Very cautious but desperate to cruise

If you are a 100% mask wearing, only go to work groceries, and appointments, and wash/sanitize your hands a million or so times a day person, what would it take for you to cruise? I am that person, but I am so desperate  to get back on a ship!   I am thinking masks and face shields in airports, and no airport restaurants. I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

Personally, I worry less about the future cruise line safety procedures than I do about people who think safety precautions are beneath them.   We all see them everyday and there is no reason for me to believe they will not show up on a ship.  

I wish someone could convince me I am wrong.

• Like 31

I really want to cruise, but things need to get a lot better before that happens.  Right now, I am even putting off land vacations until the end of October.  The only place I would really want to drive to is Florida and that's not a good idea any time soon.  I've got a cruise booked in January, after two cancelled ones, and really hope it sails. I wear masks to the store and have only been to the store, my office, and a relative's house in the past four months.

I don't want to wear a mask on a cruise, although I could handle it if it was just for boarding and the elevators.  I've got no desire to go to shows wearing a mask.  It will really make the entire cruising experience less enjoyable.  I've decided that I am not really that desperate to cruise.  I can wait it out until there is a vaccine, the virus has run its course, or there is a successful treatment.  As much as I love cruising (and I REALLY love cruising), taking a million precautions just isn't worth it to me.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I really want to cruise, but things need to get a lot better before that happens.  Right now, I am even putting off land vacations until the end of October.  The only place I would really want to drive to is Florida and that's not a good idea any time soon.  I've got a cruise booked in January, after two cancelled ones, and really hope it sails. I wear masks to the store and have only been to the store, my office, and a relative's house in the past four months.

I don't want to wear a mask on a cruise, although I could handle it if it was just for boarding and the elevators.  I've got no desire to go to shows wearing a mask.  It will really make the entire cruising experience less enjoyable.  I've decided that I am not really that desperate to cruise.  I can wait it out until there is a vaccine, the virus has run its course, or there is a successful treatment.  As much as I love cruising (and I REALLY love cruising), taking a million precautions just isn't worth it to me.

We have also cancelled 2 land vacations this year. And my Jan. cruise is the

one I have my hopes set on.

Edited by budmeister
  • Like 3

We shifted all our cruises to late 2021/early 2022.  Not because we are worried about getting the virus.  We're done for a while because:

1.  We have no interest cruising with masks, and limitations/eliminations for venues, activities, dining etc

2.  Not interested in whatever draconian protocols they will be forced to implement when positive tests happen on a ship.

If things aren't mostly back to normal for those reservations 15-18 months from now, we'll walk away from the 100.00pp deposits.  We're D+ and love to cruise, did 6 weeks on ships last winter.  But we've made alternate plans for next winter, we'll be out of the winter weather for 10 weeks and for the first time in 15 years it won't involve cruising.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Based on the results of the few ships that have tried to start sailing again, I don’t see mainstream cruise lines sailing at least from the US until there is a reliable vaccine and you prove you have had it to board.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

• Like 4

We have used our pool more then ever this summer, and if we concentrate you good, the field of corn behind our house looks like a ocean.

Last night we had a beautiful sunset just on the other side of the field too, just like you see on a cruise.

POOL.jpg

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Based on the results of the few ships that have tried to start sailing again, I don’t see mainstream cruise lines sailing at least from the US until there is a reliable vaccine and you prove you have had it to board.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

I never wanted this to be true, but this will be the case for pretty much any vacation moving forward. 

49 minutes ago, cruiserhal said:

Personally, I worry less about the future cruise line safety procedures than I do about people who think safety precautions are beneath them.   We all see them everyday and there is no reason for me to believe they will not show up on a ship.  

I wish someone could convince me I am wrong.

I don't think you are wrong.  We are of a similar mind.  There is just no way we are willing to get on a ship, knowing in advance that there very likely will be people who will flaunt any rules, no matter how simple.

We live in one of the most visited tourist sites in the US (13 million visitors in a city of 85,000).  We were doing fine in March, April and May.  Extremely low case loads. Long before masks were mandated, very high compliance even early on.  Hotels and AirBnBs not permitted to book.  No problems.

Then, in June, they opened the gates to the tourists.  And pandemic or not, they began pouring in.  Virtually all from hot spot states (FL, SC, GA, TN, TX).  And almost immediately the fighting began.  Restaurant workers berated for requiring a mask or distancing.  Hotel reception clerks screamed at for telling incoming tourists what the rules were.  The streets nose to tail with unmasked tourists.

Now masks are required by both state and county law and things have improved somewhat, but those on the front lines still say it is ugly.  And the infection rates?  Skyrocketed.

Precisely the situation I see occurring on cruise ships until things get fully settled out.

No thanks.  Cruising simply nowhere near that important to us to put up with the agg.

• Like 8

I have been thinking about it and I would feel safer in the controlled environment of a cruise ship than at a land-based resort where guests and employees are constantly coming and going from who knows where.

That being said, right now I'm in no rush to go anywhere beyond day trips to places where I can find plenty of open space and an open restroom.

• Like 1

Seeing all of the mask no mask controversy in this country I am in no rush to leave New York state. I never thought I would say that, let alone put it in writing.  I am not willing to lock horns with any none mask wearing freedom cryers on vacation.   Fortunately I live on an Island with beaches and for the first time I can say that I am actually enjoying my surroundings with less crowds. Usually I don't go to the beach until September when summer vacation is over and the students and teachers are back in school. In the past 10 years I have been to more Caribbean beaches  than the one that is a 20 minute drive from my house. I can understand those who are land locked wanting to get back to sea life as soon as possible under any condition.

• Like 11

People not wearing masks don't bother me a bit.  I put one on to grocery shop, but it doesn't bother me if others wear masks or not.  I think the big spreaders are the people who congregate very close together in masses on the streets, beaches, or at parties, whether they are wearing masks or not.  Of course, opening up after a lockdown it's obvious that cases would increase anyway.  You can slow the spread, but as long as there are people traveling from one area to another, it's going to continue to spread.

Cruising with a mask and social distancing sounds miserable to me.   I can wait.  I can barely tolerate wearing a mask to the grocery store.  As soon as I am at my car, my mask comes off.  It's much too hot and humid to wear one outside.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We have used our pool more then ever this summer, and if we concentrate you good, the field of corn behind our house looks like a ocean.

Last night we had a beautiful sunset just on the other side of the field too, just like you see on a cruise.

POOL.jpg

Looks like a Carnival whale tail beyond those trees.   🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I don't think you are wrong.  We are of a similar mind.  There is just no way we are willing to get on a ship, knowing in advance that there very likely will be people who will flaunt any rules, no matter how simple.

We live in one of the most visited tourist sites in the US (13 million visitors in a city of 85,000).  We were doing fine in March, April and May.  Extremely low case loads. Long before masks were mandated, very high compliance even early on.  Hotels and AirBnBs not permitted to book.  No problems.

Then, in June, they opened the gates to the tourists.  And pandemic or not, they began pouring in.  Virtually all from hot spot states (FL, SC, GA, TN, TX).  And almost immediately the fighting began.  Restaurant workers berated for requiring a mask or distancing.  Hotel reception clerks screamed at for telling incoming tourists what the rules were.  The streets nose to tail with unmasked tourists.

Now masks are required by both state and county law and things have improved somewhat, but those on the front lines still say it is ugly.  And the infection rates?  Skyrocketed.

Precisely the situation I see occurring on cruise ships until things get fully settled out.

No thanks.  Cruising simply nowhere near that important to us to put up with the agg.

We eat out at least once per week, usually outside, but I have yet to see anyone refuse to wear a mask.  We also spent a week in OC MD a couple of weeks ago where again, we ate out, both inside and out and never saw anyone refuse to wear a mask.  The people refusing are the exceptions to the rule.  I've said all along that proof of a vaccine will be required to cruise until there is herd immunity and I've been told I'm wrong by a couple of people.  I still believe it will be that way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pratique said:

I have been thinking about it and I would feel safer in the controlled environment of a cruise ship than at a land-based resort where guests and employees are constantly coming and going from who knows where.

That being said, right now I'm in no rush to go anywhere beyond day trips to places where I can find plenty of open space and an open restroom.

I think I would feel safer on a resort like sandals you spend more time outdoors with many outdoor eating restaurants options along with indoor restaurants, most people stay for a week and there is no hassle checking in and out like a cruise.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Virtually all from hot spot states (FL, SC, GA, TN, TX). 

Our first cases here were from NY or people who were on recent business trip to NY. This is in my county in Florida. The virus just didn’t float here. Someone brought it in. The virus is not going away. Can’t remain locked down forever. 

We wear our mask and practice social distancing. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

20 minutes ago, BND said:

We eat out at least once per week, usually outside, but I have yet to see anyone refuse to wear a mask.  We also spent a week in OC MD a couple of weeks ago where again, we ate out, both inside and out and never saw anyone refuse to wear a mask.  The people refusing are the exceptions to the rule.  

Exception or not it only takes a few. And the stories are fairly common here. 

YMMV. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Exception or not it only takes a few. And the stories are fairly common here. 

YMMV. 

Most of the stories here are what people have heard or seen on tv.  But, that doesn't change the fact, the refusal to wear masks and challenging restaurant workers is not the norm and is very rare.  Just because you hear about it or see it on tv, doesn't mean it happens a lot.  We've eaten out (inside and out) at least 15 times in the last month and everyone was either wearing a mask where required or put one on when told what the rules were.  We also have been attending church and every person has worn one for the entire service.  If you wear your mask and socially distance and someone else doesn't, they're the ones at a much higher risk, not you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

Most of the stories here are what people have heard or seen on tv.  But, that doesn't change the fact, the refusal to wear masks and challenging restaurant workers is not the norm and is very rare.  Just because you hear about it or see it on tv, doesn't mean it happens a lot.  We've eaten out (inside and out) at least 15 times in the last month and everyone was either wearing a mask where required or put one on when told what the rules were.  We also have been attending church and every person has worn one for the entire service.  If you wear your mask and socially distance and someone else doesn't, they're the ones at a much higher risk, not you.

We hear about it. From our friends on the front lines in restaurants, breweries and hotels. 

We don't watch TV. 

I will repeat. YMMV. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BND said:

Totally agree.  

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

POOL.jpg

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

Looks like a Carnival whale tail beyond those trees.   🙂

The Carnival ship pulled in right behind us, been there for weeks!

I failed to mention though we didn't even pack our bags yet . Still having lots of fun though🙂

Also the pool is a salt water pool,  but no sand on our feet which is also a good thing.

Entertainment starts at 8pm:  " Field of Dreams"

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pratique said:

The controlled cruise ship environment that has thousands of people getting off the ship to mingle with tens of thousands of other people several times during the week.

Other than maybe a college football game or Times Square on New Year's Eve I just can't come up with a worse activity as it relates to COVID avoidance than a cruise. Sigh. Gonna be a loooong time before we cruise again.

• Like 5

Just now, ThirstyCruiser said:

The controlled cruise ship environment that has thousands of people getting off the ship to mingle with tens of thousands of other people several times during the week.

I'm thinking of the cruises to nowhere or to private islands only, initially.