One of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak

KS&JW

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Looks like they failed to properly test their crew.

The crew might have tested negative when they boarded and then positive later. It's been happening a lot. False negatives and false positives are not surprising. 

19 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Looks like they failed to properly test their crew.

Looks like they just FAILED.  And possibly took the whole cruise industry down with them. 

More bad news. This time from Tahiti and Paul Gauguin whose first cruise with foreign passengers began last week. To travel to Tahiti you need to present an (RT) PCR (the molecular) COVID test done within 72 hours prior to boarding your flight. Then 4 days after arrival there is a self-administered COVID test. Well sadly a couple from the US was found to have the virus by a ship's doctor. (Don't know yet if they were negative on the 4 day post arrival test.) The ship has arrived in Papeete today as soon as it was discovered about midway in the cruise. All passengers confined to cabins.

More later as news is released.

Edited by Petoonya

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Well sadly a couple from the US tested positive on the 4th day sample. The ship has arrived in Papeete after 4 days of cruising. All confined to cabins.

not surprised

What surprises me is they allowed Americans at this time with the state of the pandemic in the USA

Far too early to cruise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

More bad news. This time from Tahiti and Paul Gauguin whose first cruise with foreign passengers began last week. To travel to Tahiti you need to present an (RT) PCR (the molecular) COVID test done within 72 hours of boarding your flight. Then 4 days after arrival there is a self-administered COVID test. Well sadly a couple from the US tested positive on the 4th day sample. The ship has arrived in Papeete after 4 days of cruising. All confined to cabins.

More later as news is released.

This is really bad news.  I assumed if you could just get tested prior things would work out.   

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

not surprised

What surprises me is they allowed Americans at this time with the state of the pandemic in the USA

Far too early to cruise 

The original post was a Norwegian cruise filled with Norwegians. So it is not just a problem with Americans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

This is really bad news.  I assumed if you could just get tested prior things would work out.   

I don't quite understand the science. The (RT) PCR detects active cases and I thought it was about 95% accurate. I don't know what the 4 day sample is but guessing the active case was discovered maybe a day or two after that sample would have been sent to a lab in Papeete. Had about 150 passengers onboard so with 95% accuracy a few might have made it through.

Too early to draw any conclusions.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

No way to prevent, it’s all foolish to start. 8 hour flight and $10.K down the drain. My first cruise is now 2/23/22. Yep, 2022. It will take that long to approve a vaccine and most importantly distribute and inoculate. Most of 2021 is toast. Maybe fall 2021. Not winter or summer. I was contemplating a July 2021 Windstar Tahiti Cruise. Holding off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are probably right as sad as it is. 

2 hours ago, KS&JW said:

The original post was a Norwegian cruise filled with Norwegians. So it is not just a problem with Americans. 

I know it is hard to follow  some threads 🙄

but I was replying to Nancy's post about the PG where she did state  an American couple  tested positive

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I know it is hard to follow  some threads 🙄

but I was replying to Nancy's post about the PG where she did state  an American couple  tested positive

I was following the thread just fine. Thanks.

I was commenting on your post  " What surprises me is they allowed Americans at this time"  

I was pointing out that there were no Americans on the Covid filled Norwegian cruise, so it is not just an American problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

I was following the thread just fine. Thanks.

I was commenting on your post  " What surprises me is they allowed Americans at this time"  

I was pointing out that there were no Americans on the Covid filled Norwegian cruise, so it is not just an American problem. 

Covid filled cruise ..hardly 😉

I was posting about the Paul Gauguin comment from Nancy 🙄

Which apparently was  an American issue

15 hours ago, RJB said:

You are probably right as sad as it is. 

Anyone taking a chance on cruising before a vaccine might be better off  playing Russian Roulette, after these two outbreaks on the first couple of cruise companies to start up again ,

What chances of Oceania cruising again in February next year ???

To RJB re: our prior discussion about Spain.

Both France & Spain recorded 0 (as in ZERO) new Covid-19 cases today.

US reported almost 49000 new cases today alone..

Again, this is not about politics - it’s about facts. They are there whether you want to see them or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to make comparisons about Covid19 country to country is similar to trying to compare apples to oranges. Each country reports it's figures using different data, some 'doctor' their figures and so it goes on - 'spread' of the population/ethnicity of its people. One thing is for sure we cannot get on top of it until a workable vaccine is found and widely distributed.