Anyone experience possible charter ship double book their sailing??

We put down a deposit on Anthem of the Seas sailing next September 23 2021 for 9 nights in Northern Europe.  

Through other social media forums, We learned that this sailing has apparently become a charter sailing for a themed concert. This charter is also expected to be a 3 night heading to completely different ports. 

At what point does one learn that they will be bumped from this sailing? Why is RCL double booking same ship with different itinerary? 

the charter is selling rooms but so is RCL. Our TA says that as long as RCL puts the rooms in inventory to sell, she can sell them and they can’t see anything on the charter. 

Of course for a good laugh, called RCL direct and they claim the “charter” is only 3 nights of the 9 and won’t interfere with regular sailing guests, but again how does this make sense with 2 different itineraries?? They keep stating our sailing will happen. #facepalm

Also if the charter sails 3 nights, what happens to the remaining 6 nights of the original cruise? RCL not offering any 6 night cruise pre-sale and I can’t imagine they just don’t pick up passengers for 6 nights. 

the cruise before us became a charter as well but full week which made sense.

trying to plan a bday trip for my mother and ideally this is the preferred sailing, but how long do you hold out to see what happens?

We’ve luckily never had to deal with a charter bump in all our cruising years.... has anyone experienced this before? 

7 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

thx ya I figured- just trying to make sense of the charter being a 3 day cruise vs our 9 day and what happens with the remaining 6 nights after the charter. 

Time will tell. Generally, these charters bring in more revenue than the existing cruise. Maybe they will continue to sell the 6 night cruise?

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had it happen to us  in the past few weeks. 

We lift and shifted a Mariner B2B  from October 2020 to October 2021.  A few weeks later we learned that the first leg of our new 2021  B2B is now  part of a large full charter.  Actually we caught wind  of it from a nice CC poster so we had some advance warning.  (I think it was M8).   The charter is  about 15 months from now.   

We get a letter to move to one of 7 or 8 sailings, take a refund, or re book  to any other sailing  at current rates.  A small OBC is awarded of we can rebook or take one of the  offered  sailings.    We could not  match up any of  the offered sailing dates to our existing B2B leg.  It was going to cost us $400 more to   rebook the second B2B leg and we would lose significant OBC.  Plus - if we cancelled the second leg  B2B and just took one leg, we would lose our  non refundable deposit  because we already moved it once with the  L&S.    Taking one leg was not a good option as the cruises were 4 night/3 night and we live too far from Florida   to just take a short cruise.  

All ended well, with persistence and finally the right department,   ( whatever department it was) we were able  to get it worked out.   They even looked at  our cruise history and saw that in the past few years, all our short  and many 7 night cruises  were B2B or B2B2B. 

I hope it works out for you

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

We put down a deposit on Anthem of the Seas sailing next September 23 2021 for 9 nights in Northern Europe.  

Through other social media forums, We learned that this sailing has apparently become a charter sailing for a themed concert. This charter is also expected to be a 3 night heading to completely different ports. 

At what point does one learn that they will be bumped from this sailing? Why is RCL double booking same ship with different itinerary? 

the charter is selling rooms but so is RCL. Our TA says that as long as RCL puts the rooms in inventory to sell, she can sell them and they can’t see anything on the charter. 

Of course for a good laugh, called RCL direct and they claim the “charter” is only 3 nights of the 9 and won’t interfere with regular sailing guests, but again how does this make sense with 2 different itineraries?? They keep stating our sailing will happen. #facepalm

Also if the charter sails 3 nights, what happens to the remaining 6 nights of the original cruise? RCL not offering any 6 night cruise pre-sale and I can’t imagine they just don’t pick up passengers for 6 nights. 

trying to plan a bday trip for my mother and ideally this is the preferred sailing, but how long do you hold out to see what happens?

We’ve luckily never had to deal with a charter bump in all our cruising years.... has anyone experienced this before? 

We are on oct 2 right after this. What themed charter group is it?  We may be able to add Another sailing before ours if it is 6 days. 

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We lift and shifted a Mariner B2B  from October 2020 to October 2021.  A few weeks later we learned that the first leg of our new 2021  B2B is now  part of a large full charter.  Actually we caught wind  of it from a nice CC poster so we had some advance warning.  (I think it was M8).   The charter is  about 15 months from now.   

We get a letter to move to one of 7 or 8 sailings, take a refund, or re book  to any other sailing  at current rates.  A small OBC is awarded of we can rebook or take one of the  offered  sailings.    We could not  match up any of  the offered sailing dates to our existing B2B leg.  It was going to cost us $400 more to   rebook the second B2B leg and we would lose significant OBC.  Plus - if we cancelled the second leg  B2B and just took one leg, we would lose our  non refundable deposit  because we already moved it once with the  L&S.    Taking one leg was not a good option as the cruises were 4 night/3 night and we live too far from Florida   to just take a short cruise.  

All ended well, with persistence and finally the right department,   ( whatever department it was) we were able  to get it worked out.   They even looked at  our cruise history and saw that in the past few years, all our short  and many 7 night cruises  were B2B or B2B2B. 

M

Glad it worked out for you. 

M8

It’s “floating festivals - Throwback Cruise”

it’s scheduled Sept 23-26 but not sure what would happen or a potential itinerary for remaining nights of  Sept 26-oct 2 As RCL is still  selling the 9 night cruise only for now.

Edited by Liverpoolfan181

21 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

We are on oct 2 right after this. What themed charter group is it?  We may be able to add Another sailing before ours if it is 6 days. 

The Charter is called High Seas Rally. It’s a biker group in support of kidney dialysis and those with kidney disease.  HSR arranges for dialysis treatments onboard. They staff with Doctors and Nurses to insure safe treatments. Dialysis patients can’t generally cruise as they can’t get too far from treatment. You can find more information on FB High Seas Rally or https://www.highseasrally.com

This is our third HSR Cruise. I believe this is the 20th year for the cruise. 

M8

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Wow- I’m glad it worked out for you! Especially with B2B- that’s a lot of planning and coordination. How long did it take from when you heard about the charter to actually receiving the letter from RCL?  Wondering at what stage they finally contact you since the charter is selling their rooms. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

it’s scheduled Sept 23-26 but not sure what would happen or a potential itinerary for remaining nights of  Sept 26-oct 2 As RCL is still  selling the 9 night cruise only for now.

17 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Thank you. I will monitor the cruise and see when it changes and possibly book. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

FF have 3 whole ship charters in 2021 which run concurrently and cover 2 weeks.

I have no idea why RCI are still selling the other cruises.  I imagine they will offer a new 6n itinerary to fill in the gap until Oct 2nd. 

Jane MacDonald Sep 12-19 7n

Stages Sep 19-23 4n

Throwback Sep 23-26 3n

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

FF have 3 whole ship charters in 2021 which run concurrently and cover 2 weeks.

I have no idea why RCI are still selling the other cruises.  I imagine they will offer a new 6n itinerary to fill in the gap until Oct 2nd. 

Jane MacDonald Sep 12-19 7n

Stages Sep 19-23 4n

Throwback Sep 23-26 3n

Hello,

There is always the possibility that something longer than a 6 nighter on 26th Sept will be planned meaning the October departures will be up in the air.

This has been the state of play for about two months now and I'm disappointed that RCI hasn't come clean.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

There is always the possibility that something longer than a 6 nighter on 26th Sept will be planned meaning the October departures will be up in the air.

This has been the state of play for about two months now and I'm disappointed that RCI hasn't come clean.

Regards,

Cublet

Only if they are trying to p*** off even more of their client base than they have already! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Only if they are trying to p*** off even more of their client base than they have already! 

Hello,

My simple view is that you should never stop doing something you're good at.

Regards,

Cublet.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LoisGriffin1 said:

I moved my deposit to the 11 night 12th September cruise. 

It appears that Jane McDonald cruises leaves on the same ship same day with a totally different itinerary (7 nights instead of 11).

The Jane MacDonald Cruise was rescheduled from Sept this year to Sept next year on June 5th. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Wow- I’m glad it worked out for you! Especially with B2B- that’s a lot of planning and coordination. How long did it take from when you heard about the charter to actually receiving the letter from RCL?  Wondering at what stage they finally contact you since the charter is selling their rooms. 

I was told about the charter a couple weeks ago.  I looked online and sure enough the charter was announced, with our ship. The cruise was still showing on Royal  Caribbean‘s website. A couple days after bookings opened through the charter company, we received our letter from Royal Caribbean.  I thought we were notified very quickly.   I couldn’t have stayed on the ship even if I want to, I would’ve had to cancel and rebook through the charter company. 

Is it full ship charter or just a large group?

m

On 7/28/2020 at 5:33 PM, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Maybe Klopp booked the ship in celebration for another great season!  🙂