Would you Cruise having to wear a mask almost all the time?

janewe

11 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I have not been in a good brawl in decades! Could  be fun and experiential, for sure... LOL

I trust that the type of individual such as described, would be very very very rare on X...

In safety and bon voyage

You know, a year ago I would have agreed with your last statement.  These days I'm not so sure.  There is so much crazy out there it is really scary.  I live in a middle to upper middle class suburb, in a town known for having the most churches in our state, on a divided boulevard where the speed limit is 25 mph..  Every day there are people racing their cars down my street like they are at the Indy 500.  I try to go close to the speed limit.  Every day I am tail-gated, often sworn at, and sometimes saluted with crude gestures involving a single finger.   When the police sit out in unmarked cars they catch at least 15-20 people per day that I notice (likely more).  The world is nuts right now.  While I think most Celebrity cruisers are a bit more refined than many, I also thought the same of people in my neighborhood.  I was wrong.  

4 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Some people just cannot be reasoned with and even more people will try to push the limits to see what they can get away with without being caught.

The more things change, the more they remain the same. This interesting story describes the situation with mask during the 1918 pandemic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You know, a year ago I would have agreed with your last statement.  These days I'm not so sure.  There is so much crazy out there it is really scary.  I live in a middle to upper middle class suburb, in a town known for having the most churches in our state, on a divided boulevard where the speed limit is 25 mph..  Every day there are people racing their cars down my street like they are at the Indy 500.  I try to go close to the speed limit.  Every day I am tail-gated, often sworn at, and sometimes saluted with crude gestures involving a single finger.   When the police sit out in unmarked cars they catch at least 15-20 people per day that I notice (likely more).  The world is nuts right now.  While I think most Celebrity cruisers are a bit more refined than many, I also thought the same of people in my neighborhood.  I was wrong.  

p - I have similar idiots on my two (2) lane no sidewalk street... many times, intentionally, I will walk in the middle of the road because the speed limit is 25 mph....

People who live on our road respect the speed limit, passer throughs do not...

These are drivers using our street to access a main highway, there are at least two (2) other ways to reach it... let them use them!

I was hit in my car once, because I chose to slow way down to 20 mph, by someone traveling 45 mph on my street. The person who hit me did not want me to call the police, of course I did as I recognized them as habitual... no way I was going to stand for that.

Good luck with that, regardless, and I know there will be a few on any sailing who need reminding where they are and the inherent rules to abide by...

bon voyage

• Like 1

Half a week back now from my first cruise in de midst of the pandemic. Wearing a mask worked pretty well- of course I did not like them at first, when we all started wearing them in April or late march- I already forgot excatly when. One get´s used to them- at least I do.

Tui Cruises had special trained securty officers on board. When we all gathered around the open decks- for the meeting of five ships of the fleet- it was really packed- thats the only time I saw security take " action"- they walked the open decks- and asked passengers not wearing masks ( not mandatory outside, if social distancing could be maintained) politley to don their mask, since social distancing could not be kept with all ( I think i must have been nearly all) 1000 or so passengers on the upper decks.

So for the time beeing, when the United States allow ships to sail again- to and fro- if you want to go on a cruise- the mask is mandatory. Either that or no cruise at all. Again as soon as sitting in a lounge, bar ( not directly at the bar- the seats there were offlimmits and corded off) or restaurant the mask could come off- as IN EVERYDAY LIFE now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Again as soon as sitting in a lounge, bar ( not directly at the bar- the seats there were offlimmits and corded off) or restaurant the mask could come off- as IN EVERYDAY LIFE now.

I'm curious as to how the virus knows you're sitting down or walking around a restaurant....?  That's one smart virus.  And why should a bar be cordoned off...if I want to sit with my Wife and have a drink together, what's the harm?  

20 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'm curious as to how the virus knows you're sitting down or walking around a restaurant....?  That's one smart virus.  And why should a bar be cordoned off...if I want to sit with my Wife and have a drink together, what's the harm?  

No, it just takes advantage of dumb people who don't bother with social distancing or wearing masks when appropriate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

You can. At a bar table six feet from the next bar table. Closing actual bar seating as it's specifically designed NOT to be social distanced is pretty standard in most of the country right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Not only does being at the bar encourage people to gather within 6 feet, it most cases it places people within 6 feet of the bartender. That is the harm.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

You can. At a bar table six feet from the next bar table. Closing actual bar seating as it's specifically designed NOT to be social distanced is pretty standard in most of the country right now.

From what I have read lately about the virus I think 6 feet in an inside environment, with people eating and talking, without some kind of screen or barrier is too close.  That standard was arrived at back when they were still thinking flu like transmission.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, npcl said:

From what I have read lately about the virus I think 6 feet in an inside environment, with people eating and talking, without some kind of screen or barrier is too close.  That standard was arrived at back when they were still thinking flu like transmission.

There is still that question. Some of it probably depends on the bar. Sports bars with shouting at the screen, you probably need a lot more than 6 feet, or a barrier. Quiet martini bar or wine bar, you may be OK, but I'd agree on the barrier as best practice. 

Some of the worst outbreaks early on were traced to choral performances. Singing propelled a lot of viral particles...

• Like 1

Tens of thousands of people die each and every year from the flu.  With all the coughing and sneezing that come from the same part of the body as the COVID, why were people back then not required to wear a mask, and now everyone is compelled to wear a mask?  Masks are just another placebo invented by the wizards of smart.    🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Tens of thousands of people die each and every year from the flu.  With all the coughing and sneezing that come from the same part of the body as the COVID, why were people back then not required to wear a mask, and now everyone is compelled to wear a mask?  Masks are just another placebo invented by the wizards of smart.    🍷

Largely because with the flu you do not have asymptomatic cases that spread the virus. With the flu the patients are most contagious for 5-7 days after onset of symptoms.  There is some data that some patients might be able to spread the flu up to 24 hours before symptoms (there is some debate on that subject).  So most flu transmission could be stopped if people would just stay home if they have symptoms.  There is also a vaccine to mitigate the impact on those most at risk.  Also with flu most transmission is contact transmission.  Droplets infect surfaces, people touch the surfaces and then infect themselves. 

With COVID-19 you have large numbers of asymptomatic cases that can spread the infection.  Data shows that people may actually be shedding the most virus before symptoms appear.  While in the early days health authorities assumed the flu transfer model, data now shows more spread by air, and less by contact. No way to tell who might be carrying the virus by observation. Thus the mask and physical distance. The mask is a mechanism to reduce air velocity and make physical distancing much more effective.  A person speaking will send out particles 9-12 feet.  With a 3 layer surgical mask that distance is reduced to 6-12 inches.

If masks are a placebo by wizards of smart.  Then mask denial is a cause by the wizards of dumb

Edited by npcl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Not buying into it.  Every week or so, the goal posts seem to change.  We've flattened the curve, so we need to open up and go about business, maintaining some social distance.   This lock down is caused by the wizards of dumb.   🍷

• Like 1

And 100’s of thousands have died in 5 months and COVID is damaging the lungs, heart, kidneys, etc. And COVID is much more infectious and there is no vaccine or ability to reduce the impact as with flu’s. 

it’s time to quit the pointless comparisons. No one cares if someone doesn’t ‘buy into it’. That’s why the governments have to make things mandatory. Just stay away from the rest of us. It’s interesting watching all the naysayers getting COVID. But sad for those they infect. 

den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Not buying into it.  Every week or so, the goal posts seem to change.  We've flattened the curve, so we need to open up and go about business, maintaining some social distance.   This lock down is caused by the wizards of dumb.   🍷

We have not flattened the curve.  Not even close.  At best we plateaued at the fairly high level and are now going higher off of that plateau.  We are not currently locked down expect for a few areas.  Instead at best we have a set of minimum restrictions involving social distance, masks, reduction of indoor dining and restrictions on large groups.  That is a minimal set (in many areas there needs to be more) until the virus level are greatly reduced.

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you seem to have "issues," just stay at home and/or wear your silly mask.  

2.8M people died last year of whatever.  So far this year, 1.6M have died, of which 150K were reported to have been  COVID.   So now we have to end our economy and everyone don a mask, for what?  Notice all of those who are telling you to shut down, close your business, and hunker down and lose your livelihood, all have great paying jobs and a steady income.

So if you feel like you must wear a mask, knock yourself out.    🍷 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

If you seem to have "issues," just stay at home and/or wear your silly mask.  

2.8M people died last year of whatever.  So far this year, 1.6M have died, of which 150K were reported to have been  COVID.   So now we have to end our economy and everyone don a mask, for what?  Notice all of those who are telling you to shut down, close your business, and hunker down and lose your livelihood, all have great paying jobs and a steady income.

So if you feel like you must wear a mask, knock yourself out.    🍷 

Following your line of logic why spend money on health care at all after all people die and the money can be used on other parts of the economy.

Fortunately you do not set the rules.  Go knock yourself out getting yourself and all of your friends infected. Though I suspect neither friends or family members would appreciate it. As a local advertisement here says concerning COVID-19  who have you accidently killed today?

We are not ending the economy most of it is running along fairly well in spite of the virus.  Some segments are more affected, but better to have some affected than all infected. Of course wearing a mask does not impact the economy at all (anything you can do without a mask you can pretty much do with a mask. far better than the total lock downs early on.

You apparently do not realize is even without rules with the high virus counts large numbers of people do stay home and the businesses still suffer.  Just ask the airlines.  

The only way to get the economy back is to get counts down as far and fast as possible and that means distancing, masks, limited gatherings sizes, limited inside activities, etc.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

OMG! If you think you flattened the curve you are holding the chart upside down!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, npcl said:

The only way to get the economy back is to get counts down as far and fast as possible and that means distancing, masks, limited gatherings sizes, limited inside activities, etc.

We've been doing that for 5 months now.  How long do you suggest we keep moving the goal posts and keep hunkering down?   The news keeps intimating we're all going to die.  I'm not buying into it.   🍷

8 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

We've been doing that for 5 months now.  How long do you suggest we keep moving the goal posts and keep hunkering down?   The news keeps intimating we're all going to die.  I'm not buying into it.   🍷

As long as is necessary.  The more people follow the rules the faster we get it under control.  As long as a substantial percentage of the population ignores them, the longer it will take. Ironic that those that want to restart the economy and thus lift all of the rules are the ones most likely to cause it to stay impacted longer. I guess you could call it the I am not buying it crowd.

Wear masks, social distance, minimize gathering size, minimize inside activities.

I volunteer doing contact tracing and most of our cases are due to people not following those fairly simple guides.  Over half is from people traveling by road from out of area then having gatherings with friends and relatives (without masks, not social distancing, etc) passing the infection on to them.  Another method of transmission that we have seen is from parties (usually teens and 20 somethings, again with no masks, no social distancing) bringing it home and infecting family members. The number of case transmissions from those following the rules very few.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, npcl said:

We have not flattened the curve.  Not even close.  At best we plateaued at the fairly high level and are now going higher off of that plateau.  We are not currently locked down expect for a few areas.  Instead at best we have a set of minimum restrictions involving social distance, masks, reduction of indoor dining and restrictions on large groups.  That is a minimal set (in many areas there needs to be more) until the virus level are greatly reduced.

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

You're arguing with a person who claimed elsewhere on CC that mask requirements are illegal.  Don't waste your time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

You're arguing with a person who claimed elsewhere on CC that mask requirements are illegal.  Don't waste your time.

Not quite.  Governors are doing it by fiat.  They are acting without legal authority.  Now, stores can require you to wear one to enter, just like "no shirt, no shoes, no service."   Show me the law that requires the wearing of masks.  Maybe you can point to where it is "encouraged."

I'll start wearing a mask when they start enforcing all the "peaceful" looters and rioters to wear them.   🍷