webinar????

They went through sample cruises for each of the ships.  When they got to the Mariner they went through the 2022 ring of fire world cruise, but did not mention the 2021 WC at all.  I think it is kaput.  Anything before February or March of 2021 is probably gone.  We have a cruise on the Splendor at the end of March and I hope that sails.  I thought they would mention the 2023 WC, but they didn’t.  Sorry for the bad news.

34 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

They went through sample cruises for each of the ships.  When they got to the Mariner they went through the 2022 ring of fire world cruise, but did not mention the 2021 WC at all.  I think it is kaput.  Anything before February or March of 2021 is probably gone.  We have a cruise on the Splendor at the end of March and I hope that sails.  I thought they would mention the 2023 WC, but they didn’t.  Sorry for the bad news.

I noticed the same thing.  

Interesting I was just on a zoom call (yes even in semi-retirement, I am still working a bit) and one of docs from San Francisco happened to mention her brother is a doc who has worked on cruise ships for the past ten years or so.  He is presently living with her because his employment contract was terminated as result in the stoppage of cruises.  It appears that there are staffing agencies that provide docs and nurses for many of the cruise lines.  When he inquired (I imagine with the staffing agency) when his services would be needed,  she said that he was told to reach out to them mid 2021 and if there was resolution, they would contact him immediately.  Unfortunately he does not have his ECFMG so he cannot work in the US.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Interesting I was just on a zoom call (yes even in semi-retirement, I am still working a bit) and one of docs from San Francisco happened to mention her brother is a doc who has worked on cruise ships for the past ten years or so.  He is presently living with her because his employment contract was terminated as result in the stoppage of cruises.  It appears that there are staffing agencies that provide docs and nurses for many of the cruise lines.  When he inquired (I imagine with the staffing agency) when his services would be needed,  she said that he was told to reach out to them mid 2021 and if there was resolution, they would contact him immediately.  Unfortunately he does not have his ECFMG so he cannot work in the US.  

Interesting for sure. But hat fits with the first cruises that were mentioned on the Webinar and with the some of the guesses being thrown around on the Regent threads about how long it will take the CDC to come up for sailing guidelines. Afraid it may be a lonnnnng Fall and Winter!

• Like 2

All,

As we live in Colorado which is trying it's best to open tourist facilities like restaurants and such with requirements for masks and distancing, it is difficult for us to imagine how these requirements could be duplicated, even on an uncrowded ship like those of Regent. And I imagine it would be impossible on the ships of NCL.  Those ships are so crowded that we wouldn't want to cruise on one even if there were no pandemic!  I suspect we are looking at late spring, 2021for any resumption of cruising. From news reports, I hear that Pfizer has $1B in vaccine already available, with the hope that approval will come this late fall or early winter. From "inside information" I know that Johnson & Johnson is in the same position with their vaccine. I think we all know that medical personnel and first responders will be first on the list to get the vaccine. I am hoping that us seniors will be second. If all this turns out, the earliest we could think about a Regent cruise (as we have known it) would be late spring or early summer 2021. We can wait. Look over at the Paul Guaguin board and see what the people on a December 31 charter will have to endure onboard. It all maybe necessary, but it just isn't a cruise!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

All,

As we live in Colorado which is trying it's best to open tourist facilities like restaurants and such with requirements for masks and distancing, it is difficult for us to imagine how these requirements could be duplicated, even on an uncrowded ship like those of Regent. And I imagine it would be impossible on the ships of NCL.  Those ships are so crowded that we wouldn't want to cruise on one even if there were no pandemic!  I suspect we are looking at late spring, 2021for any resumption of cruising. From news reports, I hear that Pfizer has $1B in vaccine already available, with the hope that approval will come this late fall or early winter. From "inside information" I know that Johnson & Johnson is in the same position with their vaccine. I think we all know that medical personnel and first responders will be first on the list to get the vaccine. I am hoping that us seniors will be second. If all this turns out, the earliest we could think about a Regent cruise (as we have known it) would be late spring or early summer 2021. We can wait. Look over at the Paul Guaguin board and see what the people on a December 31 charter will have to endure onboard. It all maybe necessary, but it just isn't a cruise!

I have been hearing a lot about a vaccine being already developed lately. I mean its just a matter of days now when it will be finally released. They have even tested it on people already rather than on rats or dogs. The sooner the vaccine will start to go around the world, the sooner we will manage to start cruising again.

Roger,

Right on! And we are hoping for one of the many vaccines to be available to us as soon as possible.When it is available to us, we will not only feel right about cruising again, but we can even go to the grocery store, which we have not done since March. Think about grocery stores and how the interior of them is set up, then think about 6' distancing. it is not possible. As it is. we have to buy our ordinary groceries from a store that provides free "in the car trunk" delivery. and the meat from a butcher shop that has strict mask and distancing requirements. And to get to any cruise, we would need to fly, and the airlines are not providing anything close to 6' social distancing!  A vaccine or a proven cure are the only thing that could allow cruising (and a number of other things) tp resume again/

• Like 1

Until people obey the rules re: social distancing, masks, self isolation and take up a vaccine when (if) available there will be little or no change to this virus. The virus does not respect your rights. 

People who have broken the self isolation rules here have been fined £3000 per time and two young men who came to work over here got caught. The result, one of them £6000 and the other £3000. Neither have any money so 300 days and 150 days in prison. Sounds draconian But we are 3 months free of Covid. 

Listen to the science and the real experts and follow the advice given. We will get it under control and then cruise again - yippee. 

• Like 6

I thought Dr. Murthy's (a former surgeon general of the US) assessment of some of the challenges facing even a successful development of an effective vaccine was realistic, and sobering to me - I know there's a part of me hoping so much for a panacea to arrive  immediately.  Yes, US centric and I hope the rest of the globe has a much more rational response to vaccinations than some US demographics.  And, yep, I'll give the COVID-19 panelists credit for not pulling punches.

But Murthy, who previously led U.S. responses to the Ebola and Zika outbreaks, cautioned that “even in an optimistic scenario, it would likely be closer to mid-2021 that we would see vaccines starting to be distributed at scale.”

That distribution will bring its own challenges, including the need to overcome Americans’ growing anti-vaccine sentiment of recent years and their new skepticism about the vaccines being developed for COVID-19. So even if a final vaccine is 100% effective—“which would be extremely rare,” Murthy pointed out—at least 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated in order to reach “herd immunity” against the coronavirus.

“Is there a chance we could do this all and vaccinate 70% of the population by the end of 2021? I think it would take the best vaccination campaign that we’ve ever assembled in the history of the world to do that,” Murthy said. “Could it be done? Well, there’s a first time for everything.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pandemic-end-not-2022-ex-185948939.html

• Like 1

In an attempt to get this back on topic.

IMO yesterday's Regent webinar was a missed opportunity to give their customers and TAs some useful and positive information.

Most that I heard & saw I could have gleaned from Regent brochures & website. Where was the in-depth information on future plans, e.g.:

• 2023 WC?
  • Release of the balance of 2022 itineraries?
  • Why are the ships anchored & moored where they are?
  • Development of COVID plans & engagement with the CDC & other authorities/ports around the world?
  • What does waitlisting a complete cruise indicate? (capacity cap or precursor to cancellation?)
  • etc, etc

Does anyone know what was the aim/purpose of the webinar? Who were the target audience?

• Like 3

Well, the description I received, below, indicated to me it was basically a fluffy sales pitch, hosted by a travel consortium, with some Regent folks appearing.  I was a little surprised that no C-level Regent people even popped in to say hello, though.  

I do think they really skimmed over health & safety, without even saying go to our website for more details, and minimal discussion what to expect when Regent starts sailing again - vis a vis change due to safety protocols.  I think the chef mentioned that the food and presentation would not change but maybe the way it gets to the passenger would.  It wasn't captioned and I had a little difficulty with his accent.

I bet most of the advance questions they got pertained to what you, @Flossie, described since they said they were slightly amending the agenda to talk about health & safety first - that was in the first few minutes.  Oh, there was a cocktail making demo, and a 'buy now, get SBC' bla bla offer.  And, how they developed Splendor's tag line of 'luxury perfected'. 

But, in all honesty, the webinar was pretty much as advertised - probably just not meeting the hunger for real news many existing and potential customers have.

"Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired by the opportunity for future adventures, highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries, the inclusive value they deliver, and why now is a great time to book a Regent cruise.

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel both onboard and shoreside. They will cover what to expect when Regent starts cruising again, what's new for 2021, special itineraries you don't want to miss, personal impressions of Regent's newest ship, Seven Seas Splendor™ and what sets Regent's fleet and experience apart.

The event's special guest will be Chef, Bernhard Klotz, who will give us a behind the scenes look at Regent Seven Seas Cruises' exceptional culinary experiences, and how the line is evolving in harmony with our current times."

A special, Exclusive Offer just for guests who attend this event will also be announced!

Edited by greykitty

2 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

‘‘Twas not what I expected. Seminars today by all cruise lines should be what we should anticipate to happen. Not doctors, not cruise pitches. Period. 

Sheila, I agree with you, however, the description of the webinar did say that the guest was the Executive Chef (the protocol section was an "add-on" - as described at the beginning of the webinar).  They presented what they said that they would present.  Very disappointing to see the sales portion of the webinar

I did learn a little bit.  Firstly, I thought that CR looked beautiful (even though I usually prefer the darker look - the gold and white was stunning).  It was good to hear that there will be some menu additions/changes to both PR and Chartreuse.  I love PR but their desserts left much to be desired.  We all knew about the 19 special new cocktails on Splendor in the Meridien Lounge but I did not know that drinks there will be made with fresh ingredients - that makes us happy!

I have seen three webinars - the first was interactive so they were able to get response from viewers in real time.  The second was put on by the same company - the guest was the CEO of Carnival and even though they tried to discuss other cruise lines, it was Carnival focused.  Like you, I agree that cruise pitches, doctors, etc. should not be part of a webinar (we have experts on television daily).  

Although the cruise lines know little about the resumption of cruising, I'm wondering if a webinar is the right medium for cruise lines to discuss what will be happening in the future.  It seems that Press Releases (available to everyone and does not require registration) is a better way.  What do you think?  

Jackie

P.S.  flossie - what you are describing is a Town Hall Meeting that you likely have attended on a Regent ship.  This enables us to ask questions and interact with the speaker(s) in person.  You asked about the purpose of the webinar.  When we heard about it from the Signatures Consortium (that our TA is part of), it was supposed to be about food (as presented by the V.P. of Food and Beverage).  As I mentioned above, the portion about protocols was an add-on and Regent likely doesn't have any more information now than when they posted protocols on their website.  So, they presented what they said that they would prevent but it was not what most of us wanted to hear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greykitty said:

Join us for an exclusive virtual experience on Regent Seven Seas Cruises® and be inspired

I wasn't

highlighting Regent's inspiring destinations including new itineraries

What new itineraries?

Regent executives will discuss their new Health & Safety Protocol and Healthy Sail Panel

I saw/heard a bland description.

As I said before, IMO a missed opportunity

• Like 6

They actually did not highlight new itineraries but rather showed where each of the ships will be in 2021-first half of 2022.  It was more or less what you would see when the Cruise Consultant has a meeting onboard with less detail and done in 5 minutes instead of 30+ minutes.

Very disappointed.  I know this took a lot of hard work to put together but for the most part it was

a giant sells pitch. What happened to the question & answer part? They asked us to have questions 

when we signed up. the Chef was the best part, but when he was showing us what he was making was

to far away. 

Oh and what about the exciting news for you by signing up?  Contact your Signature TA for information.

I would like to know, but don't want to contact my TA with hundreds other clients just to find out what it is.

Kind of hoping our TA sends out a email telling us.

Why could they have not just told us on the Webinar?

I have heard about this but know how to do it.

We have starting using our cruise credit to book private transportation when we disembark, but

you are also suppose to be able to do this when you embark.

We always need to fly in the day before boarding and this would be fantastic to be able to be picked

up at the hotel and taken to the ship instead of using a Taxi, Uber or hotel van. 

• Like 1

Very disappointed.  I know this took a lot of hard work to put together but for the most part it was

a giant sells pitch. What happened to the question & answer part? They asked us to have questions 

when we signed up. the Chef was the best part, but when he was showing us what he was making was

to far away. 

Oh and what about the exciting news for you by signing up?  Contact your Signature TA for information.

I would like to know, but don't want to contact my TA with hundreds other clients just to find out what it is.

Kind of hoping our TA sends out a email telling us.

Why could they have not just told us on the Webinar?

I have heard about this but know how to do it.

We have starting using our cruise credit to book private transportation when we disembark, but

you are also suppose to be able to do this when you embark.

We always need to fly in the day before boarding and this would be fantastic to be able to be picked

up at the hotel and taken to the ship instead of using a Taxi, Uber or hotel van. 

Our TA was kind enough to send out to  clients about the special deal.

You had to sign up for the Webinar, and your TA had to be a Signature Travel member

Since they were the ones, and not Regent, putting on the webinar. 

Edited by Jim B

On 7/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I did learn a little bit.  Firstly, I thought that CR looked beautiful (even though I usually prefer the darker look - the gold and white was stunning).  It was good to hear that there will be some menu additions/changes to both PR and Chartreuse.  I love PR but their desserts left much to be desired.  We all knew about the 19 special new cocktails on Splendor in the Meridien Lounge but I did not know that drinks there will be made with fresh ingredients - that makes us happy!I

Really, this is what’s important and what’s exciting? With so many questions about when, where and how cruising will resume, this is what Regent decided to focus on? My goodness, this was an opportunity to communicate to a group of TA’s and customers and be open and honest about the current situation, the challenges and the decision making process of when to reopen. Instead they are talking about food and drinks. Incredible. The first thing a company, a government, a friend, etc. needs to do doing a crisis is to be open and honest about the issue(s). If not, they lose trust and respect. We have many examples of this throughout our past and recent history. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Our TA was kind enough to send out to  clients about the special deal.

You had to sign up for the Webinar, and your TA had to be a Signature Travel member

Since they were the ones, and not Regent, putting on the webinar. 

You bring up a good point - one that all of us seem to have forgotten.  While it seemed like just an advertisement for Regent, it was actually an advertisement for the Signature Travel Consortium.  

I did not expect to hear anything new about the future since no one has that information - not even Regent.  Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to use the special deal.  We booked a replacement cruise for our yet to be canceled January cruise last week and am not sure if we want to book a fourth cruise for 2021.  We are not ready to book 2022.

Need to admit I forgot who was actually putting the webinar on, so I may have been a little over zealous

about the content, but still very disappointed.

Couple of months ago signed up for the April 7th 2022 Singapore to Dubai cruise, and since the requirement by Signature

is a "new booked" cruise  we are SOL and the deal they are offering.  

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Need to admit I forgot who was actually putting the webinar on, so I may have been a little over zealous

Couple of months ago signed up for the April 7th 2022 Singapore to Dubai cruise, and since the requirement by Signature

Since 2022 is so far out, can you cancel and rebook to get the “deal”?

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

I watched the webinar. What was the special offer?
sheila