Sony debuts the A7sIII

pierces

Although this new model has no place in my non-video-centric equipment stable, it is a beast for video and has a lot of incremental tech improvements that make me hopeful for both adoption by the next generation of the photo-centric models and implementation in current models via firmware.

Notable tech:

- New dual processor that processes image and video independent of file management (less buffer lag or continued menu and control access during buffer?)

- 9.44M pixel 120 fps viewfinder - 2x the resolution of the A7rIV and 4x my A7III. 

- Fully articulating LCD screen. It can be rotated and closed with the back side out like the A77 for dim shooting situations where you are only using the viewfinder.

- Relocated movie button. Yeah. So what? That said, I might be more amenable to video if I didn't have to hunt for the stupid button. Maybe it will allow reprogramming to use the shutter button as the video button?

- Expanded touchscreen function. Menu control by touch, at last!

- New menu! Redesigned and apparently much friendlier. (Older model firmware update please!)

- Greater than 1 hour recording at 4k/60p with no overheat. ( Oh, boy! Hour long uninterrupted vacation clips at last! 😕)

- Both card slots accept either SD (UHS-II) or the new, smaller CFexpress Type A (700MB/s) cards.

- Grip, battery and button ergonomics from the A7rIV.

Again, not on my wish list but many of the bits and pieces could end up on my future A7IV or A7rV with no complaints from be and if the menu appears in a firmware update, I'll be a happy camper.

Dave

10 hours ago, ski ww said:

What are your thoughts on the new Nikon Z5?

I haven't given it a close look since I am invested in a system that I like and over-serves my needs. Like most systems at this level, if you are just starting out and don't have an investment in lenses, it is a good camera that takes good pictures and would make a good entry level platform to grow on. The available lenses are good, but not really any better or worse than the competition. Lens pricing is about average with the usual middle road and the sky-high pro glass. It's burst shooting is 4.5 fps, which is a little slow for a modern mirrorless but not everybody cares about or uses high burst rates. Really, it is a good entry level camera that won't tempt anyone to sell their lenses and switch but would make a new user happy. Even though it is currently about $400 more, I personally feel the A7III is a better value feature-wise.  Of course, my opinion is colored by having used one extensively for a couple of years. 😉

Dave