Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

Based on one of the hotel recommendations by cruisemom42 , and much research, we will be staying at the Hotel Ponte Sisto for the  first  three nights of our stay before we move to Marriott Gran Flora where our 3 day  Pre-cruise tour has us staying . 
The hotel looks lovely and exactly what I was looking for and the ideal location for our plans for our first few days. 

We recommend the Hotel Damaso.  It's across from the Piazza Navona, a short walk from the Pantheon, very close to the Campo Di Fiori.  It is also close to two bus routes and a taxi stand.  The room was lovely, the area was quiet at night, and the breakfast was excellent.  It also has adjacent easy short term parking, if you are being picked up or dropped off by car.  We loved it and would stay there again, if we went back to Rome.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, -Lew- said:

As I mentioned, our only stay at Albergo del Senato was in 2015 and the appointments in our room, at least, did not compare favorably to the ones you posted.  After all, they are current, staged photos, from the Albergo del Senato website.  

I don't usually take photos of hotel rooms (but sometimes will take them of the view out the window).  However, I have stayed in the exact room I posted and it looked 99% the same. I have also stayed in another room along the front with a similar bath -- that green tile is unmistakeable -- and slightly different bedroom decor. And this past November when I was there for 10 nights I had a different room, on the corner (with windows on both sides) a bit closer to the Pantheon-side of the piazza with beautiful fabric-covered walls, silk drapes, and a marble bath. I think they upgraded me as I was there so long and it was low season! I do have a photo of that room, though the bed isn't fully made :classic_blush:, and also the view out the window:

image.thumb.png.8a107776b0c410e0beb0dda3e0366da1.png

image.thumb.png.b88fdbfcd619f7341449eff538626558.png

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 9:58 PM, marazul said:

Question on the Albergo del Senato.

Do you need to book a junior suite to get the view of the Piazza Navona? Or are the regular double rooms also on the piazza?

Also, has anyone stayed at the Palazzo Navona?  Or the Eithch Borromini Palazzo Pamphilii?

Thanks

With the exception of one trip with my mother, I have always been a solo when staying at the del Senato. They do have solo rooms facing the front, which I greatly appreciate. I am sure they have doubles as well (probably listed as a superior double).  

It's another thing I like about the hotel. Solo rooms in European hotels are often not as well located. I've had my share of rooms overlooking alleys, fire escapes, interior stairwells, waste bins and air compressors.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:23 AM, marazul said:

You are not going to believe this. My trip is one year from now.  I tried to book a superior room at the Senato and they are sold out two nights out of the three I wanted. So I booked a standard room and will keep checking.  

Sure they are sold out? European hotels frequently don't book this far out.

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sure they are sold out? European hotels frequently don't book this far out.

Reservations are open on their website.  Check superior rooms on August 30 and 31 of next year. Those 2 nights they are sold out.  I do have a confirmed reservation for a standard room including those dates.

19 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Looking for a new  modern hotel in Rome up scale any thoughts ??

Rome isn't known for cutting-edge contemporary hotels. Most of the top-rated hotels located IN the city (where most people want to be) are traditional in style and decor. That doesn't mean that they don't have all of the modern amenities/conveniences.  It's just a matter of style.

For example, if you look at the top 5 hotels in Rome as listed in Travel and Leisure (link below), most are true "grande dames" of Rome in good locations but not very modern. Perhaps the JK Roma hotel listed is more contemporary, but I know nothing about it, so cannot advise:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/hotels-in-downtown-rome

When looking at hotels, the via Veneto area (where some of these top 5 are situated), though celebrated in the 1950s and 60s would not be my chosen area for a hotel, just FYI -- not really close enough to the sites to be convenient.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:23 PM, marazul said:

You are not going to believe this. My trip is one year from now.  I tried to book a superior room at the Senato and they are sold out two nights out of the three I wanted. So I booked a standard room and will keep checking.  

WOW!  That is really strange this far in advance.  I wonder if there is some kind of major trade show or other event during your trip.  

Hank

50 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

WOW!  That is really strange this far in advance.  I wonder if there is some kind of major trade show or other event during your trip.  

Hank

Maybe there is a convention of wishful thinkers -- like me. 😁

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, marazul said:

Maybe there is a convention of wishful thinkers -- like me. 😁

Just returned from a routine doctor appointment with my family physician.  He asked me about our travel schedule and I mentioned heading back to Mexico for the winter (our winter home) and then flying to Japan in March for some land time followed by a long cruise.  We both laughed at that and agreed there was little chance of long cruises next year and even less chance of any cruises in Asia.  To quote my physician, "COVID is not going away any time soon."

Hank

On 9/12/2020 at 6:28 PM, frenchhorn said:

We recommend the Hotel Damaso.  It's across from the Piazza Navona, a short walk from the Pantheon, very close to the Campo Di Fiori.  It is also close to two bus routes and a taxi stand.  The room was lovely, the area was quiet at night, and the breakfast was excellent.  It also has adjacent easy short term parking, if you are being picked up or dropped off by car.  We loved it and would stay there again, if we went back to Rome.

We stayed at Hotel Damaso for 3 nights. The hotel had been recently renovated (a good thing).

The not so good thing is the apparent (they are aware of this) lack of a mirror by an electric outlet (in the bedroom)

and the lack of an outlet bu the mirror in the bathroom. It is really tough for women to deal with their wet hair.

We really liked the location. Upon reading recent reviews, this goof has not been rectified.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just returned from a routine doctor appointment with my family physician.  He asked me about our travel schedule and I mentioned heading back to Mexico for the winter (our winter home) and then flying to Japan in March for some land time followed by a long cruise.  We both laughed at that and agreed there was little chance of long cruises next year and even less chance of any cruises in Asia.  To quote my physician, "COVID is not going away any time soon."

Hi Hank,

My plans for next year are for my entertainment during the pandemic as well as wishful thinking.  The hotel reservation is just that, it can be canceled.  I did put a deposit down on a September cruise, but it is fully refundable. And that is as far as I will go.

OTOH, there is a small chance that September is a reasonable choice.  On a previous life I had involvement with clinical trial approvals and I still have contacts in that area.  What I hear is that if any of the current major three trials prove their safety and efficacy by December or January, there is a chance that my travel plans will be possible by September.  But, it is really "wishful thinking "because "COVID is not going away any time soon."  If not, I will start daydreaming about 2022...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, marazul said:

Hi Hank,

My plans for next year are for my entertainment during the pandemic as well as wishful thinking.  The hotel reservation is just that, it can be canceled.  I did put a deposit down on a September cruise, but it is fully refundable. And that is as far as I will go.

OTOH, there is a small chance that September is a reasonable choice.  On a previous life I had involvement with clinical trial approvals and I still have contacts in that area.  What I hear is that if any of the current major three trials prove their safety and efficacy by December or January, there is a chance that my travel plans will be possible by September.  But, it is really "wishful thinking "because "COVID is not going away any time soon."  If not, I will start daydreaming about 2022...

We are with you on this.  While our April cruise is unlikely we also have bookings in October (Caribbean) and December (Central/South America).  The situation with that April cruise (embarking in Japan) is that the ship is scheduled to begin Asian cruises in late December.  I would not be surprised if HAL simply cancels the entire Asian season.  Japan also has another big issue which is the scheduled Tokyo Olympics in July-Aug of 2021.  The Olympic Games are a major priority for Japan so I am thinking they will keep all tourism (including cruising) at a minimum until July so as not to risk jeopardizing those games.

Hank

Sure makes travel and the usual joy of planning tricky.  I have cancelled so many trips lately that when we can travel we will dust off our plans.  Particularly concerned about our usual winter in Hawaii.  We may have to deal with a whole Canadian winter for the first time in years!   Not sure we will ever get to Tahiti.   Hopefully Greece again one day.

Hank we did the Japan cruise last year along with two weeks independently,  if I can be of any help. One of our favourites, hopefully you can go. 

Marazul,  I am with you plan, but only refundable. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:54 AM, -Lew- said:

We booked a Superior Double Room for a room facing the Pantheon.   The hotel is on the Piazza della Rotonda...Piazza Navona is about a ten minutes walk to the west.

A Superior Double seems to be an ideal choice and if it has a balcony I think I could relocate there for ever :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Any thoughts on Hotel Artemide?

I haven't personally stayed there but know several people who have and who really enjoyed it. However, its location (closer to Termini) is less appealing to me -- unless I was only in Rome for a night in transit, perhaps.