Melbourne Cup Cruise 2020 ???

Are the usual Cup cruisesΒ still going ahead this year ?

More to the point ...

Will the 2020 Cup , and or the Meeting , be held this year ? πŸ‡πŸΌπŸ‡πŸΌπŸ‡πŸΌ
Β 

ps ....as it’s 1st August today ..Happy Birthday to all horses .

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

18 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Are the usual Cup cruisesΒ still going ahead this year ?

More to the point ...

Will the 2020 Cup , and or the Meeting , be held this year ? πŸ‡πŸΌπŸ‡πŸΌπŸ‡πŸΌ
Β 

ps ....as it’s 1st August today ..Happy Birthday to all horses .

Early talk was that it could be held in Sydney. Sydney is not looking good either.

Situation is really odd. Β Horse racing has been proceeding all through the various lockdowns.

Β 

There is still plenty of news commentary about the spring carnival going ahead.
Even a story today about an international entry for the Cox Plate.Β 
Β 

Spectatorless, most likely.

Β 

Another part of the discussion is potential clash of the AFL Grand Final with the Caulfield Cup.

Β 

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Situation is really odd. Β Horse racing has been proceeding all through the various lockdowns.

Β 

There is still plenty of news commentary about the spring carnival going ahead.
Even a story today about an international entry for the Cox Plate.Β 
Β 

Spectatorless, most likely.

Β 

Another part of the discussion is potential clash of the AFL Grand Final with the Caulfield Cup.

Β 

The racing and betting industry gives plenty to the political parties. Good to see you up and about, mate. Good luck to you.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

The racing and betting industry gives plenty to the political parties. Good to see you up and about, mate. Good luck to you.

Thanks Uncle Les. Feeling far better, but one more week at the rehab clinic and then off to stay with family for a bit.

Β 

Either that or a double border runner to get to Queensland.

Β 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Thanks Uncle Les. Feeling far better, but one more week at the rehab clinic and then off to stay with family for a bit.

Β 

Either that or a double border runner to get to Queensland.

Β 

Cheers mate, i want to go to gold coast to see my brother and sister, not seen them well before my wife passed away on May 10. They were not permitted to attend funeral. But they might move the goal posts on the way.

Your brother and sister can still come to NSW, right? So you could meet up somewhere not too far from the QLD border.Β  Our neighbour's daughter lives in Brisbane and they met up with them at Cabarita Beach.

• Like 1

The Cup may go ahead but not a Cup cruise ..there will not be any ships In Australia in SeptemberΒ to go on . A β€œshipless cruiseβ€œ would not have much appeal you would think.😑

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

The Cup may go ahead but not a Cup cruise ..there will not be any ships In Australia in SeptemberΒ to go on . A β€œshipless cruiseβ€œ would not have much appeal you would think.😑

Β 

I'm sure if the government was willing to let cruises go ahead in November the cruise lines would send a few down our way.

Β 

They're not doing anything, and aren't far away so could be here quickly.

Β 

Just comes down to the usual uncertainty with our government.

I want to see about three months with no community transmission of the virus in all places the ship isΒ going to before I cruise again. This virus is too damn sneaky. I accept there could still be cases in quarantine from overseas arrivals - as long as that quarantine was properly managed and there were no breakouts or exceptions to the quarantine.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

As Melbourne is now going into at least 6 weeks of state 4 lockdown, odds are pretty slim.

Β 

And a State of Disaster declared as from 6pm today. Perhaps thatΒ could be put on our rego plates - Victoria, the Disaster State.

Β 

Hopefully our fellow citizens will follow the new rules and this outbreak can be brought under control quickly.Β 

Β 

Leigh

18 minutes ago, possum52 said:

And a State of Disaster declared as from 6pm today. Perhaps thatΒ could be put on our rego plates - Victoria, the Disaster State.

Β 

Hopefully our fellow citizens will follow the new rules and this outbreak can be brought under control quickly.Β 

Β 

Leigh

Β 

It is all a bit scary.....Β  yes we have toilet paper, soap, andΒ have been to Dan's.....

Β 

Knew it would come to something like this.....butΒ  Β Disaster.... a grim word...

Β 

what next ???Β  I wonderΒ  ???Β Β 

Β 

Almost G&T timeΒ  Β Don

Scary indeed. It sounds like too many people weren't taking it seriously. Selfish gits! Stay safe and well Melbourne folks.

Β 

Even in Sydney we're being extra-cautious. We carry masks with us all the time and use them in any situation where we think we could be at risk. Today we went to out nearest Spotlight to get some new sewing machine needles. That Spotlight is in an outlet centre and it was crazy. We stepped out of the lift from the carpark, took one look at all the people waiting their turn to enter shops, and immediately put masks on. Spotlight wasn't too crowded, thank goodness, then we did a quick stop in Coles and got out of there as fast as we could.

Β 

All of the people hanging around the outlet centre would have been in the 20's and 30's. There were very few older folk.

15 hours ago, By The Bay said:

We "Oldies" don't hang around shopping centres. 😷

Speak for yourself! If there are some good sales on I used to be quite happy browsing through a shopping centre for a couple of hours.

Β 

In fact when we went to that outlet centre about ten days earlier, onΒ a week day when it wasn't crowded, we had coffee at a cafe, bought the fabric etc for our masks, browsed a few shops, and I scored a fantastic bargain on a beautiful designer label leather wallet at 70% off. However we were very careful, observed the appropriate social distancing at all times, and used sanitiser often (we carry some with us always). And had the outlet centre been as busy as it was yesterday we would have left immediately after buying the mask materials.

I heard a rumour that the AFL Grand FInal is going to be played at Eden Park in Auckland as its the only stadium on the planet free of COVID 19 and can house 60,000 paying spectators. Noone will understand how the game is played though

Β 

Β 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I miss browsing, but am saving a lot of money. Β 

Β 

Not a browser at all, have my list written or in my mind, but must say, with less 'non-essential' shopping, almost zero dining out and visits to pub & clubs & no cruising we are sure saving lots of money. I think I've only put fuel in my car 3 times since Easter!!

Β 

We had planned to sell our house this year, downsizing, as just the bride and me now. But with all the doubts in the world, and not being able to find something 'better', we have decided to stay put and have started doing improvements. Thus far, a lot of decluttering (donating lots of toys and clothes etc), some repairs around the place and some new lighting & ceiling fans. Next is painting, new floors & then I guess new furniture to match.

Β 

Mmmmm, so maybe all that money saved will be spent. But we will have what we want & I'm sure we'll be happy.

Β 

Stay safe all.Β 

26 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Β 

Not a browser at all, have my list written or in my mind, but must say, with less 'non-essential' shopping, almost zero dining out and visits to pub & clubs & no cruising we are sure saving lots of money. I think I've only put fuel in my car 3 times since Easter!!

Β 

We had planned to sell our house this year, downsizing, as just the bride and me now. But with all the doubts in the world, and not being able to find something 'better', we have decided to stay put and have started doing improvements. Thus far, a lot of decluttering (donating lots of toys and clothes etc), some repairs around the place and some new lighting & ceiling fans. Next is painting, new floors & then I guess new furniture to match.

Β 

Mmmmm, so maybe all that money saved will be spent. But we will have what we want & I'm sure we'll be happy.

Β 

Stay safe all.Β 

Good idea to be the beneficiary of your renovations, rather than a buyer. Β 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

We had planned to sell our house this year, downsizing, as just the bride and me now. But with all the doubts in the world, and not being able to find something 'better', we have decided to stay put and have started doing improvements.

In the news today was a further decline in house prices with more expected following forced selling by investors first, followed by home owners without a job to pay of the mortgage. We are in a bad place until a cure or vaccine arrives.πŸ˜’

21 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

In the news today was a further decline in house prices with more expected following forced selling by investors first, followed by home owners without a job to pay of the mortgage. We are in a bad place until a cure or vaccine arrives.πŸ˜’

not a good outlook , and if it comes to pass there won’t be much demand for cruising Β .πŸ€”πŸ˜³πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ›³πŸ˜³

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

not a good outlook , and if it comes to pass there won’t be much demand for cruising Β .πŸ€”πŸ˜³πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ›³πŸ˜³

I need to find another travel experience. πŸ€”