Buying Jewelry

31 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The Rolex Store in St Thomas is legit. I had been looking for the blue face Submariner with Stainless and gold band for years. Found it in St Thomas and it saved me easily $2k. It wasn’t on display. I was looking at the Submariner’s in the display and started to walk out when the lady working the counter asked what I was looking for. I told her and she said we have one in the safe. It was history. One of the hardest to find with those specifics. I was happy. Of course you’re supposed to claim the purchase to Customs and pay tax. 

M8

I am a watch guy too.  The wife, not so much.  I have bought several in the Caribbean and saved a little money.  The first watch got on a cruise was a rose breitling navitimer.  Thought about not declaring it, but the box was 8” cubed.  No way to hide it.  So I declared and agent looked at me and said, enjoy.  I think it wasn’t worth the paperwork.  

• Like 1

I have purchased a bit of jewelry over the past 25 years, mostly in St. Thomas and St. Martin, and one ring in Cabo.  Once upon a time there were great bargains.  Today.....I would think twice and probably not buy at all.  The bargains are no longer there.

That is my humble opinion.

Idk but the cheapest place around here to buy a diamond ring is a pawn shop, even if you have to get it resized. Dont know if only new will do, just a suggestion. Still hard to know quality from any seller unless you know a lot more than me.

11 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

NO

Second NO. Mall stores are totally over priced. 

Sterling Jewelers, Inc.

Kay Jewelers is owned by Sterling Jewelers, Inc. (which is owned by Signet Corporation) which also owns the national off-mall higher-end chain store, Jared Galleria of Jewelry.Jun 29, 2020
  • Like 1

Most major cities have a "Jewelry District/Market area". We have an amazing one here in Los Angeles...So many jewelers to choose from and many that have a long history of customer service and reliability. For big ticket item's like diamond jewelry I have read about some real problems when it comes to comparing the appraisal you get from stores in the caribbean vs once back home. Agree buyer beware !

50 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I am a watch guy too.  The wife, not so much.  I have bought several in the Caribbean and saved a little money.  The first watch got on a cruise was a rose breitling navitimer.  Thought about not declaring it, but the box was 8” cubed.  No way to hide it.  So I declared and agent looked at me and said, enjoy.  I think it wasn’t worth the paperwork.  

Some of the jewelry stores will mail your box and paperwork to the states. Most everyone wears a watch or used too. The Hublot’s and RJ’s come in huge boxes/cases. When we were on Harmony, the Sales Director onboard took out boxes and mailed them back for us. He was with us while shopping. 

M8

9 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Sterling Jewelers, Inc.

Kay Jewelers is owned by Sterling Jewelers, Inc. (which is owned by Signet Corporation) which also owns the national off-mall higher-end chain store, Jared Galleria of Jewelry.Jun 29, 2020

I think you’re talking about Kay Jewelers in the States. 

Kay’s Fine Jewelry is a family owned business in the Islands. 

M8 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think you’re talking about Kay Jewelers in the States. 

Kay’s Fine Jewelry is a family owned business in the Islands. 

M8 

Don't know anything about KFJ in the Islands. Thanks for clarifying. 

Do know about KFC in the States.

LOL

I am sure we got ripped off on many purchases my wife made over many years , we did get some good deals in St Thomas at Imperial jeweler bought her engagement ring there 30 years ago and bought many thing since . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Don't know anything about KFJ in the Islands. Thanks for clarifying. 

Do know about KFC in the States.

LOL

The OP in their post asked about Jewelry stores in St Thomas. Not in the States. Kay Jewelry or official name, Kay Jewelers, is not located in the Islands. Kay’s Fine Jewelry is a family owned and and has store locations in Nassau (new store), St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, and St Kitts. 
https://info.kaysfinejewelry.com/locations

I like KFC too, Original. 

M8

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The OP in their post asked about Jewelry stores in St Thomas. Not in the States. Kay Jewelry or official name, Kay Jewelers, is not located in the Islands. Kay’s Fine Jewelry is a family owned and and has store locations in Nassau (new store), St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba, and St Kitts. 

M8

Sorry, you wrote Kay's. Many people know Every Kiss Begins With Kay's. Others assumed you meant Kay's in the States. Others talked about checking local stores. We assume he is in the States.

That's the problem with this type of communication. A lot of misinterpretation.

I like Popeyes chicken.

Hot n Spicy

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

So sorry some of us of got beyond the peripheral of the OP's question :classic_blush:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

Sorry, you wrote Kay's. Many people know Every Kiss Begins With Kay's. Others assumed you meant Kay's in the States. Others talked about checking local stores. We assume he is in the States.

That's the problem with this type of communication. A lot of misinterpretation.

I like Popeyes chicken.

Hot n Spicy

Hot & Spicy, yuck. 

I responded to the OP’s question. Kay’s was a correct response. I can’t help others didn’t understand the original question. 

M8

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Both.

Understand, but each will give a different value.

In addition, the appraiser is using their own judgement of the 4Cs, too. That can vary between appraisers.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Yeah some of those watch boxes take up a lot of room 🙂   I bought an Omega in Aruba last winter and they offered to ship the box.  The covid shutdowns affected them too but I finally got the box in June.

OP - Grand Jewelers in STT and SXM can be trusted.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Sterling Jewelers, Inc.

As stated above, Kay's Jewelers in STT is in no way affiliated with the ones in US malls.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Thanks 1