Would you Cruise having to wear a mask almost all the time?

janewe

For the poster who cannot wear a mask because of shortness of breath, please consider oxygen.   A good friend of ours was hindered by lung problems to the point he considered a scooter.   Now he has been prescribed oxygen and he can now walk distances on his own.   He wears the mask over  the oxygen he gets through his nostrils.   
He is being very careful with the COVID around but feels much safer with a mask when he ventures outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problem, I'll put a pack of them in my suitcase and head out for the first ship.  As many of said, from current reviews it sounds reasonable and in many cases, we're getting used to them now.  As for the thoughts of things aren't safe if they're required, I make good choices, decide where I go, what I touch, how I eat and make sure I'm washing my hands or using sanitizer as often as practical.  Also, have a nice suite booked on the next 2 trips so we'll be comfortable on our own balcony or in our cabin if necessary.  I know it's not for everyone, but wanted to chime in with an answer to the OP

• Thanks 1

I miss cruising so much I would be willing to wear a mask in public places if everyone was required to do so. It would bother me, however, if some did not when everyone was required to do so. I assume the captain has the right and power to eject passengers from the ship at the next port if they refuse to wear a mask.  Masks should  be for sale in the shops for anyone who loses a mask or forgets to bring one. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I don't want to sound negative, but, that is quite likely to happen.

" It's my body " "I have my rights "---- etc , etc.

With that attitude the likelihood of someone getting sick might be quite high and everyone quarantined. 

The elevators are going to be a very big problem , more so than seating in bars, lounges, restaurants, pool ares, theater, etc.

We cancelled 2 cruises and are still holding one , but, I'm pretty sure it will be cancelled by the cruise line shortly.

Hard to believe this is happening . 

We are allowed max 2 people in our elevators and there is a sign reminding people to respect others who wish to be alone (or with spouse only).

Everyone wears a mask indoors, but I find the problem is social distancing. People come too close. I feel like I have become antisocial since I began to go grocery shopping, etc, but all I want is for people to keep away. That wouldn't work too well on a cruise!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, babylene said:

We are allowed max 2 people in our elevators and there is a sign reminding people to respect others who wish to be alone (or with spouse only).

Everyone wears a mask indoors, but I find the problem is social distancing. People come too close. I feel like I have become antisocial since I began to go grocery shopping, etc, but all I want is for people to keep away. That wouldn't work too well on a cruise!!!

The elevators plus the fact the " someone '' ,staff member or passenger(s) , is bound to become ill has now closed the door on us cruising probably into late 2021. Just don't want to spend all that money and be uncomfortable around other people or worse still, quarantined .  Whomever does cruise though , let's hope all goes well and we hear only good things. 

• Thanks 1

Besides the issue of people not wearing masks (which I think the cruise line could deal with), I am also concerned about the people who refuse to wear them correctly (or are so ignorant they don't know they are not wearing them correctly).  Our state has had a mask mandate indoors for ages, and most people oblige, but WAY too many don't wear them right.  In particular, many people love to wear them below their nose.  HELLO, people!!   You still breathe air in and out of your nose!  And then there are those that think a shield = a mask.  NOT!  I realize there will be the occasional person who for legitimate medical reasons cannot wear one over their nose or has to wear a shield instead, but I'd bet money that does not apply to the vast majority of people doing these things.  I think the ship would have a much harder time dealing with those morons as opposed to those simply not wearing a mask.  Ugh!  Frustrating.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I miss cruising so much I would be willing to wear a mask in public places if everyone was required to do so. It would bother me, however, if some did not when everyone was required to do so. I assume the captain has the right and power to eject passengers from the ship at the next port if they refuse to wear a mask.  Masks should  be for sale in the shops for anyone who loses a mask or forgets to bring one. 

I spoke with a manager of a store about people not wearing masks.  He said people  tell him they have a  medical condition which prevents them from wearing one.  He was told from  the corporate office not to press the issue. Not to ask any questions.     Reminds me of the "service animals" that come on board ---but don't get me started....

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, keesar said:

I spoke with a manager of a store about people not wearing masks.  He said people  tell him they have a  medical condition which prevents them from wearing one.  He was told from  the corporate office not to press the issue. Not to ask any questions.     Reminds me of the "service animals" that come on board ---but don't get me started....

This type of logic is deeply flawed; if there are rules, then they need to either be followed and there should be a consequence every single time.  It would not be fair to other passengers on a ship...in my state no mask, no enter and fines for businesses too.  makes a huge difference.  if their medical condition is that serious...just IMHO!  Trust has gone out the window with COVID!    ...and Yes, I would be happy to wear a mask!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

I work for a supermarket with the same policy. If someone walks in without a mask, we can't say anything. So much for policies to keep people safe. It's all about the dollars, and damn safety. They made a big deal of announcing the  mask policy in the paper and on TV, but left out the don't say anything part.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keesar said:

Due to my medical condition, I can not wear a mask.  However, I do wear a shield and I have not had one complaint or even an odd look from anyone.  I am most grateful to everyone's kindness in that matter.  What that does mean is that I probably not be able to fly or cruise for some time.  While I could debate people on whether the mask works or not, the argument  is moot because the decision has been made for us.  That is the way it goes.  The positive is that it has gotten a frightened and paranoid society out working and spending money.  I do hope that those who do travel have a wonderful time mask and all.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Suite Susie said:

that the few cruise lines that have started up again (Mein Schiff and Hurtigruten Cruises) have all now had positive COVID passengers and crew on board, I think it will be a long time before normal cruising returns. Both cruise lines had a lot of safety measures in place, but the virus still got on board their ships. Feeling very sad about this. Keeping everything crossed for a vaccine. 

Get your facts straight! Hurtigruten was the only cruise line which had infected passengers! In fact they suspect it was a passenger who brought it on board.

TUI found infections in crew members BEFORE they boarded for the first sailing. No passengers have been infected and no crew on board. Aida also found infected crew members and canceled the sailing - no infected passengers!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your input.  It’s almost 50/50 with “no” slightly outnumbering “yes”.

The prospect of looking out at the snow from November to April and not traveling is not appealing.   As seniors, my wife and I have limited travel years ahead of us.

On reflection, the prospect of wearing a mask from the cabin to the elevator or stairs which only takes a couple of minutes is not too daunting.  Likewise lining up at the buffet.   Once seated at tables, be it at the Ocean View, MDR, Sunset bar, they can be removed.

It would increase my comfort level if mask use was not only mandatory but there would be consequences for not wearing one.  One poster said  “they would have to leave the ship at the next Port”, good idea.  If you smoke in a plane toilet, you can be taken into custody and the fines are very substantial.  Why not something similar for flaunting the mask rule?

I think I would be more concerned with the flight.  No social distancing.  The person in the seat beside you is able to take their mask off to eat the food they took with them.  They could take forever to do that limiting the amount of time they need to wear a mask.

Perhaps it’s time, especially on shorter flights of up to say four hours that eating is not allowed.  If that became the case and severe consequences for not wearing a mask in public places, not a slap on the wrist, then I would cruise.

7 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Get your facts straight! Hurtigruten was the only cruise line which had infected passengers! In fact they suspect it was a passenger who brought it on board.

TUI found infections in crew members BEFORE they boarded for the first sailing. No passengers have been infected and no crew on board. Aida also found infected crew members and canceled the sailing - no infected passengers!

Unfortunately there are now 33 crew members infected On the Hurtigruten ship and they are trying to trace all the passengers who just disembarked to get them tested and isolated.  So watch this space on that one. Mein Schiff has 9 cases on one of their ships.  To be honest it doesn’t really matter who brought the virus on board - my point is that it has got on board these ships despite all the new safety procedures and on such a small ship this is worrying. 

• Like 1

I believe it is more than just a mask on the ship.

What about shore excursions? Masks on the buses, masks while hiking in a group up a hill, masks touring a museum? How will this work?

I concur about masks while taking an 8 hr flight while passengers take the mask off to drink or eat. 

Many hurdles ahead.

On previous cruises I organized our own private excursions.  This time we would do more walking, into Towns, to beaches although also did that before and social distance reducing the need to wear masks outside.

35 minutes ago, Suite Susie said:

Unfortunately there are now 33 crew members infected On the Hurtigruten ship and they are trying to trace all the passengers who just disembarked to get them tested and isolated.  So watch this space on that one. Mein Schiff has 9 cases on one of their ships.  To be honest it doesn’t really matter who brought the virus on board - my point is that it has got on board these ships despite all the new safety procedures and on such a small ship this is worrying. 

Again, read and get your facts straight!!! TUI had no infections on the ship!!!

Very important difference - but facts are obviously overrated 🙄

TUI cruises had crew members tested positive after they were flown to Germany BEFORE they boarded the ship prior to the first sailing. So not on board! Their screening worked.

So please don’t just mix info you pick up and start rumors.

Hurtigruten is a different thing!

And TBH even if I had been tempted to do a cruise on one of the Mein Schiff cruises, I would never have done it on a Hurtigruten ship. Even though the number of passengers was lower, so is the space! Besides different policies and procedures Mein Schiff 2 had 1000 pax on a 3000 passenger vessel. Distancing was easy and unavoidable. I have seen photos of people on the Hurtigruten ship. Not much social distancing there...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:07 PM, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

They're way ahead of you... 😁

In April this year RCL filed a new trademark with the US Patent office for it's own brand of face masks to be called “Seaface”.

9 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I work for a supermarket with the same policy. If someone walks in without a mask, we can't say anything. So much for policies to keep people safe. It's all about the dollars, and damn safety. They made a big deal of announcing the  mask policy in the paper and on TV, but left out the don't say anything part.

Where I am at many of the stores have signs,

no mask/face covering no entry

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a face covering you cannot enter the store during business hours. Call XXX-XXX-XXXX to discuss alternative accommodations.

4 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Again, read and get your facts straight!!! TUI had no infections on the ship!!!

Very important difference - but facts are obviously overrated 🙄

TUI cruises had crew members tested positive after they were flown to Germany BEFORE they boarded the ship prior to the first sailing. So not on board! Their screening worked.

So please don’t just mix info you pick up and start rumors.

Hurtigruten is a different thing!

And TBH even if I had been tempted to do a cruise on one of the Mein Schiff cruises, I would never have done it on a Hurtigruten ship. Even though the number of passengers was lower, so is the space! Besides different policies and procedures Mein Schiff 2 had 1000 pax on a 3000 passenger vessel. Distancing was easy and unavoidable. I have seen photos of people on the Hurtigruten ship. Not much social distancing there...

Considering the false negative rates of PCR tests we will see in a couple of weeks if any slipped through their screening.  Too early to tell yet. 

8 minutes ago, npcl said:

Considering the false negative rates of PCR tests we will see in a couple of weeks if any slipped through their screening.  Too early to tell yet. 

😉 By now those tests have been 1 1/2 weeks or longer ago

Edited by Miaminice

I'm happy to wear a mask and rather than look at the reasons it won't work, I think of all the reasons it will, and MOST of all, whatever it takes to get out on a ship safely and cruise I am all for.... have to think positively that at least a couple of the cruises I have booked over the next 2 years will indeed sail.....and if it means wearing a mask in common areas, or waiting for another elevator cause the one that showed up already has the max for social distancing, or not being able to board until 3PM, or not having a buffet(which would TRULY be fine with us), or limited seating everywhere, or having my temp taken many times a day.....I don't care.  As long as I can stand on my balcony with a glass of wine before dinner and after enjoy the serenity that being on the seas brings I am good.....  MUST THINK POSITIVE!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

😉 By now those tests have been 1 1/2 weeks or longer ago

Yes, but you can have someone with asymptomatic illness that slips through passes it on to others that are asymptomatic so it can take 2-3 weeks before it surfaces.  The round of tests that failed was just a couple of days before the cruise was intended to sail so not that long ago.

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

They're way ahead of you... 😁

In April this year RCL filed a new trademark with the US Patent office for it's own brand of face masks to be called “Seaface”.

That is really a cute name. I really like it. The masks had better  come in sizes for both  adults and children.

I hated the darned masks at first. But I've been wearing one out in public since March and I've adapted. It's not so bad. The washable cloth masks are more comfortable than the disposable masks. Masks will not keep us from cruising. 

• Thanks 1