The Best of Panama Canal

hunt182644

Doing a canal cruise in April on Holland Line. Looking at an excursion in Fuerto amador called the Best of Panama. This includes a visit to the Embera Indians, and a visit to the new locks. Has anyone done this excursion, looking for recommendations?

In full disclosure, I have not done this excursion, however I can give you a fairly good idea what is involved.  This is a pretty full day as far as excursions go, it will give you good glimpse of the surrounding area.  The visit to the Embera Indians will no doubt take place at one of the demonstration villages near Gamboa.  Please don't dismiss the fact that it is a demonstration village, it is a good depiction of the way they would live in the more remote areas of eastern Panama.  The village just will have a few more creature comforts for the visitors that are not quite as primitive... even then you won't mistake it for being a 5 star facility.  The second portion of the tour will take you to the new expansion locks of Agua Clara which is on the Atlantic side of the Isthmus.  They have visual presentations concerning the new locks and a large overlook of Gatun Lake along with a large viewing area to watch a ship transiting.  Refreshments are available at the Agua Clara Locks.  I do not have any idea in which order they will conduct the shore excursion.

Not sure of what recommendations you are looking for, I believe this would be a worthwhile tour if that is what you are asking?