What if FCC can not be used?

workermom

With all the delays in the start up of cruising.....what happens if you selected the FCC option (not the Cash reimbursement) and one of you (husband or wife) becomes very ill or dies prior to being able to use the FCC?  

Nobody really knows ... when they started with the FCC it seemed quite generous - long period to use them, etc.

Now? Not so much...

The line will have to decide if it's more important to them (cash flow) to stick to the letter of the terms and risk alienating passengers (potential). Or now...

• Like 1

An even more interesting issue would be what happens to all those millions and millions of dollars of FCCs if the cruise line goes bankrupt?  The likely outcome would be that they become worthless.

Hank

I’ve been wondering about the expiry dates.  I have $2000 in FCC from the Diamond Princess cruise which is supposed to be used by Feb 2021- currently its sitting on my Jan NZ cruise.  but I can not see how cruising will be happening here by January and we can’t leave the country even if it was safe to do so.  Do you think they’ll extend the expiry dates?  My Alaska cruise FCC has an expiry date in 2022 which looks safer.

2 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

I’ve been wondering about the expiry dates.  I have $2000 in FCC from the Diamond Princess cruise which is supposed to be used by Feb 2021- currently its sitting on my Jan NZ cruise.  but I can not see how cruising will be happening here by January and we can’t leave the country even if it was safe to do so.  Do you think they’ll extend the expiry dates?  My Alaska cruise FCC has an expiry date in 2022 which looks safer.

If they do cancel your cruise, it will probably get a new end date when it is reinstated.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, workermom said:

With all the delays in the start up of cruising.....what happens if you selected the FCC option (not the Cash reimbursement) and one of you (husband or wife) becomes very ill or dies prior to being able to use the FCC?  

Arnold Donald gets a bigger bonus.

3 minutes ago, workermom said:

Sorry, back to my original question....in particular, if someone is critically ill And can no longer cruise or who has passed away, can their FCC be reimbursed to the spouse?

That is decided on a case by case basis. Contact Princess with documentation ready, if the situation arises. 

On 8/3/2020 at 7:42 AM, workermom said:

Sorry, back to my original question....in particular, if someone is critically ill And can no longer cruise or who has passed away, can their FCC be reimbursed to the spouse?

If it is a refundable FCC (and not a bonus FCC) it can be refunded a year after being issued.

• Like 2

Expiration (listed as either a book by or cruise by date) is in each person’s Captain Circle account.

FCC issued in lieu of refund is refundable; bonus FCC is not. There are time constraints.

Policy is on the Princess website.  You may wish to print out all pages, page 2 has the terms and conditions for requesting a refund of ‘retained funds FCCs’

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/pause-extension-fall-2020.pdf

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If the FCC is transferable you can possibly sell it or give it to a friend or family member who can use it.

Where does it state the expiration date?

FCCs are not transferable.

Expiration date is listed with each FCC in the MyPrincess account list of FCCs.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

FCCs are not transferable.

Expiration date is listed with each FCC in the MyPrincess account list of FCCs.

Do a work around. The person with the FCC books the cabin for 3 and one cancels. It would have to be looked after  carefully to see if the cancellation of the FCC holder would effect the booking.

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Do a work around. The person with the FCC books the cabin for 3 and one cancels. It would have to be looked after  carefully to see if the cancellation of the FCC holder would effect the booking.

I suspect the person with the FCC who books for three can only apply their FCC to their own booking, not the other two.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, caribill said:

If they do cancel your cruise, it will probably get a new end date when it is reinstated.

I am hoping for that interpretation. However, the problem could be, can Princess survive until mid 2022?

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 5:42 AM, workermom said:

On a webinar he stated that only the original value of the FCC could be refunded to the method of payment so the bonus FCC would be deleted

18 minutes ago, Ombud said:

On a webinar he stated that only the original value of the FCC could be refunded to the method of payment so the bonus FCC would be deleted

which is why we opted for double the amount paid , knowing that our original 'investment' was still refundable

April 2021

December 2021

2022 ??

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, Hlitner said:

An even more interesting issue would be what happens to all those millions and millions of dollars of FCCs if the cruise line goes bankrupt?  The likely outcome would be that they become worthless.

Hank

Maybe not. If they follow the airline model in a BK the shareholders get wiped out, the bond holder get their debt converted to new shares, and the customers remain intact.  When you think about the last group that the cruise lines would want to impact is their customers who, just like the airlines, they will need if they want to have any chance of successfully restarting. In that case FCC's and deposits would remain intact.

10 hours ago, npcl said:

Maybe not. If they follow the airline model in a BK the shareholders get wiped out, the bond holder get their debt converted to new shares, and the customers remain intact.  When you think about the last group that the cruise lines would want to impact is their customers who, just like the airlines, they will need if they want to have any chance of successfully restarting. In that case FCC's and deposits would remain intact.

Agree

On 8/6/2020 at 10:04 PM, caribill said:

I suspect the person with the FCC who books for three can only apply their FCC to their own booking, not the other two.

I went book  a cruise (online) and it automatically used the FCC to pay for the whole cabin fare for two and only showed a balance  for the port and tax fees to be paid

Edited by cruzsnooze