as small talk goes.  Heck, I'm watching Let's Make A Deal right now and it's the first question Wayne Brady asks each contestant.  I retired in March, but I always told the truth (mostly) that I was a US Gov employee.  I just left off who I worked for because it usually invited questions I really couldn't answer plus we were always told to be as vague as possible.  So, to me that questions is fine as long as people don't interrogate you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

Asking what people do for a living is a pretty standard question as far as small talk goes.  Heck, I'm watching Let's Make A Deal right now and it's the first question Wayne Brady asks each contestant.  I retired in March, but I always told the truth (mostly) that I was a US Gov employee.  I just left off who I worked for because it usually invited questions I really couldn't answer plus we were always told to be as vague as possible.  So, to me that questions is fine as long as people don't interrogate you.

I agree with you, it never bothers me if someone asks me what I did for a living, it seems a fairly innocent question.  My husband says the same as you, government employee, and lets it go at that. 

The only topics I refuse to get involved in are religion and politics.😂

Sherri🙂

12 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

Interesting.  I have found that some people enjoy talking about religion and have never seen an argument develop.

Politics, especially for the last three years, is another matter.  I will always avoid it.  The only exception is when the other person reveals their stance and it coincides with mine.  I will never take the bait to challenge someone who disagrees.  There's no point to it. 

• Like 2

I knew a guy that owned about 30 or so convenience stores. I was with him in a bar one night and some guy asked him what he did for a living.....without missing a beat he just answered...I work in a grocery store...

When we get asked that question we just say that we are what the Economists classify as "hard core unemployables"..

Doug

43 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I agree with you, it never bothers me if someone asks me what I did for a living, it seems a fairly innocent question.  My husband says the same as you, government employee, and lets it go at that. 

Sherri🙂

I know it's a innocent question but one I have never been able to easily answer. I've traded stocks, flipped houses back in my 20s before it was a thing, been a slum landlord, did business routes to drop off newspapers and subbed for cash. Guys paid me $100 a night for 3 to 5 hours of my time so they didn't have to work 7 nights a week, been a lot of things. Have 10 years of post grad but never been anything I could put a title for. That job with amex I took in disputes I only took for the insurance benefits. And tbh I walked away to move back to texas and been taking care of my family for about 20 years now. My mom doesn't really drive, my sister cant drive because of epilepsy and my dad got macular degeneration..though to be honest was hard to get him to stop driving. 

Kinda hard to say I'm retired when I was clearly way too young to be retired but couldn't work and drive them to doctors and my sister around.,

So I hate when people ask what I do for a living. Name it, I've done it. Even worked for the govt. Lol us govt both at cleve tank plant and downtown office, and in Hawaii I was a section 8 housing inspector. State of hawaii job. I have wanderlust feet and moved around. 

My parents used to ask me what I was going to do when I grew up until I turned 40 and they gave up. I've had 5 condos, 4 rented out. Before that a 8 plex and 5 plex and a historical home. Fixed up stuff and then sold. Now they call it flipping.

Not everyone has a label they can answer that question with. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I know it's a innocent question but one I have never been able to easily answer. I've traded stocks, flipped houses back in my 20s before it was a thing, been a slum landlord, did business routes to drop off newspapers and subbed for cash. Guys paid me $100 a night for 3 to 5 hours of my time so they didn't have to work 7 nights a week, been a lot of things. Have 10 years of post grad but never been anything I could put a title for. That job with amex I took in disputes I only took for the insurance benefits. And tbh I walked away to move back to texas and been taking care of my family for about 20 years now. My mom doesn't really drive, my sister cant drive because of epilepsy and my dad got macular degeneration..though to be honest was hard to get him to stop driving. 

Kinda hard to say I'm retired when I was clearly way too young to be retired but couldn't work and drive them to doctors and my sister around.,

So I hate when people ask what I do for a living. Name it, I've done it. Even worked for the govt. Lol us govt both at cleve tank plant and downtown office, and in Hawaii I was a section 8 housing inspector. State of hawaii job. I have wanderlust feet and moved around. 

My parents used to ask me what I was going to do when I grew up until I turned 40 and they gave up. I've had 5 condos, 4 rented out. Before that a 8 plex and 5 plex and a historical home. Fixed up stuff and then sold. Now they call it flipping.

Not everyone has a label they can answer that question with. 

True, but it sounds like you have certainly had a busy and interesting life.  You could easily answer with  “real estate” and move on if you didn’t want to give details.  

I never realized that people hated this question until I joined CC years ago.  😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spunks said:

I knew a guy that owned about 30 or so convenience stores. I was with him in a bar one night and some guy asked him what he did for a living.....without missing a beat he just answered...I work in a grocery store...

When we get asked that question we just say that we are what the Economists classify as "hard core unemployables"..

Doug

When I bought that oceanfront condo I had moved from hawaii, didn't know nova. Was about age 37. Because I paid cash they didn't do a interview to allow me to buy. Usually the board interviews buyers. 

Anyway, I was moving the last things over ... the broom and stuff where i had swept up and cleaned where i rented while i looked. Parked in my assigned spot and a couple came over to me telling me that spot was only for owners. I said i am the owner. Lololol. After that they went out of their way to overdo being nice. I guess no one my young age ever bought there. They "owned stores in nyc". Lol. I was one story below penthouse, right below them. Best ever private view of the ocean I ever had.

I guess they assumed I was the hired help. Lol.   I had been cleaning and was hot and sweaty, last stuff to move included cleaning stuff.  Actually I really loved that condo. I felt safe with all those old people who lived in that oceanfront boca raton oceanfront condo. And I played bridge with the old ladies. 

But my move in was funny. But I hate to be asked what I do for a living. I agree people think it's a innocent question, but not everyone has a answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

True, but it sounds like you have certainly had a busy and interesting life.  You could easily answer with  “real estate” and move on if you didn’t want to give details.  

I never realized that people hated this question until I joined CC years ago.  😂

Sherri🙂

Lol I guess interesting is a good way of putting it.

I almost wish I had joined the air force but EDS offered me a computer job and the recruiter said to me, you did very well on the math .... for a woman. I think I would have liked the air force and travelling.

Not a cruise observation but years ago when Harrahs, Atlantic City started their loyalty levels, Diamond was the highest.  One night as we all waited on the line to get into the Diamond Club, this older woman came running to the front yelling Diamond here.  We looked at her like she was crazy since we were all Diamond, this the name of the Club🤪

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Dubinsky, named for a hockey player and rescued from an alley on Long Island 11 years ago.

Thanks for liking him.  I'm going to assume you have cats.

I appreciate cats, kind of like how they appreciate humans. Great story to how he was named, as I am happy to see hockey back on again. 

37 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

I always tell people if asked, I am the CEO of a refinery, stops them talking $#@% then 😂

CE865939-3763-41AB-B36F-1F9756F7C3BC.jpeg

I used to work oil field services at the end of my career. I'd tell people I did fracking and wait on the response.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I appreciate cats, kind of like how they appreciate humans. Great story to how he was named, as I am happy to see hockey back on again. 

And we all love pictures of Lucy....hint..hint.  😉