For People Who Have Annual Travel Policies

donaldsc

We had an annual travel policy that we bought from Allianz.  Because we can not travel, we contacted Allianz to see if we could get a refund on the unusable part of the policy.  We did get a refund for for the rest of the year.  If you have an annual policy, check out to see if you too can get a refund.

DON

I didn’t think about canceling my annual policy until June. When I contacted GeoBlue, they asked when I returned home from my last trip. It was mid-March. They then cancelled the policy as of the beginning of the next month (April) and refunded the remainder of the policy year. I was pleasantly surprised. 

On 8/4/2020 at 5:09 AM, phillygirl2400 said:

I didn’t think about canceling my annual policy until June. When I contacted GeoBlue, they asked when I returned home from my last trip. It was mid-March. They then cancelled the policy as of the beginning of the next month (April) and refunded the remainder of the policy year. I was pleasantly surprised. 

When I cancelled the policy, they based my refund on my cancellation date which was in July and not the date I could last use it.   You got a better deal but at least I got something back so I am not complaining.

DON

I called Allianz In March to cancel my annual which began October when all my cruises were canceled and we had a stay at home order.  CS rep told to to email their sale support department who would help me.  Never heard back and it’s now 5 months later and still no reply.

I then tried emailing the rep who kept contacting me to renew my policy that had just expired.  She explained that it could take up to three weeks because of the virus situation and being understanding to their plight, I waited. Still nothing. 

I just can’t wait for her to call me when my policy expires Oct 1. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 7:09 AM, phillygirl2400 said:

On 8/6/2020 at 2:27 AM, donaldsc said:

When I cancelled the policy, they based my refund on my cancellation date which was in July and not the date I could last use it.   You got a better deal but at least I got something back so I am not complaining.

DON

I took out my last GeoBlue Trekker policy in January. I went on a one week cruise, then I took a trip to Canada in early February.  I have not taken any other trips, nor do I intend to. I did not submit any claims. Based on @phillygirl2400's post, I contacted GeoBlue on August 4,.  They ended up refunding my premium based on the date I returned from Canada.  This amounted to a refund of 11/12ths of the annual premium.  Great service and I will buy another policy whenever I decide to start traveling again.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phillygirl2400 said:

Now trying to decide whether or not to buy another GeoBlu policy for cruises booked April 2021 - March 2022.  Do I believe that the 2021 cruises will occur? OMG, i hope so!

Remember you can buy GeoBlue Trekker at the last minute, i.e. right before the first cruise that is actually sailing. There is no waiting period to cover pre-existing conditions.  So the only real downside is you purchase a policy just before your first cruise sails, then everything shuts down again shortly after and you you can't travel for another year.  Hopefully that won't happen, and if it does, hopefully GeoBlue will offer a refund for the unused portion.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about yearly policies - if we already purchased insurance from the cruiseline for our booked cruises and then purchase an annual policy - can we collect off both?  I'm specifically thinking if coverage from the cruiseline policy isn't adequate to cover evacuation or repatriation costs.

And I'm hearing lots of positive things about Allianz.  Has anyone else used a different annual policy and had a good experience?

Thanks so much!!

54 minutes ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

I have a question about yearly policies - if we already purchased insurance from the cruiseline for our booked cruises and then purchase an annual policy - can we collect off both?  I'm specifically thinking if coverage from the cruiseline policy isn't adequate to cover evacuation or repatriation costs.

And I'm hearing lots of positive things about Allianz.  Has anyone else used a different annual policy and had a good experience?

Thanks so much!!

As you know, you can’t collect on several policies for the same thing. A secondary policy can be used for excess expenses. The problem I see is determining the order in which to file if you have several policies, counting your regular health insurance. Cruise line insurance is usually secondary to that.

If you are worried about evacuation costs, why not buy an evacuation-only policy like MedJet? You could consider an annual policy for subsequent travel instead of the cruise line policy, but I see complications if you start layering multiple policies that cover the same thing.

Edited by Babr

5 hours ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

Thanks so much!!

Hi cruisinagain1960,

Babr's right when he/she said "The problem I see is determining the order in which to file if you have several policies, counting your regular health insurance".

For certain trips, and for very specific reasons, I've recommended someone get more than one trip cancellation plan, which includes medical. We help people with claims and I don't want to scare you, but I suggest you make sure whoever you buy your travel insurance from will help you with the claim paperwork.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you!  I knew I couldn't claim an expense that was fully covered under another policy, I'm more concerned about having more evacuation coverage than what the cruiselines offer on their policies.

FWIW, we also have Global Assist through our company benefits package, which might be enough on it's own that I don't need to purchase additional evac-only insurance.  I'll have to take a look at what benefits we are offered.

43 minutes ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

Thank you!  I knew I couldn't claim an expense that was fully covered under another policy, I'm more concerned about having more evacuation coverage than what the cruiselines offer on their policies.

FWIW, we also have Global Assist through our company benefits package, which might be enough on it's own that I don't need to purchase additional evac-only insurance.  I'll have to take a look at what benefits we are offered.

If it helps you make a decision about how much coverage you need, remember that if you have to be evacuated most likely you would be stabilized/treated until you could travel safely. Then you would be returned home by commercial air, maybe with a nurse if that was necessary. Something really terrible would have to happen for you to be returned by air ambulance. 

Don’t worry about being evacuated at sea. That is a last resort measure, and it is carried out by Coast Guard or military at no cost to the patient. More likely, you’d be disembarked at the nearest port and transported by ambulance to a hospital.

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

If it helps you make a decision about how much coverage you need, remember that if you have to be evacuated most likely you would be stabilized/treated until you could travel safely. Then you would be returned home by commercial air, maybe with a nurse if that was necessary. Something really terrible would have to happen for you to be returned by air ambulance. 

Don’t worry about being evacuated at sea. That is a last resort measure, and it is carried out by Coast Guard or military at no cost to the patient. More likely, you’d be disembarked at the nearest port and transported by ambulance to a hospital.

Awesome!  Thank you so much - I think for 2021, at least, we are going to go with the cruiseline insurance we've already purchased and our Global Assist as a back up : )). We've not had a need for any medical care or anything like that as of yet, but as we grow older, it's always in the back of our minds and with COVID, that adds another layer of uncertainty.