What Criteria Will You Use to Conclude It Is Safe To Cruise Again

pappy1022

What specifically will it take for you to believe that it is safe to cruise again? 

For me, I want to see evidence that the cruise industry as a whole doesn’t have COVID outbreaks on their ships. If there are outbreaks, even if it’s not on a Regent ship, I will wait to sail. I also want to see that the ports I am scheduled to visit have COVID well controlled and I don’t have to constantly worry about being on a bus, going to a museum, etc. For me, cruising is mostly about the destination. I need to see that airlines and hotels aren’t having COVID outbreaks. We all know what works to minimize the spread of COVID but we also know that a fair amount of people don’t subscribe to those precautions. As I write this, it feels like I won’t cruise again until COVID becomes more like a common cold or something similar that is not as contagious or dangerous. I’m not sure a vaccine will make me feel it’s OK to cruise again because I know it won’t be 100% effective and I know that many people will refuse to get the vaccine.

• Like 3

I will cruise now - even if I have to wear a mask.  I spent a large part of my professional life doing statistics and know that the risk is negligible unless you are elderly and obese and in congestive heart failure, kidney failure or have diabetes.  I have used CDC data and looked at deaths for the last 20 years.  I will forgo having daily or twice daily cabin service.  I will thoroughly wash my hands anytime I leave the stateroom and maintain social distancing.  I would have no concern about catching Covid-19 or a negative outcome if I did catch.  There is a risk to everyday living and the risk of dying from Covid-19 is not significantly higher, despite all the CDC and press hysteria to the contrary.  I live in SC and personally know only 1 person that Has tested positive for Covid-19 and they had mild symptoms.  I still hope my Nov 6 Regent Explorer cruise isn’t cancelled but have just about lost all hope.

• Like 3

Tennis, I respect your perspective. I think we will get answers all over the spectrum. One question: If other cruise lines that are out there testing the waters are still experiencing COVID outbreaks (like the couple that are making news) in November would you still go on that Nov 6th cruise?

Putting aside tennis’ consideration of the risk to one’s health as negligible.... what about the impact of a passenger testing positive on your plans. PG turned the ship around 2 days after setting sail...reportedly everyone tested again (negative) and sent packing to the airport.

35 minutes ago, tennis said:

I will cruise now - even if I have to wear a mask.  I spent a large part of my professional life doing statistics and know that the risk is negligible unless you are elderly and obese and in congestive heart failure, kidney failure or have diabetes.  I have used CDC data and looked at deaths for the last 20 years.  I will forgo having daily or twice daily cabin service.  I will thoroughly wash my hands anytime I leave the stateroom and maintain social distancing.  I would have no concern about catching Covid-19 or a negative outcome if I did catch.  There is a risk to everyday living and the risk of dying from Covid-19 is not significantly higher, despite all the CDC and press hysteria to the contrary.  I live in SC and personally know only 1 person that Has tested positive for Covid-19 and they had mild symptoms.  I still hope my Nov 6 Regent Explorer cruise isn’t cancelled but have just about lost all hope.

What you state makes sense for a lot of us.  We would also have no problem wearing a mask, or doing anything that Regent required to keep everyone safe.  

In general I have no problem with people that do not want to have to wear masks and follow other protocols on the ship since this is their vacation, however, it makes me wonder if these people refuse to social distance and wear masks when around others.  It seems to be the anti-mask, anti-social distance folks that are contributing to most of the increases in the virus.

As you know, we are booked on the Nov 6 cruise and have also lost most hope.  IMO, with such a low number of passengers that are still booked that it would be a perfect sailing to test out the protocols.  We would have room to social distance without even trying.  

In terms of this topic, I follow the virologists, other doctors and the science.  IMHO, it makes no sense to follow anything else.

P.S.  Just saw sita's post.  IMHO, one cannot compare Regent, Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal with ships that are cruising currently.  There apparently will be (according to someone's post on the Regent board), a police investigation regarding the TUI ship that had cases of Covid.  They knew that there was a potential problem but sailed anyway.  We do not know what protocols are being enforced on the PG (which, BTW is under new ownership), or the other lines that are sailing.  

I have a lot of faith in NCLH and RCG.  They are working together with doctors and the CDC and it appears (from their new muster guidelines) to be doing a wonderful job at making sure that everything will be safe for the crew and guests.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sita said:

Putting aside tennis’ consideration of the risk to one’s health as negligible.... what about the impact of a passenger testing positive on your plans. PG turned the ship around 2 days after setting sail...reportedly everyone tested again (negative) and sent packing to the airport.

And what happens if it turns out to be a "false" positive?  Do Ponant and each of the cruisers have legal rights against the lab?

PG/Ponant had quite elaborate safety protocols devised - but, of course, the first ones out tend to pave the way for the rest both in what works, and what utterly fails.

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/paul-gauguin-to-resume-sailings-in-july-with-new-covid-safe-protocols/

https://en.calameo.com/read/000132423bdb3b0a1a579?authid=k4a19tLoX9rj

True enough no one knows about enforcement, especially by staff pretty much trained to try and meet  every guest's requests with a smile and a yes  - even on archival Regent forum postings I read stories of dress codes not being gently enforced, or the dreaded chair hogs round the pool with nary a word from crew....and Lord knows the CDC hasn't been overly impressed to date with any of the Big 3.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf

Whether these early debacles for the industry's restart will be a true wake-up call - well, it can be hoped.  I wouldn't think any of the cruise lines would deliberately choose to not only destroy their own reputations, but that of the industry, but that's pretty much where we might be these evening - just through humans not following 'the rules' - and I think we all see that for ourselves now, every day.

But there's often a wide chasm between protocol design and execution.  Will any of the lines be able to make the jump perfectly?  Or will human error appear again?

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

True enough no one knows about enforcement, especially by staff pretty much trained to try and meet  every guest's requests with a smile and a yes  - even on archival Regent forum postings I read stories of dress codes not being gently enforced, or the dreaded chair hogs round the pool with nary a word from crew....and Lord knows the CDC hasn't been overly impressed to date with any of the Big 3.

The dress code and chair hogs (on very few cruises) is nothing compared to a life threatening pandemic.  Sometimes on Regent, the excursions arrive back late and the passengers are permitted to dine in Sette Mari or the Pool Grill  (only) in the clothing that they wore on excursions.  Chair hogs are usually dealt with.  If there is a problem with chair hogs or the dress code, a word with the General Manager will fix it.

Enforcement of the protocols for the pandemic could be a matter of life and death.  And, unfortunately, what I want to say about the CDC can't be stated on CC.  

Again, once you have sailed on Regent, a lot of things will become much more clear.  And, prior to your first Regent cruise, hopefully you can ask questions so that we can give you tips on how to have the best experience possible on Regent.  Based our experience, Regent is not like Silversea or Crystal (although both cruise lines are very good).  Regent has a unique family feeling that I did not find on other cruise lines.

• Like 1

There are always chair hogs but there are not as many as this forum would make you think. I never have an issue getting chairs AS LONG AS YOU GET THERE REASONABLY EARLY. Agree if you can't find a seat you can ask that it be enforced - the bar staff or the rest manager will help. The dress code is a give or take thing - if you are way over the line they will speak to you but if you are borderline, they won't. With the introduction of dinner around the pool you can now wear anything you want if you eat there...a nice option if you don't want to get dressed. PS - there is no dress code anywhere on the last night of a cruise...or there wasn't the last time I asked. 

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Again, once you have sailed on Regent, a lot of things will become much more clear.  And, prior to your first Regent cruise, hopefully you can ask questions so that we can give you tips on how to have the best experience possible on Regent.  Based our experience, Regent is not like Silversea or Crystal (although both cruise lines are very good).  Regent has a unique family feeling that I did not find on other cruise lines.

I look forward to sailing on this amazing line and gaining enlightenment.  I hope they treat first time Regent cruisers with the same "unique family feeling."  The bar has been set amazingly high.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SusieQft said:
29 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I look forward to sailing on this amazing line and gaining enlightenment.  I hope they treat first time Regent cruisers with the same "unique family feeling."  The bar has been set amazingly high.

I hope you will be treated as well as we were on our first Regent cruise. If you are, then you will begin to understand us Regent “groupies”

sheila

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Oops - when you type within the reply box, it doesn’t show up when you quote.  In any case, it really depends upon the passenger in terms how they feel that they are treated.  While Regent crew members will bend over backwards for passengers - new or old - a few passengers have been very demanding and argumentative.  Sometimes this is a matter of a passenger not doing research prior to sailing.  

The crew members work very hard as we know.  Until I opened up and became open with them, I did not have the family feeling.  Those of us that interact with the crew (and I don’t mean interrupting them when are trying to work), tend to have long term relationships with them.  Dennis and I are very interested in the lives of the crew members (in my opinion, the passengers do what we do ..... cruise as much as possible while crew members work to feed their families, make many sacrifices in order to do the best that they can for their family.  One crew member calls me Mama — he is amazing and has been with Regent for a long time.  He has put two of his children through college and I could not be more proud of him.

When we visited the Philippines, I knew that many crew members were anxious to see their families (that come on board at different times of the day).  It warmed my heart to see so many passengers ask their stewardess/stewards to forget cleaning their suite and to spend time with their family.   Somehow, it was worked out with crew members that did not have families in the Philippines cleaned suites.  So my point is that it work both ways - when both the crew and guests are reasonable and kind, you will see exactly how great the crew really is. Note:  I compare this with posters that have said for years that they have no interest whatsoever to learn or speak with crew members.

There are many tips that can be learned by posting questions on CC.  in my opinion, not learning as much as possible about the Regent Experience, the experience could be a bit disappointing!

• Like 1

What criteria would I use?  Here's my first shot over the bow.  That may change as I consider this question.

Firstly, let me say that we very likely will not cruise again.  Our travel days may very well be over.  We'll see if we get to go to the U.S. next winter--we consider our Florida winters a pretty big adventure, and are grateful for this respite from winter.  I do miss the sea, more than anything else, I admit.

But we were coming to the end of our travelling days already, and now we've had our big plans for next January scuppered (world cruise), and we have nothing planned for the future, and thankfully no FCC's to worry about.

If we could travel at all, I think I'd feel safer on a land trip, frankly, although I intend to avoid air travel for quite a while.  But if we were to cruise, this whole shmozzle would have to be over.  A vaccine that actually provided good immunity.  Ports that were open to travellers. Good hygiene procedures and an understanding of the special challenges of cruise ships, like ventilation, etc. The ability to sit at a bar and talk to people.  I don't think I would want to do a cruise where we had to be physically distanced from everybody around us, eat alone, and wear a mask everywhere, although I don't have anything against masks in particular, and I wear one routinely.

I do feel personally threatened by this virus and its uh, virulence.  I worry about all the people who don't, frankly.  I hate it when I am doing all of my due diligence: hand hygiene, proper physical distancing, wearing a mask, and I see others who don't seem to care--that would really bug me on a cruise.  I do not believe that the danger of this disease has been overblown at all--we have already seen, in the States, very public people who have thought the risk was personally negligible to them, who are now dead.  Ask them what they think of covid-19 now.

We're all going to die sooner or later, but I frankly would rather it be later.  So I'm content if I never, ever cruise again.  We had a good run, and now it's over.  I'm going to get on with my life.  Over and out.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The crew members work very hard as we know.  Until I opened up and became open with them, I did not have the family feeling.  Those of us that interact with the crew (and I don’t mean interrupting them when are trying to work), tend to have long term relationships with them.  Dennis and I are very interested in the lives of the crew members (in my opinion, the passengers do what we do ..... cruise as much as possible while crew members work to feed their families, make many sacrifices in order to do the best that they can for their family.  One crew member calls me Mama — he is amazing and has been with Regent for a long time.  He has put two of his children through college and I could not be more proud of him.

Aren't those little fellows adorable? Imagine...working very hard to feed their families and put their kids through college!  Actually... they sound just like my parents and their parents before them! In fact,  they sound just like us! Isn't my family amazing too!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pappy this is a good topic, thanks.

My criteria would be for me to see Covid rates much much lower globally. If it takes 6 months, a year whatever the time scale I wouldn’t be taking unnecessary risks by cruising until I feel the world is a safer place.

We don’t know how this virus is going to react when we hit the winter flu and virus season. That can be a real dangerous period for everyone .

I appreciate everyone has their own parameters to work with re their idea of when they feel safe to cruise, but I think personally it’s a long way off before we will be making that decision.    Jean.

• Like 4

One possible advantage to being a 'newbie' - probably not comparing anything to the old 'pre-COVID' days.  I've already read complaints about the possibility of all menus being read on smart phones, etc, replacing traditional menus and taking away a little ambiance, as well as table settings being revamped to ease disinfection processes. Me - couldn't really care less if it prevents even a tiny bit of risk to the crew and to me.  Someone used to elegant tables full of chargers and crystal - might be a little disappointing, perhaps.

I mentioned wondering how easy it would be for crew who normally work very hard to accommodate guests to have to say 'no' - and used examples such as 'chair hogs' and dress code 'violators' that apparently not often confronted on any ship, perhaps until you get officers involved, per reading through years of CC comments (got to do something to deal with insomnia at times!)

I've found in life that if rule enforcement is minimal, especially if it's due to fear of upsetting guests, it doesn't change just because the rules may be life or death this time around.  Please observe all the folks who can't be bothered wearing masks into their local grocery stores, despite state mandates.  And how many national retailers choosing not to put their employees in harm's way by enforcing mask mandates.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/23/covid-19-mask-mandates-workers-feel-burden-enforcing-mask-rules/5492932002/

Some may say luxury class ship demographics and human actions are just totally different.  I think human nature doesn't change that much, no matter how much is piled up in the old bank account.

And, the point may be moot, in any event.  Assuming cruising resumes, the experience may include actions such as reserving time at pool and sun deck, as well as more emphasis on room service and timed reservations for dining to avoid lines and crowded conditions.  We may lose spontaneity, but perhaps it will be easier for crew to deal with even recalcitrant guests.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, I count myself lucky I was just doing cruise research last February when COVID was really hitting the news, and that both my internist and ob/gyn were strongly opposed to any cruise plans when it came up in conversation during annual check ups that month.  I made no deposits, I've no FCC's that I wonder if I'll ever use.

That said, for me it'll be well after we establish that we can treat COVID fairly easily and everywhere.  If I must quarantine, or seek real supportive medical assistance, I much prefer my own home and hospitals if possible. 

I also want to see what protocols are put in place and, more importantly, how they're enforced day in, day out, from crew safety to on land medical support.  Then, I'll decide whether the vacation experience offered at that time is worthwhile to me. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Quote from a contributor: “Again, once you have sailed on Regent, a lot of things will become much more clear.  And, prior to your first Regent cruise, hopefully you can ask questions so that we can give you tips on how to have the best experience possible on Regent.  Based our experience, Regent is not like Silversea or Crystal (although both cruise lines are very good).  Regent has a unique family feeling that I did not find on other cruise lines”

Really? We need tips from an “oldie cheerleader” to enjoy a Regent cruise and once you drink the koolaid it will all become clear and you will see things the same as “we do”. Wow! I have sailed on Regent and Crystal and my experience is that Crystal felt friendlier and less stuffy. The staff we interacted with knew us by name even when we came back for the next cruise. They were cheerful and helpful. Regent is very similar but to downgrade Silversea or Crystal is not doing them justice. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Really? We need tips from an “oldie cheerleader” to enjoy a Regent cruise and once you drink the koolaid it will all become clear and you will see things the same as “we do”.

And remember, this "cheerleader" has acknowledged many times how they would rather interact with the crew than fellow passengers

• Like 8

15 hours ago, mrlevin said:

And what happens if it turns out to be a "false" positive?  Do Ponant and each of the cruisers have legal rights against the lab?

I’ve read about “false negatives” with the instant tests. Haven’t read much about false positives.