Melbourne Cup Cruise 2020 ???

20 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

I heard a rumour that the AFL Grand FInal is going to be played at Eden Park in Auckland as its the only stadium on the planet free of COVID 19 and can house 60,000 paying spectators. Noone will understand how the game is played though

That's OK - neither do the umpires.  No problem!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

I heard a rumour that the AFL Grand FInal is going to be played at Eden Park in Auckland as its the only stadium on the planet free of COVID 19 and can house 60,000 paying spectators. Noone will understand how the game is played though

I would finally get tickets for an AFL Grand Final yay!

On 8/1/2020 at 7:21 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Your brother and sister can still come to NSW, right? So you could meet up somewhere not too far from the QLD border.  Our neighbour's daughter lives in Brisbane and they met up with them at Cabarita Beach.

Good idea, but they keep moving the goal posts, I don't trust that Qld Premier or any Premier.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, dandtgeddes said:

I would finally get tickets for an AFL Grand Final yay!

Happy to travel to Christmas Island? Good venue. Enough room for spectators, officials and the prima donna players to go into quarantine.  Have the Melbourne Cup there too, Qantas has a few old 747's they can get back from the desert for the gee gees.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good idea, but they keep moving the goal posts, I don't trust that Qld Premier or any Premier.

Fair enough. The virus situation is too fluid at the moment. I'm not sure it's safe to travel anywhere until Sydney stops getting community transmission cases.

• Like 1

I Know Carnival last week cancelled there cruises up to The Cup Cruise...

As most others I don't think any cruises will happen for at least another year....

Victoria still has racing each & every day. Pakenham today & Cranbourne Tomorrow.

Horse racing & it's taxes raise so much money for state governments coffers (Towards hospitals, Schools & the industry itself). We All will be watching on TV's at home or Work...

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't criticize the actions of the Queensland Premier in closing the border to people from hot-spot areas. We have had several people who have been found to be lying about where they have been and these are only the ones who became ill then had to 'fess up. How many others have there been?

I would like life to get back to some semblance of normal, but while we have idiots who refuse to obey the rules we will continue to have a spread of the disease. It is heart-breaking what has happened in Victoria, but if the idiots continue to break the quarantine, we will have a similar situation in the whole country. Not only is it putting older people at risk, but some younger people who have the disease are left with serious health problems.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

In fact, closing borders only reduces the likelihood of the virus being brought in from another state. It doesn't eliminate it as South Australia has just discovered. 

There are still people moving freely and legally between states without any requirement to quarantine or self isolate. Essential workers, transport workers, etc. 

And then there are the selfish idiots who lie and ignore the rules and, as Aus Traveller said, are only caught when they get ill and by then it could be too late for wherever region they've gone to.

Untill all states and territories get back to having no community transmissions everyone is still at risk.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

Surprised to learn that airlines don't keep contact details of their passengers.  Common sense says they should. I have to leave my contact details when I have a coffee at a cafe for 15 mins.  Qld. Government is having difficulty contacting some of the passengers who travelled on the flight from Sydney to Maroochydore with the infected security contractor, who claimed diplomatic immunity.  

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

I think all the State Premiers have done an excellent job, in these difficult times.  I admire our Queensland Premier who was under enormous political pressure to open the NSW/Qld. border against local health advice.  NT has just closed its borders again, at very short notice, against parts of SEQld. including Brisbane.  I would not be the only person who had to cancel her planned holiday to Darwin this week.  Yet I've heard no criticism of NT Administrator.

3 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

No cause Premier Daniel Andrews said: "There is no Stage Five."

Why did he mention stage 5? 🤔

"Reporters noted that the Premier’s media release mentioned stage 5 but when he was asked to explain this he said: “The reason stage five is mentioned is because there is no stage five. It doesn’t work."

47 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Why did he mention stage 5? 🤔

"Reporters noted that the Premier’s media release mentioned stage 5 but when he was asked to explain this he said: “The reason stage five is mentioned is because there is no stage five. It doesn’t work."

I think it was a throwaway comment when answering the same questions from journalists.

9 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Strange that it was included in the Premier's media release.🤔

I don’t know why it would be included in the premier’s press release. I watched the whole press conference and that is what I remember of it but perhaps I’m having a senior’s moment.

Leigh

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't criticize the actions of the Queensland Premier in closing the border to people from hot-spot areas. We have had several people who have been found to be lying about where they have been and these are only the ones who became ill then had to 'fess up. How many others have there been?

I would like life to get back to some semblance of normal, but while we have idiots who refuse to obey the rules we will continue to have a spread of the disease. It is heart-breaking what has happened in Victoria, but if the idiots continue to break the quarantine, we will have a similar situation in the whole country. Not only is it putting older people at risk, but some younger people who have the disease are left with serious health problems.

NSW and ACT banned from Qld from Saturday. Returning Queenslanders after Saturday will have to to do hotel quarantine at their expense. I bet the flights will be full to Qld this week and roads busy, all trying to get back before the quarantine. 

725 new positives just announced for Victoria, another record we don't want.

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Vic Govt could easily structure a stage 5 and 6. 

It wouldn't be easy. The next stage would be to ban everyone from leaving their homes except in dire emergency or if they are on a very short list of essential workers. How would people get food and prescriptions? Delivery only? That requires people to process and deliver those orders. No takeaway food, some people would just have to learn to cook. No public transport, essential workers would have to have their own transport.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Vic Govt could easily structure a stage 5 and 6. 

It would mean shutting down everything except the food supply line, medical including pharmacies and fuel. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It wouldn't be easy. The next stage would be to ban everyone from leaving their homes except in dire emergency or if they are on a very short list of essential workers. How would people get food and prescriptions? Delivery only? That requires people to process and deliver those orders. No takeaway food, some people would just have to learn to cook. No public transport, essential workers would have to have their own transport.

We had no takeaways during our Level 4. It was amazing how many young people suddenly learned how to cook and prepare food .....