Celebrity needs to offer a World Cruise in 2022

kelmac

Would agree that Celebrity doesn't need to do a World Cruise, but some might find it interesting. Remember they don't really care if you or I take the cruise, but only the cabins are full. There are a number of people, especially Zeniths who stay on the ships for the Winter season. Many no longer desire to fly long distances and a world cruise that virtually eliminated long distance flying might be of interest to them. There would also be lured by the time on the ship. While I have my limits, usually about 35 days, others really enjoy months at a time. Some have even made ships their home.

A World Cruise might be interesting from the public relations and publicly it would generate. If Celebrity would offer it the biggest argument on this board might be the itiniairy with people claiming that they would prefer here to there.

Most certainly should be considered by Celebrity.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

One of great things about our World cruise on the Queen Victoria, was the ability to embark in San Francisco and disembark in NYC. (we had to switch from the Victoria to the QM2 to make the crossing, but the ships were in port together in Southampton)

87 days around the world and no long flights over the Atlantic/Pacific.  We used our Southwest points to book flights to the Bay Area and the return flights from NYC.  The cruise costs were less than $28,000 total and the only other costs were for Hotels and transport in both ports.  We also got prepaid gratuities and $750 OBC.  

Enjoy!

Kel😁

I started cruising in 2006 with my first Transatlantic in 2012. That cruise was quickly followed by two more Transatlantic cruises. I knew immediately that longer cruises with lots of sea days were my cup of tea. I have been dreaming about world cruises for several years. I'm always looking at the itineraries from different cruise lines (e.g., Crystal, Cunard, Oceania, etc.). My longest cruise to date is 16 days. Next year, depending on how things go, I am looking to book my first cruise experience on Regent Seven Seas for a B2B (total of 22 days) in the Mediterranean.

I'm not retired... I'm still working for at least another 20 years. I would do a world cruise in a heartbeat, but that pesky work situation gets in the way of many things I want to do or plan. Until then, I will continue to dream and plan.

Edited by vulcan1971
  • Like 6

Celebrity would definitely have to change their itinerary strategy. They do a lot of repeats of the same itinerary during certain seasons. Most people on a World cruise certainly wouldn't want to be repeating stops. 

We've done 32 days before, and personally I wouldn't want to be on longer. Too much rich food, too much drinking. And I do love cruising. I find around 25 days to be the sweet spot for us. 

A world cruise (or several if possible) has always been on our bucket list.

After our fur baby went to rainbow heaven last year (a very terrible experience), we decided the time was right for a world cruise.

Celebrity is our cruise line of choice but with no Celebrity World Cruises, our research ended up with a Crystal Serenity World cruise in 2022.  We considered all available 2022 World Cruises and Crystal came out on top.

If Celebrity did a World Cruise (prefer S class ship but would also do an M class ship), we would have booked with Celebrity (a no-brainer in our opinion).

Not sure if Celebrity will ever do a World Cruise but if they did, we would absolutely be on the first sailing.

Safe Travels,

Bob (and Terry)

Edited by Ravbo

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

We love cruising and our favourite cruise ever was the longest (TP) but I can’t see us wanting to be on a ship much longer than 20 days without a break...Much prefer to choose a cruise with different start and finish port and enjoy a stay in those with a cruise of 12/14 nights in the middle. 

I can’t remember the name of the poster now but a few years ago someone had a land stay in Hawaii, did the TP on Solstice, got off in Australia for a two week land tour, got back on Solstice for the New Zealand cruise and then finished with a New Zealand land tour. Always thought if you fancied a really long holiday doing a HOHO on a cruise ship would be perfect!!!

It would be nice if Celebrity added some new ports of call, however...

I agree it’s the same old itineraries every year with maybe a couple of tweaks. Would like to see cruises which visited South Africa and places in the Indian Ocean. Trying Azamara next year ( was meant to be this year but moved due to COVID) as they were offering much more interesting  ports of call. 

• Like 1

Did a WC on Holland America in 2019 (and thank goodness we didn't wait a year!!) and would LOVE to do one on Celebrity.  I'd do the whole thing, Mr Chew would probably do 30 or 40 days in the middle.

Now if I can just find my lottery ticket ... gotta win sometime, right??

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

Did a WC on Holland America in 2019 (and thank goodness we didn't wait a year!!) and would LOVE to do one on Celebrity.  I'd do the whole thing, Mr Chew would probably do 30 or 40 days in the middle.

Now if I can just find my lottery ticket ... gotta win sometime, right??

Wow, you got that right.  In 2019 we got smooth seas everywhere; we missed the fires in Australia; we did Hong Kong before the unrest; had a wonderful time in Sri Lanka before the attacks.  

We have enough in savings to do another World Cruise, but we need Celebrity to jump into that market.  MSC has a nice itinerary in 2020, but we've only cruised in their YC and the Poesia lacks that.  HAL has not listed anything yet.  Oceania is nice, but they only have their R-class ships on that run (too small, too slow and old equipment).  Princess is offering a WC on the Island Princess, which was messed up by their redesign of the ship, and we've never been big fans of everything Princess.  We love Crystal, but we can't afford it and their ships are really old.  No World cruises coming out of RCL or NCL.  Cunard is a great option, and we can even live with the whole formal thing, but their itinerary is the same one we already experienced.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

1 hour ago, kelmac said:

Wow, you got that right.  In 2019 we got smooth seas everywhere; we missed the fires in Australia; we did Hong Kong before the unrest; had a wonderful time in Sri Lanka before the attacks.  

We have enough in savings to do another World Cruise, but we need Celebrity to jump into that market.  MSC has a nice itinerary in 2020, but we've only cruised in their YC and the Poesia lacks that.  HAL has not listed anything yet.  Oceania is nice, but they only have their R-class ships on that run (too small, too slow and old equipment).  Princess is offering a WC on the Island Princess, which was messed up by their redesign of the ship, and we've never been big fans of everything Princess.  We love Crystal, but we can't afford it and their ships are really old.  No World cruises coming out of RCL or NCL.  Cunard is a great option, and we can even live with the whole formal thing, but their itinerary is the same one we already experienced.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

Viking has a world cruise beginning December 2021.  Several people posted comments on the itinerary and ship (Viking Star) -- the comments are posted in the "Virtual Explorer's Lounge" on Viking's CC page.

28 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Viking has a world cruise beginning December 2021.  Several people posted comments on the itinerary and ship (Viking Star) -- the comments are posted in the "Virtual Explorer's Lounge" on Viking's CC page.

Looks nice, but I don't have $100,000 laying around.🤑  

• Like 1

Just board any ship after the restart of cruising operations if there is no vaccine.  Wait for the likely COVID outbreak.  Then you might just get your 100 day cruise.  Just like back in March. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 3:20 AM, chemmo said:

We love cruising and our favourite cruise ever was the longest (TP) but I can’t see us wanting to be on a ship much longer than 20 days without a break...Much prefer to choose a cruise with different start and finish port and enjoy a stay in those with a cruise of 12/14 nights in the middle. 

I can’t remember the name of the poster now but a few years ago someone had a land stay in Hawaii, did the TP on Solstice, got off in Australia for a two week land tour, got back on Solstice for the New Zealand cruise and then finished with a New Zealand land tour. Always thought if you fancied a really long holiday doing a HOHO on a cruise ship would be perfect!!!

It would be nice if Celebrity added some new ports of call, however...

It's quite possible to do it on Azamara.   If $$ wasn't an object it would great to sail from the pacific coast of the US to Hawaii to the south seas, to New Zealand, to Australia, and up to Asia.  It'd be a bunch of B2B2B2B but we talked to some people on our last AZ cruise who had put together something akin to what you suggested - with a few B2B and some land time in the middle.   They had booked it and were looking forward to it last year.  Hope it went well for them.   As I recall it was going to be nearly 4 months away.  

22 hours ago, kelmac said:

MSC has a nice itinerary in 2020, but we've only cruised in their YC and the Poesia lacks that.  

Enjoy!

Kel😁

Oops!  My mistake -- It should read 2022 for the World Cruise on the Poesia.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Just board any ship after the restart of cruising operations if there is no vaccine.  Wait for the likely COVID outbreak.  Then you might just get your 100 day cruise.  Just like back in March. 

Well aren’t we the grim reaper today 😛

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, vulcan1971 said:

I started cruising in 2006 with my first Transatlantic in 2012. That cruise was quickly followed by two more Transatlantic cruises. I knew immediately that longer cruises with lots of sea days were my cup of tea. I have been dreaming about world cruises for several years. I'm always looking at the itineraries from different cruise lines (e.g., Crystal, Cunard, Oceania, etc.). My longest cruise to date is 16 days. Next year, depending on how things go, I am looking to book my first cruise experience on Regent Seven Seas for a B2B (total of 22 days) in the Mediterranean.

I'm not retired... I'm still working for at least another 20 years. I would do a world cruise in a heartbeat, but that pesky work situation gets in the way of many things I want to do or plan. Until then, I will continue to dream and plan.

I agree! I wouldn’t mind taking all of my vacation at once and do a three or four week cruise or travel marathon. 

After covid, home is boring!!!

On 7/30/2020 at 11:02 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Trying Azamara next year ( was meant to be this year but moved due to COVID) as they were offering much more interesting  ports of call. 

We did a TA on Azamara Quest 09/09/16 and we had 8 ports of call, 4 each side of the pond.

Amazing experience.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:53 AM, kelmac said:

Looks nice, but I don't have $100,000 laying around.🤑  

A couple more years like this one with no holidays, no browsing shopping....you may be able to afford it! 

• Haha 1

It would really not be a bad idea that X and or RCL will dedicate one or two ships each year during European / US winter for a world cruise, which is a niche market and if done right with unique itinararies could be high yielding business for the cruise line.  One option would be to book the whole itinarary and the other one would be to split the cruise up into various seperate itinararies that could be booked with duration of let's say 14- 21 days for instance. Like this there shouldn't be a issue to fill the ship at higher yielding fares.

12 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I agree! I wouldn’t mind taking all of my vacation at once and do a three or four week cruise or travel marathon. 

After covid, home is boring!!!

@pumpkin 11 - In some past years I have taken 4 weeks of vacation. One of those years, I started my trip with a week in Italy, followed by a 16 day transatlantic cruise (Rome --> Ft. Lauderdale), then another week where I drove to a B&B in Key West, FL. That took me to just before Thanksgiving where my family gathered in Georgia for our gathering on the family farm.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:42 AM, TeeRick said:

Uncharacteristically pessimistic today TeeRick. I think we have to keep an eye on what is happening on the few cruises that are running now and hope for the best.

Back to the subject at hand...Celebrity world cruise. I don't know that this is the market Celebrity is looking for. They have  already shifted their focus towards a younger demographic (maybe to the extent of starting to alienate their existing loyal customers) and that age group probably are still working and subject to the whole school vacation time off work routine. I would say that world cruises are for those who don't have to worry about getting back for work and have a comfortable amount of disposable income to spend on cruising. It is possible to put together quite a nice pacific voyage combining repositioning and a few land stops, it would be a couple of months at least. 

• Like 1