Yet Another cruise is testing positive

rimmit

Looks like Paul Gauguin first cruise with international travelers (has one cruise before with only domestic travelers) is testing positive now.

Between Hurtigruten and now Paul Gauguin having Outbreaks with smaller ships mainstream Cruises ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. 😞

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paul-gauguin-cruise-ship-covid-crisis/

This article out of the UK sums it up well.

"Cruise lines warned against 'rushing to chase revenue' after more coronavirus cases.

Cruise operators have been accused of 'ignoring the science' in their rush to start sailing again following the global shutdown caused by coronavirus.

The warning comes from former President of Windstar Cruises, John Delaney, who said hasty actions would do more harm in the long run.

Delaney, who left the cruise line in March, posted on his LinkedIn page: "While I understand the economics, it is unfortunate that a few cruise lines appear to have ignored science in an attempt to resume service too quickly.

"These are the first revenue cruises to resume and already Covid and cruise ships are back in the news in the first week.

"Everyone wants cruises to come back, but rushing things to chase revenue and ignoring the science will continue to hurt our industry and make the road to recovery more difficult."

His comments followed news over recent days of an outbreak of Covid-19 on Hurtigruten's ship, Roald Amundsen, and one case on luxury ship Paul Gauguin, currently sailing in the South Pacific.

In addition, Cruise Law News reports TUI Cruises has confirmed five crew members on Mein Schiff 1 have tested positive with Covid-19.

Thirty six crew and at least four passengers on board Roald Amundsen tested positive to the virus over the weekend. The tests were carried out after several members of crew reported feeling ill last week, although they did not show signs of the virus.

Hurtigruten had become one of the first in Europe to recommence sailings, after months of being unable to operate.

But it's now reportedly being investigated by the Norwegian authorities for violating coronavirus safety rules.

Meanwhile, luxury ship Paul Gauguin has returned to Tahiti after a positive case of Covid-19 was discovered while it sailed between Bora Bora and Rangiroa. Passengers have been told to stay in their cabins, and will all be tested for coronavirus.  The ship only resumed international sailings last week.

Italian media reports three crew members on Costa Favolosa and Costa Deliziosa have also tested positive for coronavirus. The ships are moored in port at Civitavecchia, with crew, but no customers, on board.

Costa said: "The three are in isolation and in good health."

Delaney's comments come as Crystal Cruises announced it has cancelled the remainder of its 2020 ocean, river and yacht sailings.

It said 'constantly changing variables' around international travel restrictions and uncertainty relating to Covid-19 'hinders the ability for all cruise lines to operate'.

NCL, owner of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, has cancelled worldwide cruises until 31 October; Princess Cruises has cancelled departures until mid-December.

By contrast, Greece is encouraging cruise ships,which are now being allowed to dock in Greek ports, from 1 August, including Piraeus in Athens, Rhodos, Iraklio, Volos, Corfu and Katakolo.

Major cruise lines are working towards Covid-safe sailing practices. Carnival Corp & plc recently held a Covid science summit with the World Travel and Tourism Council, while Royal Caribbean and NCL have set up the Health Sail Panel.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) currently advises against ocean cruise ship travel, but clarified its guidance in mid-July to say the advice did not apply to river cruises."

• Thanks 2

From the PG roll call.  They are being asked to disembark tomorrow and fly home. There are 5 US citizens on the cruise, 11 from France and the rest from FP.  

Partners Communication

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F56740bd7d6228c84d4c1626c6%2Fimages%2F9f2f1872-5212-4569-a9ea-d4bcb5046aa6.jpg&t=1596425256&ymreqid=a39fe01c-0d39-84bf-1c57-b90161016700&sig=jC0vt6DNuLNwt92QaI5o_A--~D

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

MAIN INFORMATION
August 2nd 2020

Coronavirus Covid-19

Following the self-test protocol, one case of Covid-19 has been detected on board the cruise ship Paul Gauguin

Since July 15, a rigorous health protocol has been put in place by the authorities as part of the resumption of commercial flights and to allow the recovery of the tourism sector, including a RT-PCR test 3 days prior to departure, mandatory self-registration on the ETIS platform and self-test 4 days after arrival in the territory.

As part of this health protocol, namely the mandatory self-test has been detected in an international visitor aboard the Paul Gauguin ship.

The cruise ship immediately reverted back to the island of Tahiti to follow up on the health of all passengers. It docked at the port of Papeete this Sunday morning at 9:00 AM, with 148 passengers and 192 crew members on board.

Tests were immediately carried out this morning on board the ship by health personnel.

In accordance with its health and sanitary regulations, the PONANT company has implemented strict isolation measures on board.

A health investigation is currently underway regarding all the contacts that the passenger concerned may have had.

The High Commissioner's Crisis Department in coordination with French Polynesia’s Health and Tourism services met this morning to take charge of this situation.

The country's authorities will communicate again on the subject as soon as the first results of these tests are known, probably this evening.

2 minutes ago, moda cruise said:

If vaccines become mandatory to cruise  This will be another blow for cruise lines  A lot of people do not trust vaccines 

I'm fine with that. They can stay home and leave the aft balconies and pool chairs for me. 

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

I give credit to these 2 lines for starting even though they have had a set back.  Until new procedures are put into affect you have no real idea how they will work and were the holes will be.  These 2 lines will learn from this and all cruise lines around the world will learn from what when wrong and right in these cases ultimately helping every line to cruise again

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Which lets face it may be a very long time......

It'll be here before you know it.  There are 250 different vaccines being developed/pursued across the world any a few already entering phase3 with great results thus far (Fauci)  I suspect certain demographic will get it 4th quarter of this year.  The largest vaccine producers can do 800-900 doses a minute on their production lines.   

Anyways, even if its mid 2021 a nice chunk of the population will have already had Rona through their system.   The virus simply won't have many places to go eventually.  Remember, CDC estimates TODAY that 25% of Florida has had it, 22% of Arizona, and 15% of Texas.   

Optimism wins and always has won.  

Never forget, the media makes money off TV ratings.  

• Like 9

less cruisers   less ships  less trust every day LESS LESS LESS AND LESS till it becomes something non recognizable  

less trust in cruise companies  in government  in doctors  in special interest  in medical org etc

13 minutes ago, moda cruise said:

less cruisers   less ships  less trust every day LESS LESS LESS AND LESS till it becomes something non recognizable  

less trust in cruise companies  in government  in doctors  in special interest  in medical org etc

Um...ok?🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's truly unbelievable that any government would push to reopen their economies too rapidly without first containing this virus. Nearly every country has experienced a surge when reopening. I get that businesses need money but at what cost? Cruise ships cannot afford anymore negative publicity. Airlines are parking planes in long term storage. They anticipate normal air travel will not return until 2024. Cruise lines need to start planning much more long term. These stupid 30-60 day delays aren't helping anyone. And taking reservations for ships destined for the scrap yard is very a deceptive practice IMHO. I do not think cruise lines should be playing games like this with their most loyal customers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, moda cruise said:

Now I'm not sure if I can trust what you are saying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

It's truly unbelievable that any government would push to reopen their economies too rapidly without first containing this virus. Nearly every country has experienced a surge when reopening. I get that businesses need money but at what cost?

And what cost if some opening is not permitted?  How do you contain this Virus?

We wear our masks and practice social distancing. 

M8

• Like 3

• What would you expect.  You make people stay home, thus increasing domestic abuse, and all the other things that drive people nuts.  Then you open a little of stores or cruise lines or whatever and now everyone is upset because there is an increase.  I am one of those people everyone dislikes.  I do not believe in masks, I think we need to let life get back to whatever normal will be.  If you do not want to take a chance on sailing, stay home.  I am in the high risk group because of age but am so tired of hearing and listening to people complain about not wanting to live until a vaccine is developed.  I had a niece die from the flu, and she got a flu vaccine.  There is no vaccine that will keep everyone safe.  Check the numbers on the swine flu and the regular flu.  Less than 1% of people have died from Covid.  Do I want people to die, no, but I am tired of having someone tell me how to live my life and what I should do.  Go ahead, give me your negative comments, tell me I am wrong in what I believe.  Won't change my mind like I won't change your mind.  I want to cruise, if you are afraid of cruising stay home in your house and let life pass you by.  My opinion only, which I am entitled to.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:
  • What would you expect.  You make people stay home, thus increasing domestic abuse, and all the other things that drive people nuts.  Then you open a little of stores or cruise lines or whatever and now everyone is upset because there is an increase.  I am one of those people everyone dislikes.  I do not believe in masks, I think we need to let life get back to whatever normal will be.  If you do not want to take a chance on sailing, stay home.  I am in the high risk group because of age but am so tired of hearing and listening to people complain about not wanting to live until a vaccine is developed.  I had a niece die from the flu, and she got a flu vaccine.  There is no vaccine that will keep everyone safe.  Check the numbers on the swine flu and the regular flu.  Less than 1% of people have died from Covid.  Do I want people to die, no, but I am tired of having someone tell me how to live my life and what I should do.  Go ahead, give me your negative comments, tell me I am wrong in what I believe.  Won't change my mind like I won't change your mind.  I want to cruise, if you are afraid of cruising stay home in your house and let life pass you by.  My opinion only, which I am entitled to.

Edited by moda cruise
wrong post

22 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I  Agree with you   You are not wrong  and not alone with your opinion 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

this is why we can't have nice things - Facepalm Picard - quickmeme

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And what cost if some opening is not permitted?  How do you contain this Virus?

We wear our masks and practice social distancing. 

M8

The faster they rush into opening, and cases follow, the less likely that any "opening" will ever be economically feasible anyway.  There are more than enough people out there who won't travel because of the total lack of control in parts of this country- probably safe to think it's near half.  

All it will take is one person who goes to Florida just fine, gets infected, and then spreads it all over the ship- and that cruise line may never recover from it.

They may have *some* revenue sailing half full.  But at some point, sailing half a ship because enough consumers don't trust you, and it will cost more money keeping going.

And ONE cruise that gets badly infected will take almost all of them down.  It happened this year with Covid, it's happened over and over again with Noro, it's happened with plane stupidity in design causing a crisis.  

Some people may be willing to risk their lives (as we see on this thread).  But IMHO, enough people are not to not make it viable to open too fast.

edit- and that totally ignores what the ports think of the risk of infection.  Of course, many have their entire lives around tourism- but what form of that would be acceptable- filling resorts for a week at a time, or seeing +10,000 new people every single day?  Let alone the ports where tourism isn't the main driver.

I see the repercussions of too fast being far worse than being careful.

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

Looks like Paul Gauguin first cruise with international travelers (has one cruise before with only domestic travelers) is testing positive now.

Between Hurtigruten and now Paul Gauguin having Outbreaks with smaller ships mainstream Cruises ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. 😞

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paul-gauguin-cruise-ship-covid-crisis/

As posted by CC Managing Editor Cruise Critic Chris on the PG board: "The line confirmed to us that the passenger was a 22-year-old asymptomatic American". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

The faster they rush into opening, and cases follow, the less likely that any "opening" will ever be economically feasible anyway.  There are more than enough people out there who won't travel because of the total lack of control in parts of this country- probably safe to think it's near half.  

All it will take is one person who goes to Florida just fine, gets infected, and then spreads it all over the ship- and that cruise line may never recover from it.

They may have *some* revenue sailing half full.  But at some point, sailing half a ship because enough consumers don't trust you, and it will cost more money keeping going.

And ONE cruise that gets badly infected will take almost all of them down.  It happened this year with Covid, it's happened over and over again with Noro, it's happened with plane stupidity in design causing a crisis.  

Some people may be willing to risk their lives (as we see on this thread).  But IMHO, enough people are not to not make it viable to open too fast.

edit- and that totally ignores what the ports think of the risk of infection.  Of course, many have their entire lives around tourism- but what form of that would be acceptable- filling resorts for a week at a time, or seeing +10,000 new people every single day?  Let alone the ports where tourism isn't the main driver.

I see the repercussions of too fast being far worse than being careful.

I wasn’t suggesting opening up cruising. I was talking about businesses here in the States. 

M8