Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

1 hour ago, George C said:

Not totally true there is a ship in Germany cruising, if you go to Celebrity there is a tread with over 15,000 views on it . Agree it’s almost rare for us to stay in topic .

Yes, knew about that and found the picture of embarkation day for that ship.  😉 

Where and how to eat guinea pig, or cuy, in Lima and rural Peru

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2020 at 3:19 PM, peanut head said:

I am relatively new to CC and have only been cruising for a couple of years.  What I find disturbing on this site is that many times when someone asks a question or posts a comment regarding their higher level loyalty status or stateroom/suite others feel it necessary to post disparaging remarks.  If a cruiser has spent, or is spending, their hard earned money to enjoy their time at sea in whatever capacity they choose, and are not hurting anyone else, then why be snarky to that person?  It seems to me that many times the biggest "snobs and elitists" are not those in D/D+/Pinnacle categories and/or Star Class Suites, but those who are not.  As we have learned from an early age, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I just read this entire thread and saw that I never posted on it before.Rather than make multiple posts I will just make one.

My wife and I have been cruising since 1973 when there were no ships with suites.

We have been in OV ,Interior. and balconies.We have no desire to ever book a suite but we would never tell anyone that they are wasting money by booking a suite.

I have been posting on CC since 2008 and have viewed many people telling others what they should or should not do,ridiculous in my opinion.

Next topic: My wife spent many years in Hospital Administration .

I spent 6 years working as an Undercover Investigator .On one cruise we sat down at a table for lunch and who was there ,one of the people who spent a portion of his life behind bars courtesy of me.The question was asked “And what kind of work do you do”?

I made sure not to mention that job.

I saw that one of the people posting on this thread is from Astoria,NY.I spent a good portion of my youth there especially at the great Italian restaurants.

p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Why is a TUI live review on the Celebrity board?

Tui doesn't have a dedicated section and for some reason Germancruiser thought it would be the most appropriate place to post. I've asked Admins to create a Tui section.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, George C said:

I believe the ship was a former celebrity ship Mercury 

The current Mein Schiff 2 is a brand new build, just released last year. Its only relation to Celebrity is that its part of the new Rayal Carribean Group. The old Mein Schiff 2, renamed Mein Schiff Herz, was the former X Mercury.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Tui doesn't have a dedicated section and for some reason Germancruiser thought it would be the most appropriate place to post. I've asked Admins to create a Tui section.

I recall he was chatting here prior to his departure

29 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The current Mein Schiff 2 is a brand new build, just released last year. Its only relation to Celebrity is that its part of the new Rayal Carribean Group. The old Mein Schiff 2, renamed Mein Schiff Herz, was the former X Mercury.

We saw one of the new builds in Malaga on our Allure TA

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I spent 6 years working as an Undercover Investigator .On one cruise we sat down at a table for lunch and who was there ,one of the people who spent a portion of his life behind bars courtesy of me.The question was asked “And what kind of work do you do”?

Do you remember whether he was a suite guest?

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Honestly never understood the fascination around here with Indian food. 🤔

Just not a fan

16 hours ago, yogimax said:

Same for me with sushi... I don't understand all the fuss!

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hahahahaha. I dont like Italian or pasta. 

how!!! Like some of the most universally appreciated food... boggles my mind, man, feel a little bad for you all missing out on good food.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think it boils down to what you are used to at home. I think the Italian food on cruise ships is a step above Olive Garden, especially the eggplant parmesan but I grew up with my grandmothers home made pasta the tomato sauce made from tomatoes.  I like the sushi and and asian/ Indian dishes but I bet the Asians consider it fast food.

Yeah, the sushi (even in the "asian" restaurants) is like... gas-station sushi.  and like US gas-station, not japanese convenience stores which are actually decent.

The Indian food I feel like is somewhat more authentic due to the Indian chefs, but to me it feels toned down because their customers like bland food for some reason.  I wish they would just make it super spicy and super home-made taste.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I like Asian and indian and sushi. I love raw fish if its fresh. I got some as a appetizer in the pay for Italian restaurant before. They said previously frozen. I lived in Hawaii and I guess I'm spoiled for fresh raw fish, not frozen. Just went for sushi 2 days ago. It's like candy so good here.

Cruise ship sushi should not be a thing!

jc

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

how!!! Like some of the most universally appreciated food... boggles my mind, man, feel a little bad for you all missing out on good food.

Yeah, the sushi (even in the "asian" restaurants) is like... gas-station sushi.  and like US gas-station, not japanese convenience stores which are actually decent.

The Indian food I feel like is somewhat more authentic due to the Indian chefs, but to me it feels toned down because their customers like bland food for some reason.  I wish they would just make it super spicy and super home-made taste.

I couldn't agree more!! 

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I saw that one of the people posting on this thread is from Astoria,NY.I spent a good portion of my youth there especially at the great Italian restaurants.

That's me... a native of Astoria, now back living there.

Being so ethnically diverse, Astoria is blessed with a vast variety of restaurants from all cultures.  Most folks think of Greek restaurants, but there's so much more.

At the end of our block is Piccola Venezia, which has been around for ages.  Is this one you remember?

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

That's me... a native of Astoria, now back living there.

Being so ethnically diverse, Astoria is blessed with a vast variety of restaurants from all cultures.  Most folks think of Greek restaurants, but there's so much more.

At the end of our block is Piccola Venezia, which has been around for ages.  Is this one you remember?

Yes,I had two friends living in Astoria.The last time I was in Astoria was 2014 but ate at a Greek restaurant.

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

The Indian food is actually quite good, no doubt due to the Indian chefs.  The spices tend to be spot on, but as you say, the heat is toned down.  When you eat in an Indian restaurant, they will normally ask you the amount of spice you like.  They can't do that on a ship, so they go with the lowest common denominator.

Edited by yogimax

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I had two friends living in Astoria.The last time I was in Astoria was 2014 but ate at a Greek restaurant.

At one point there were more Greeks living in Astoria than in Athens.  That has changed to a degree.  Our two neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary.  Gotta love it!

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

At one point there were more Greeks living in Astoria than in Athens.  That has changed to a degree.  Our two neighbors are from Croatia and Hungary.  Gotta love it!

Astoria and LIC have changed greatly over the past ten years as you know.I grew up in Brooklyn and spent most of my life there before moving to Long Island in 2003.

48 minutes ago, davekathy said:

...🤢

My sentiments exactly.  Frozen fish thawed...bleeehh!!  😜

Unless they are catching fish off the aft for fresh sushi...it "ain't sushi".  😉   Good sushi should be hours old before the knife.  🙃🐟

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

My sentiments exactly.  Frozen fish thawed...bleeehh!!  😜

Unless they are catching fish off the aft for fresh sushi...it "ain't sushi".  😉   Good sushi should be hours old before the knife.  🙃🐟

I’ve seen TV shows and video where some of the smaller ships and exclusive ones that actually buy fresh fish from known providers at certain ports. I don’t think this happens with Royal. Surely it doesn’t meet the job description of the Concierge. Lol

We have done the galley tour on Allure and Harmony. The I-95 manager told us all meat/fish was required to be frozen. It had to be tracked for health reasons. 

M8

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

The Indian food is actually quite good, no doubt due to the Indian chefs.  The spices tend to be spot on, but as you say, the heat is toned down.  When you eat in an Indian restaurant, they will normally ask you the amount of spice you like.  They can't do that on a ship, so they go with the lowest common denominator.

Some people can ask😇