Beautiful Fakarava

A few pictures from last March while visiting Fakarava on the Paul Gauguin ... Blue lagoon area. Looking forward to going again to Fakarava next year.

So crowded 

1.jpg

Snorkel stop along the way

2.jpg

Swimming/Snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon

3.jpg

Just beautiful  .... and blue

4.jpg

3rd stop was for a BBQ lunch ... afterwards it was time to veg in the water

5.jpg

Plenty of shade to find your special spot

6.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Back in 2017, our first PG cruise stopped at Fakarava on our way to the Marquesas. We didn't book an excursion since we were first time cruise ship passengers, although we had spent a week on Moorea and a week on Bora Bora in 1995. We took the PG tender to shore, with only dollars in our pocket.  And we found that we should have had XPF. We asked around if anyone would give us a tour for dollars, and we found a man named Anoah (my phonetic spelling) who was married to a French woman, and had a small hotel. He gave us a wonderful drive around to all of the sights near the tender drop off, and we really enjoyed it. If we were younger, we would love to go to Fakarava for a week or 2 and stay at a small hotel.

We'll be looking for an excursion this time on Fakarave that doesn't involve swimming with sharks, wich is what we did in the afternoon.

Those photos of Fakarava are beautiful TBK.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

@Tahitianbigkahuna

Forgive me for jumping into the PG board but had to peek. Wow- your photos are STUNNING! Very enjoyable.'

Did you go out with Ato?

@Petoonya

Yes .... already confirmed my group with him again for next year ... 

Glad you enjoyed the pictures ... fresh catch and coconut cakes

DSC03327.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

5 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

What is your favorite island?  Why?  We will go to Tahiti for the first time next Feb. Hopefully our cruise not  get cancel.   Seem like you have been there several time. Would love to hear your thoughts. 

Not sure who you directed your questions to but for me there isn't just one island that is my favorite.

Bora Bora is my favorite for photography island as the lagoon colors are multi and stunning plus you get the beautiful mountain in the background. 

Moorea is an island that is easy to love and the interior is stunning

Fakarava is the perfect island for serenity when you venture out into the massive lagoon.

Huahine for ancient culture sites

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Tahitianbigkahuna I’ve been lurking on these boards long enough to know you are a wealth of information and I thank you for that!!  We are cruising next fall and because of timing can not take a cruise going to Fakarava.  Have you ever visited not on a cruise?  I’ve been able to find out all kinds of information, just not how easy/difficult it is to get there without a ship. 😎

1 hour ago, matandbri said:

@Tahitianbigkahuna I’ve been lurking on these boards long enough to know you are a wealth of information and I thank you for that!!  We are cruising next fall and because of timing can not take a cruise going to Fakarava.  Have you ever visited not on a cruise?  I’ve been able to find out all kinds of information, just not how easy/difficult it is to get there without a ship. 😎

I've visited Fakarava several times but always by ship. It is an easy flight from Papeete to Fakarava if you need to do a pre/post stay. There are several smaller rental places but only one has A/C if that is a big deal to you.  Fakarava is very serene ... not much night life, you go there for the incredible lagoon for both snorkeling and diving. 

If you go for a stay on the island just make sure you are not there when a large ship is visiting as there isn't much infrastructure. Smaller ships are not an issue like the PG but occasionally a behemoth visits and it can overwhelm the small island of only 800 inhabitants,  

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I've visited Fakarava several times but always by ship. It is an easy flight from Papeete to Fakarava if you need to do a pre/post stay. There are several smaller rental places but only one has A/C if that is a big deal to you.  Fakarava is very serene ... not much night life, you go there for the incredible lagoon for both snorkeling and diving. 

If you go for a stay on the island just make sure you are not there when a large ship is visiting as there isn't much infrastructure. Smaller ships are not an issue like the PG but occasionally a behemoth visits and it can overwhelm the small island of only 800 inhabitants,  

Thank You!

• Like 1