One of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak

KS&JW

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

To RJB re: our prior discussion about Spain.

Both France & Spain recorded 0 (as in ZERO) new Covid-19 cases today.

US reported almost 49000 new cases today alone..

Again, this is not about politics - it’s about facts. They are there whether you want to see them or not.

Not sure where your information comes from ?

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-08-03/spain-reports-nearly-1000-new-daily-covid-19-cases.html

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/france-reports-3-376-new-covid-19-cases-over-three-day-period-12987670

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

To RJB re: our prior discussion about Spain.

Both France & Spain recorded 0 (as in ZERO) new Covid-19 cases today.

US reported almost 49000 new cases today alone..

Again, this is not about politics - it’s about facts. They are there whether you want to see them or not.

i don't think your figures are correct (please reference them)

OTOH maybe it's because of the advanced testing regime in the USA compared to other countries!!!!

I have to admit I was totally wrong in my post on July 8 in the other thread "when will things start up again" regarding cruising starting in French Polynesia:

There is NO chance cruisers will be allowed into French Polynesia. I seriously cant believe anyone is even considering travelling overseas at the moment or in the foreseeable future, especially from the USA which is now the epicenter of the infection in the world!

They did allow cruisers into French Polynesia from the USA!

31 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

i don't think your figures are correct (please reference them)

OTOH maybe it's because of the advanced testing regime in the USA compared to other countries!!!!

It was reported yesterday on MSNBC - do not have a link to that but look at this:

https://covid19.who.int/table

In the same table you can choose France from the drop down menu - zero just like Spain.

It's a report from WHO - reputable enough for me.

Edited by Paulchili

10 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It was reported yesterday on MSNBC - do not have a link to that but look at this:

In the same table you can choose France from the drop down menu - zero just like Spain.

i found this on google for spain for 3 august (but maybe for 2nd august) - anyway I cant believe it can go from 968 to 0 in one day

Monday, August 3, 2020

Spain reports 968 new cases, total exceeds 288,000

Spain has reported 968 new coronavirus infections in the past day, showing a slower pace of contagion than last week when the country reported more than 1,000 new cases for three days in a row.

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

i suspect they did not supply figures to WHO for that day

On 8/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, Dwight1 said:

No way to prevent, it’s all foolish to start. 8 hour flight and $10.K down the drain. My first cruise is now 2/23/22. Yep, 2022. It will take that long to approve a vaccine and most importantly distribute and inoculate. Most of 2021 is toast. Maybe fall 2021. Not winter or summer. I was contemplating a July 2021 Windstar Tahiti Cruise. Holding off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was very tempted by a June 2021 cruise with Regent, but also holding off - its simply not worth the risk.

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Looks just like fake news to me.  You can take the numbers out of the air if you want but it does not make them correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Spain and France do not report over the weekend; on Monday they report separately Saturday, Sunday, and Monday numbers.

30 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Spain and France do not report over the weekend; on Monday they report separately Saturday, Sunday, and Monday numbers.

Since I live in Spain I might know something about the numbers there are well over 2000 a day and rising !!!!

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/08/03/spain-adds-more-than-8500-covid-19-cases-over-weekend-but-data-missing-on-madrid-and-catalunya-due-to-technical-issues/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Since I live in Spain I might know something about the numbers there are well over 2000 a day and rising !!!!

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/08/03/spain-adds-more-than-8500-covid-19-cases-over-weekend-but-data-missing-on-madrid-and-catalunya-due-to-technical-issues/

I agree, the reported amount increased by about 9,000 on Monday covering the three days.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, roger b said:

Are most of the new cases in people under 60?  All the articles I read haven't mentioned the demographics of the new cases.

40 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Are most of the new cases in people under 60?  All the articles I read haven't mentioned the demographics of the new cases.

Most of the cases since the end of the lock down are being caused by the under 30's who have no concerns about spreading the virus , they are not distancing or wearing masks .

Unfortunately there is no way to control the population and so long as people continue to break the rules of keeping at least 6 ft from another person and not wearing a mask this virus will continue  these two rules are essential .

A second wave is coming in Europe and there maybe another shutdown read below as to the state of things here in Spain..

I fear there will be no cruising the whole of next year unless a vaccine is found !!!

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-03/coronavirus-cases-in-spain-jump-eightfold-since-end-of-state-of-alarm.html

Edited by roger b
Miss Spelling

24 minutes ago, roger b said:

Most of the cases since the end of the lock down are being caused by the under 30's who have no concerns about spreading the virus , they are not distancing or wearing masks .

Unfortunately there is no way to control the population and so long as people continue to break the rules of keeping at least 6 ft from another person and not wearing a mask this virus will continue  these two rules are essential .

A second wave is coming in Europe and there maybe another shutdown read below as to the state of things here in Spain..

I fear there will be no cruising the whole of next year unless a vaccine is found !!!

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-03/coronavirus-cases-in-spain-jump-eightfold-since-end-of-state-of-alarm.html

It sounds like the youths in Spain are no different than the youths in America.  Once they believe this virus is no more dangerous than influenza to them they will act accordingly.  So Spain will probably be going through what some of our warmer states are going through (such as Florida, Texas, and Arizona).  They appear to be just past the apex of the epidemic cycle and I hope they achieve some level of herd immunity. 

I'm a firm believer that cruising will come back when they find a cure or a vaccine or a prophylaxis.

The Tahitian government now announced that going forward and as of today only, in light of the PG COVID case, a third COVID test will be required. First the (RT) PCR test within 72 hours of the person's flight, then a self administered test on arrival (this one is for cruise passengers only) and another 4 days after arrival. One more layer of safety. Who knows if this will work, and there are many more details to be hammered out. But if Tahiti wants tourism it's a possibility. And then it's up to cruisers to cruise or cancel and take an FCC. (But really who wants an FCC in the midst of this mess.)

To my way of thinking if you're not willing to take a heck of a lot of risk and put up with some inconvenience you shouldn't be traveling. I know many will post "well I wouldn't do it" but it's a superfluous. Many of us wouldn't.

Edited by Petoonya

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

The Tahitian government now announced that going forward and as of today only, in light of the PG COVID case, a third COVID test will be required. First the (RT) PCR test within 72 hours of the person's flight, then a self administered test on arrival (this one is for cruise passengers only) and another 4 days after arrival. .

What is the self administered  test consist of ?

How do they know  it is recent & by the person submitting the test  to ???

Just now, LHT28 said:

What is the self administered  test consist of ?

How do they know  it is recent & by the person submitting the test  to ???

Apparently the self administered test is pre-flight is observed by medical personnel both before flight and on the ship (or land if one plans a lengthy pre-cruise visit.) Obviously the 72 hour pretest is done at a lab. Not a perfect, fool proof plan but for a country that is failing without tourism it's the best they've got. It's said the plan will evolve over time and results apparent. They will cancel cruises if it's apparent that  this is a cruise passenger only problem. 2000 self tests were administered to land passengers between when ATN starting flying 2 weeks ago. ALL land passengers were NEGATIVE! Not until the 22 year female cruise passenger tested positive was there a problem. All crew and other passengers have so far tested negative but more COVID tests planned for them.

What a mess. As many have said too early to resume cruising.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Are they sure the one is not a false positive?

No, they repeated it.

It was the one with 95% accuracy- so two tests, unlikely to be a false positive.

It's NOT "if the glove doesn't fit you must aquit" unfortunately.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Apparently the self administered test is pre-flight is observed by medical personnel both before flight and on the ship (or land if one plans a lengthy pre-cruise visit.) Obviously the 72 hour pretest is done at a lab. Not a perfect, fool proof plan but for a country that is failing without tourism it's the best they've got. It's said the plan will evolve over time and results apparent. They will cancel cruises if it's apparent that  this is a cruise passenger only problem. 2000 self tests were administered to land passengers between when ATN starting flying 2 weeks ago. ALL land passengers were NEGATIVE! Not until the 22 year female cruise passenger tested positive was there a problem. All crew and other passengers have so far tested negative but more COVID tests planned for them.

What a mess. As many have said too early to resume cruising.

Of course, the problem with cruising is that it takes only one person to test positive before the cruise is over - and if all goes well nobody else becomes positive but if not, is Diamond Princess all over.

This is especially true for crew members who are in close quarters and are exposed to many passengers.

14 hours ago, vaitape said:

What's the population of France and Spain vs the US?  

2020 estimated: France: 65 million

Spain: 47 million 

USA: 331 million

But as Jonathan Swan so cogently pointed out, it is deaths per total population that is so very discouraging for our beloved country.  

Edited by CintiPam

2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

But as Jonathan Swan so cogently pointed out, it is deaths per total population that is so very discouraging for our beloved country.  

Agreed.

If Estonia with population of 1.3 Million people did 1 M COVID tests they would have tested almost 100% of their population

If we did 3 Million tests that would be 3 times as many as Estonia but we would have tested less than 1% of our population.

Some people (not to point fingers) have trouble grasping this concept.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks just like fake news to me.  You can take the numbers out of the air if you want but it does not make them correct.

I am sure this was a genuine mistake but it really goes to show how easily fake news starts

• Like 2