Interesting Start by MSC

marcoigna

46 minutes ago, Preziosa said:

It looks fantastic, I m going as soon as possible in september. Can t wait to Be back on an MSC ship. Good to Be an European.....

Schengen Countries only so excludes the UK and Republic of Ireland.

The MSC website says "It is recommended that guests go ashore with an MSC Cruises Shore Excursion, as they will follow the same high standards of health and safety as on board."    

Hopefully, the MSC website is correct and it is just a recommendation, not a requirement to book a shore excursion to go ashore.

9 hours ago, sidari said:

Schengen Countries only so excludes the UK and Republic of Ireland.

As an aside, I don’t think we’re really regarded as European, Dave, because we’re islands and not mainland Europe 🙄 (not saying that’s why we’re excluded - just a general observation)

On topic, I’d echo what BB has said about the Hurtigruten cruise, where there was a C-19 outbreak - it does give pause for thought.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

As an aside, I don’t think we’re really regarded as European, Dave, because we’re islands and not mainland Europe 🙄 (not saying that’s why we’re excluded - just a general observation)

On topic, I’d echo what BB has said about the Hurtigruten cruise, where there was a C-19 outbreak - it does give pause for thought.

Interesting observation, I think people certainly have differing opinions on that. I consider myself as European as a French, German or any other Mainland European nation. But I don't think you're alone in your feeling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

"Based on the current regulations, all guests will be required to get MSC excursions to get ashore."

I think that means no excursion no going ashore.

Bea Hope you and DH are doing OK in this dreadful time

Liz

Hi Liz .... we're doing OK, thanks - hope all is well with you and yours

1 hour ago, JP82 said:

Interesting observation, I think people certainly have differing opinions on that. I consider myself as European as a French, German or any other Mainland European nation. But I don't think you're alone in your feeling.

I do, too, but I just get the impression that other nationalities don't, e.g  Americans tend to say they're going to Ireland/UK and not Europe when travelling to this neck of the woods.

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Bea ... Not seen any reports re Hurtigruten and C 19.

BermudaBound started a thread on the subject, Dave and also posted a link to a report in post #4 on this thread.

• Like 2

Number of crew infected rose to 33 overnight. Apparently 60 passengers will serve their 14 day quarantine in the Clarion hotel in Tromso (I haven't been able to triangulate that). Hurtigruten is working to contact the rest of the passengers.

https://www.dpa-international.com/topic/thirty-three-crew-infected-virus-hit-norwegian-cruise-ship-urn%3Anewsml%3Adpa.com%3A20090101%3A200801-99-06317

https://www.portandterminal.com/33-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-a-norway-cruise/

9 hours ago, emmas gran said:
10 hours ago, 8420PR said:

The MSC website says "It is recommended that guests go ashore with an MSC Cruises Shore Excursion, as they will follow the same high standards of health and safety as on board."    

Hopefully, the MSC website is correct and it is just a recommendation, not a requirement to book a shore excursion to go ashore.

9 hours ago, emmas gran said:

"Based on the current regulations, all guests will be required to get MSC excursions to get ashore."

I think that means no excursion no going ashore.

Bea Hope you and DH are doing OK in this dreadful time

Liz

So is it “recommended “ or is it “required “ ??

Personally I say No excursion no going ashore, it’s like a passport is a requirement to travel.

There is a post on FB that says they have bundled excursions together to reduce costs , BUT

its not something I have checked out 

16 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Personally I say No excursion no going ashore, it’s like a passport is a requirement to travel.

There is a post on FB that says they have bundled excursions together to reduce costs , BUT

its not something I have checked out 

I guess it a way to recoup some revenue!!

I did a ship’s shore excursion once and vowed never again!!   Guess we’re staying onboard! 

Take a look the document attached

GRANDIOSA Health Safety Facsheet

MSC shore excursiones " mandatory"  if you want go ashore...

In this case, I would prefer to be onboard... I hate that kind of excursions..

Mask , also required, when  the social distancing don.t be posible.

Screenshot_20200802-001631_Drive.jpg

GRANDIOSA_Health-Safety_Factsheet.pdf

3 hours ago, ganigani said:

GRANDIOSA_Health-Safety_Factsheet.pdf 1.31 MB · 0 downloads

Looks good to me.  No more restrictive than a week at Disney World last week.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:20 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I wonder if the outbreak on Hurtigruten is going to delay the opening?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/

Yeah its coming. The news media got ahold of Hurti, so its just a matter of time sadly. 

I’m so frustrated. I’m writing this from a southern caribbean island on the balcony of a great resort as we speak wishing the waves were going by below me. If we can do it here the cruise lines can do it. 

And for those like my wife that think going to a resort will make it feel like youre on a cruise Im here to tell you it DOES NOT, it just makes me miss the sea more. 

5 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

I’m so frustrated. I’m writing this from a southern caribbean island on the balcony of a great resort as we speak wishing the waves were going by below me. If we can do it here the cruise lines can do it. 

And for those like my wife that think going to a resort will make it feel like youre on a cruise Im here to tell you it DOES NOT, it just makes me miss the sea more. 

We have had 3 cruises 1 island holiday cancelled  and our next one is November 2021 , by then it will hopefully be safe. We have rebooked our island holiday booked for April 2021 but not expecting it to feel like a cruise just be nice to do a vacation

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

... and our next one is November 2021 , by then it will hopefully be safe.

What have you booked for Nov, Liz?  Our next one is not ‘til Nov 21, either, on Virtuosa (have a provisional booking, apparently, as YC cabins haven’t been released yet - moved the deposit from our cancelled Sept cruise on Preziosa).  Don’t fancy booking anything earlier than that!

Edited by Beamafar

10 hours ago, ganigani said:

GRANDIOSA_Health-Safety_Factsheet.pdf 1.31 MB · 0 downloads

That is updated information. Maskwearing for passengers was not mentioned anywhere in OPs link. With that new information I'm not interested anymore.

48 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

What have you booked for Nov, Liz?  Our next one is not ‘til Nov 21, either, on Virtuosa (have a provisional booking, apparently, as YC cabins haven’t been released yet - moved the deposit from our cancelled Sept cruise on Preziosa).  Don’t fancy booking anything earlier than that!

Hi Bea , we are doing Seashore transatlantic to Miami,  as we love sea days it will be a nice trip on a new ship

Liz

8 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Bea , we are doing Seashore transatlantic to Miami,  as we love sea days it will be a nice trip on a new ship

Liz

Same here ... we'll have 10 sea days (if you count the transit through the Suez).  Here's hoping we both get to enjoy them!  🙏