Mitsugirly just returned from 2 week stay in St Thomas

mitsugirly

I just returned from a 2 week land vacation in St Thomas and we had a wonderful time (not exactly as planned, but still wonderful). I usually do full length cruise reviews with hundreds and hundreds of pictures, but since this wasn't a cruise, there's really no place here to do the review. 

So, I have started a review on my website located HERE if anyone is interested in following along with our trip, goofiness, antics, anxiety and frustration and most of all love and laughter. Just beware, they are VERY long reviews. I just set up my "land" portion on the website today and hopefully it will work out as planned. I also found a way to include a spot at the bottom of each page for comments in case anyone has any questions. 

I hope you enjoy it. 

**Just know that the web page is better viewed from a computer instead of a phone. There's some wacky stuff going on when you view it from a phone. Sorry about that and I can't quite figure out why it is doing that**

• Like 3

Kim:

Glad to see that you and your family were able to go on vacation in these odd times.  Clicking over now to read about your great adventures.   I hope Kendra is part of the vacation.  She adds the spice to your reviews. 

Bruce...

So I see pics up to your FL hotel stay and that is the last page I can access...Is that all you’ve posted so far?

Looking forward to your review on Sheila’s condos as we loved staying in both of those!

[EDIT] I now see from your other thread here that it is a work in progress...

Edited by blue_water

On 8/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, my_crib_too said:

Kim:

Glad to see that you and your family were able to go on vacation in these odd times.  Clicking over now to read about your great adventures.   I hope Kendra is part of the vacation.  She adds the spice to your reviews. 

Bruce...

Yea, Kendra and family always makes for an interesting vacation. 😆

12 hours ago, blue_water said:

So I see pics up to your FL hotel stay and that is the last page I can access...Is that all you’ve posted so far?

Looking forward to your review on Sheila’s condos as we loved staying in both of those!

[EDIT] I now see from your other thread here that it is a work in progress...

Yea, working on it little by little when I get home at night. It's definitely going to be a work in progress. It's weird doing it this way. 

12 hours ago, blue_water said:

I would also recommend posting a much more abbreviated report (on your STT and Sapphire experience) in the TA St Thomas forum as well to share with other land vacationers...

Yea, I definitely will. 

I seem to be able to read only a few pages at a time, but I wanted to make a comment on Mim's. Shrimp and crab are imported frozen, not locally caught. It's too bad you didn't try one of he local fish like wahoo, mahi, or snapper. Her snapper almandine is heavenly.

Also the pool area problems at Sapphire predate Irma and Maria. There has been an ongoing disagreement between the association and the developer about several common area amenities. Maybe one of the owners will comment.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, peteandpris said:

Yeah! can't wait to start reading? How is your ankle? Will open tomorrow. Hope everyone is well. Hope business has been good. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it. 

Ankle is terrible. It didn't heal correctly and there's nothing they can do about it for a couple of years. Then, I'll have to have an ankle replacement. They said chronic swelling and pain is not going to go away at all. So, I'm stuck like this and some days it's very hard to deal with. 😞

On 8/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, O2B@Cagain said:

I seem to be able to read only a few pages at a time, but I wanted to make a comment on Mim's. Shrimp and crab are imported frozen, not locally caught. It's too bad you didn't try one of he local fish like wahoo, mahi, or snapper. Her snapper almandine is heavenly.

Also the pool area problems at Sapphire predate Irma and Maria. There has been an ongoing disagreement between the association and the developer about several common area amenities. Maybe one of the owners will comment.

I'm only posting a few pages at a time as I go along and post the review new pictures and reviews will appear. 

I'm not really a big fish person. We mainly just like lobster, shrimp, and crab legs. 

Oh, I didn't realize the issues at the pool area. I just assumed it was probably from the 2 hurricanes. We absolutely loved the pool and the area. Like I said in the review, I'm sorta glad the bar area isn't open. I bet it would have been a lot more crowded had it been open. It's such a nice area. 

The pool bar has been closed for sometime now, Beautiful Bill can give you a good history of the property as he’s been an owner there for years. We too were happy the pool bar was not in operation as it would have been too busy there. As I mentioned we loved both of these condos as well. My favorite spot was the corner of bldg D but many prefer to be closer to the busier area. I wish your review had links to each trip segment as I don’t really read all of the report or look at all of the photos, it is very detailed indeed! But I know many do enjoy that level of detail, thanks for the time you put in to share with others!

I am sorry you have to wait in pain to have your ankle corrected. Not related to your issue, a relative involved in a head-on collision had major damage to his ankle and bones, tried an ex-fix, no help, traveled across the US to see leading orthopedic surgeons (local doctor wanted to amputate!), finally located an orthopedic surgeon at Strong Memorial who performed corrective surgery. That was ever so years ago and I’m sure newer techniques and products are now available...Wish you the best with that! 

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

The pool bar has been closed for sometime now, Beautiful Bill can give you a good history of the property as he’s been an owner there for years. We too were happy the pool bar was not in operation as it would have been too busy there. As I mentioned we loved both of these condos as well. My favorite spot was the corner of bldg D but many prefer to be closer to the busier area. I wish your review had links to each trip segment as I don’t really read all of the report or look at all of the photos, it is very detailed indeed! But I know many do enjoy that level of detail, thanks for the time you put in to share with others!

I am sorry you have to wait in pain to have your ankle corrected. Not related to your issue, a relative involved in a head-on collision had major damage to his ankle and bones, tried an ex-fix, no help, traveled across the US to see leading orthopedic surgeons (local doctor wanted to amputate!), finally located an orthopedic surgeon at Strong Memorial who performed corrective surgery. That was ever so years ago and I’m sure newer techniques and products are now available...Wish you the best with that! 

I really liked Kendra's D building as well. I think if we ever return, we would pick that location as well. Of course, when we went (due to COVID) the beach wasn't really busy at all. So, that was a good thing.

I'm going to start posting the links as I do them. I also ended up putting a link at the top of each page for the different days. Some days have multiple pages and I didn't do those with a link, but I'll also post here and what is involved with each page. I was finding it hard to navigate to where I needed to be as well and having to start with the introduction page and then scroll all the way down and then click the next link to go to that page. It was a headache so hopefully this will help (not only me, but others).

So sorry to hear about your relative. I have several internal fixations and screws also fusing my tibia and fibula together, which hinders my ability to bend forward when walking and also keeps me from being able to walk down stairs normal. Going up is fine, it's just going down I can't do. I had several torn ligaments as well and I personally think with the early walking they made me do and the PT and stretching, it didn't give it time to heal and pulled apart. This is causing my tib and fib to pull apart as well and create more pain. I'm so glad your relative was able to seek help from someone else to correct their condition and not face amputation. I have consulted 2 different ortho doctors. I guess I'll have to play the waiting game. 😞 

45 minutes ago, 2PinaColadas said:

We spent a week in STT this summer at Sapphire too-- Building B.  My favorite part of this vacation was that there were no crowds.  We enjoyed Magen's Bay more than we ever have before-- it was so peaceful without people, lol.  

YES! hardly any crowds at all. It was wonderful wasn't it?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:41 PM, mitsugirly said:

I'm not really a big fish person. We mainly just like lobster, shrimp, and crab legs.

LOL. Caribbean lobster is pretty expensive, especially compared to Maine lobster. As I said, the other stuff is imported. Mim's is really for fish lovers and those who don't mind spending some $$ for Mim's famous coconut curry lobster. 😇

On 8/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, mitsugirly said:

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it. 

Ankle is terrible. It didn't heal correctly and there's nothing they can do about it for a couple of years. Then, I'll have to have an ankle replacement. They said chronic swelling and pain is not going to go away at all. So, I'm stuck like this and some days it's very hard to deal with. 😞

I really really hope this will get better and you do not have to go for a replacement. Praying for you. Did you get other opinions, rehab? options? I sincerely wish you the best. You are such a nice person and have a lovely family. You do not deserve all the pain and problems.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, Arzeena said:

Now you make me want to go with you guys so badly!😁

You'd be more than welcome. 😉  

On 8/12/2020 at 5:37 PM, Arzeena said:

I really really hope this will get better and you do not have to go for a replacement. Praying for you. Did you get other opinions, rehab? options? I sincerely wish you the best. You are such a nice person and have a lovely family. You do not deserve all the pain and problems.

I'm hoping with time (more) it will get better and continue to heal. I knew when it happened it would be a VERY long recovery. I'm not a quick healer to begin with and they said the damage was pretty bad. I did go to another ortho doctor (a great one) for a second opinion. I did PT and he suggested PT again for me. But, I haven't done that yet. It's just so expensive. 

Thanks for the links!

As an aside, we are BVI lovers and usually spend some time at Sapphire when we fly home from STT rather than EIS. I’m not a fish lover, Murphy wife enjoys the fresh fish there and here in Mexico. But I do love the Carib lobster, and one of our favorite spots on Tortola that is no longer around (Jolly Roger in West End) served a jerk prime rib/lobster combo - delish!

Your timing to visit STT was spot on - they are returning to the stay at home stage this Monday due to a spike in infections...sad to hear...

I look forward to your future travel reports, and your eventual recovery and freedom from this injury!

On 8/14/2020 at 8:59 AM, blue_water said:

Thanks for the links!

As an aside, we are BVI lovers and usually spend some time at Sapphire when we fly home from STT rather than EIS. I’m not a fish lover, Murphy wife enjoys the fresh fish there and here in Mexico. But I do love the Carib lobster, and one of our favorite spots on Tortola that is no longer around (Jolly Roger in West End) served a jerk prime rib/lobster combo - delish!

Your timing to visit STT was spot on - they are returning to the stay at home stage this Monday due to a spike in infections...sad to hear...

I look forward to your future travel reports, and your eventual recovery and freedom from this injury!

I agree, the timing couldn't have been better. Well, I guess it could have...we could have went in June when they first opened and there were no restrictions on the beach time. But, I'm happy we made it. 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, Arzeena said:

I agree Blue-water and Kim,

The timing was just right. Hubby just gave me this news on VI and my first sentence was that OMG Kim and family's timing was perfect.

Yea, I just knew it was coming soon. I'm glad we were in before it happened. Whew!